Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($)

  • 83% [5]
  • 0% [0]
  • 16% [1]
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2014, 23:00
Hi Friends! I need some opinions on the choice I need to make to start my MBA this year.

I have secured an admit in the following three business schools:

1. Rotman School of Management (University of Toronto, Canada)
2. Sauder School of Business (University of British Columbia, Canada)
3. Weatherhead School of Management (Case Western Reserve University, USA) - 50% Scholarship

I am an Automation Engineer from New Delhi, India. I aim to enter high-tech product management in e-commerce, tech or consumer goods industry. In the short term, location is not too important for me as I want to transition into the new role first.

I want your opinions to help me weigh the pros and cons of the three schools, although my first choice would be Rotman, due to its No.1 ranking in Canada, it's friendly loan program (no co-signer for intl students), an innovative curriculum, and it's Toronto location.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Location: Thailand
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 22:21
Have you spoken to anyone from the current student body in clubs or recruiting for the positions you are interested in or recent alums in those roles? They will give you a much better idea of where each school stands. Sauder seems to have decent placement in hi-tech and Rotman should be doing good in Toronto. I have no idea about Case Western, though it might make sense to have less of a financial burden.

If immediate role post-MBA is the most important aspect of your decision, then dig deeper. Talk to students and alums, career centres, recruiters if you can etc.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 57
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 11:26
I would take Rotman. You get a loan. You get a visa. You live in a huge multicultural city. I checked out the facility, it is brand new and very nice. Great professors. If you want to work in the USA, it probably will not be great for you, but if you want to move to North America and work in Toronto, you are set.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 21:01
mistablair wrote:
I would take Rotman. You get a loan. You get a visa. You live in a huge multicultural city. I checked out the facility, it is brand new and very nice. Great professors. If you want to work in the USA, it probably will not be great for you, but if you want to move to North America and work in Toronto, you are set.


I totally agree with you. And I do prefer Canada than the US in the short term, so I guess Rotman should be the best choice.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 21:01
westsidah408 wrote:
Have you spoken to anyone from the current student body in clubs or recruiting for the positions you are interested in or recent alums in those roles? They will give you a much better idea of where each school stands. Sauder seems to have decent placement in hi-tech and Rotman should be doing good in Toronto. I have no idea about Case Western, though it might make sense to have less of a financial burden.

If immediate role post-MBA is the most important aspect of your decision, then dig deeper. Talk to students and alums, career centres, recruiters if you can etc.



Thanks a lot for this input. I think doing this kind of a background research is very important indeed.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Mock Interviews for Business Schools
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 192
Location: United States
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 22:38
Congratulations on getting admits from Rotman,Sauder and Weatherhead. For a transition in the e-commerce,tech or consumer goods industry, Sauder would be the best schoice. Though Rotman is the higher ranked school among the three, Rotman has a high percentage of students getting into Financial services and Consulting industries. Weatherhead on the other hand, has higher percentage of students getting into manufacturing and consulting sector. Though, Weatherhead is providing you with a 50% scholarship and Rotman is the higher ranked school, I would suggest you to overlook these and head to Sauder.

Good Luck!
www.interviewbay.com
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2012
Posts: 77
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2014, 22:56
InterviewBay2 wrote:
Congratulations on getting admits from Rotman,Sauder and Weatherhead. For a transition in the e-commerce,tech or consumer goods industry, Sauder would be the best schoice. Though Rotman is the higher ranked school among the three, Rotman has a high percentage of students getting into Financial services and Consulting industries. Weatherhead on the other hand, has higher percentage of students getting into manufacturing and consulting sector. Though, Weatherhead is providing you with a 50% scholarship and Rotman is the higher ranked school, I would suggest you to overlook these and head to Sauder.

Good Luck!
http://www.interviewbay.com



I applied to Sauder specifically for its Product and Service Management track which fits me perfectly, but Rotman has the attraction of the 3 year work permit after graduation. Do you know if its really an issue for an International student? So if Rotman is giving the work permit, then is it doing the students a great favor because its very difficult to get a work permit for international students?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2012
Posts: 57
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 09:30
You should qualify for the work permit from Sauder as well. My understanding is that if you do a 2-year graduate program in Canada, you qualify for the work permit.
Re: Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($)   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2014, 09:30
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) eeshan89 0 22 Mar 2014, 23:14
Experts publish their posts in the topic Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) eeshan89 1 22 Mar 2014, 23:14
Experts publish their posts in the topic Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) eeshan89 1 22 Mar 2014, 23:13
Experts publish their posts in the topic Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) eeshan89 3 22 Mar 2014, 23:12
Experts publish their posts in the topic Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($) eeshan89 3 22 Mar 2014, 23:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Rotman vs Sauder vs Weatherhead ($)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.