Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rotman vs. Schulich

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Rotman vs. Schulich [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 15:40
Hi..

I've been accepted to Rotman and Schulich and I have to make a decision by next week. I've been going crazy researching and trying to figure out which school to attend.
I just stumbled upon this forum, i wish I had found it earlier. Anyways, I was hoping that maybe someone could shed some insight on which school they think would be the better choice.

Here's my situation:

I'm interested in either Finance or consulting....however, there's a possiblility that I may apply for law school after an MBA.

I live right by York, but I would move out to attend Rotman...which I don't mind..just highlighting a cost difference.

Thus far, speaking to people in the industry, everyone has suggested that I attend York, but I'm leaning towards rotman. Reasons being: higher quality of classmates (based on admit stats), historic reputation of UT, job placement rate, internship opportunity, and many other factors..

However, common sense tells me to go to York. Its significantly cheaper (making it easier for me to pay for law school afterwards, if I choose to take that route) and its reputation has been consistantly rising.
If i wanted to, i could even finish the program in 8 months with advance standing, but I dont really want to do that cause I won't establish any relationships with students or have a strong grasp of the material, I did my B.Comm years ago

Also, from what i understand, esp. for finance and consulting jobs, your grades are very important in finding a job. And the consensus I have heard so far is that schulich would be easier to finish higher in the class (I personally dont know if that is true, but seems reasonable given the admit stats and the higher # of competition for finance/consulting jobs at UT)

Sooo...if anyone can provide some thoughts or opinions...that would be greatly appreciated, I've been going insane trying to pick one..

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 18:23
These two schools are very evenly matched. There is not a massive advantage in favor of Toronto in the admit stats- indeed the center of the distribution is essentially the same and Toronto has a much wider dispersion.

Have you considered an LLB-MBA or JD/MBA?

"A limited number of students in Schulich MBA 1 or the first year of the Osgoode Hall LLB program will be considered each year for direct admission into the MBA/LLB joint program."
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 18:31
thanks for the quick response.

I have applied for the osgoode/schulich joint program. Although my lsat is a 95th, my gpa probably won't be strong enough.
I did ask if i could apply after the first year and have not yet received a response from osgoode. But looks like you found the answer to that for me, thanks.

So my take is that you believe they are both equally good.
Now factoring in costs, Schulich would be the better choice?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 22:29
I was in a similar situation few weeks ago, I have since decide to attend Rotman, maybe something here will help:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25715
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2006, 23:36
Congrats...

actually i did read that thread....I came away thinking of choosing Rotman as well...

However, after hearing from so many others and now Hjort as well, that job prospects are similar between the two. Im wondering if maybe Schulich would be a better choice based on the huge costs difference.

I guess I can't really go wrong either way. Im starting to think I should just flip a coin. I have a week to decide and my choice changes daily.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2006, 04:24
The big question at this point is which school is a better match with your personality. If the two schools are pretty much even on this count as well it would be hard not to choose York.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2006, 09:17
What helped me decide was taking a tour of both schools and visiting them more than once. It started off as a tough decision but towards the end i was sure I wanted to go to Rotman, but that was just my personal feeling towards the schools. I've done a lot of research on both schools though so feel free to ask me anything.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
Asia? [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2006, 10:21
Hjort!

I am leaning towards going to Rotman also (mostly because of location and reputation in financial industry).

But there is also a big chance that I will want to go to China/Hong Kong to work after my MBA. How well are Canadian schools recognized in aisa?

Would it be much better to go to a top 10 US school over Rotman in order to assure better opportunities and recognition overseas?

Thanks!
Asia?   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2006, 10:21

Rotman vs. Schulich

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap