Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 10:10

Today

Waiting for Decisions? Join us in the chat | All GMAT Club Tests are Free and Open

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

rough ballpark of my chances...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

rough ballpark of my chances... [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 10:34
Hi Linda and all,

I'm hoping you can give me your opinion of my chances. While it's hard to accurately assess without a full application, here is the profile at least.
I'm looking to get these in by Round 2. My top choice is the Northwestern JD/MBA (but that's besides the point). I am considering 3 more schools out of Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Berkeley. But one thing in the back of the head is whether a dream shot at Harvard or Wharton is even possible (meaning anything higher than a million to 1 shot). Please let me know as best as you can what you think.

28, Asian Male NYC. (not sure if that's a negative though).
3.3 UG GPA, Finance/Marketing Minor: Journalism
GMAT: 690 79%M/89%V - 720 81%M/96%V
(the puzzling part is that I've never scored less than a 98% in any standardized math test in my life except for these two (even practice tests), but taking it a third time would just seem silly)

In Finance for 6 yrs. Large-Sell side corporations. 2.5 yrs, then 4yrs, and now about 6 mos (now VP) My worry is that may be very run of the mill for an applicant, along with my UG majors.

Recs: Nothing overly strong. I would say serviceable ones from former managers.

Activities: UG: various activities, an officer position for one (University Peer Mediation services), was an RA (which helped pay for housing).
Post UG: Volunteer at NYCares for probably 5-6 years now, teach at an SAT program for underprivileged kids, again....run of the mill activities I feel too. Maybe Improv classes, etc.

I wanted to gather your opinion because as I am going through this application process, I feel I may have walked into a situation where my profile looks too traditional. I wouldn't necessarily have founded any organization like some have, I excel at my projects and tasks at work, but obviously have leadership potential, but I tend to be more of a team player type than brash rah-rah leader.

I'd like to start my own business at some point and would be pursuing the entrepreneural aspects on the MBA. Thanks for any input/advice you can give in advance!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 64

Re: rough ballpark of my chances... [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 18:04
Expert's post
slacker wrote:
Hi Linda and all,

I'm hoping you can give me your opinion of my chances. While it's hard to accurately assess without a full application, here is the profile at least.
I'm looking to get these in by Round 2. My top choice is the Northwestern JD/MBA (but that's besides the point). I am considering 3 more schools out of Yale, Columbia, Chicago, Berkeley. But one thing in the back of the head is whether a dream shot at Harvard or Wharton is even possible (meaning anything higher than a million to 1 shot). Please let me know as best as you can what you think.

28, Asian Male NYC. (not sure if that's a negative though).
3.3 UG GPA, Finance/Marketing Minor: Journalism
GMAT: 690 79%M/89%V - 720 81%M/96%V
(the puzzling part is that I've never scored less than a 98% in any standardized math test in my life except for these two (even practice tests), but taking it a third time would just seem silly)

In Finance for 6 yrs. Large-Sell side corporations. 2.5 yrs, then 4yrs, and now about 6 mos (now VP) My worry is that may be very run of the mill for an applicant, along with my UG majors.

Recs: Nothing overly strong. I would say serviceable ones from former managers.

Activities: UG: various activities, an officer position for one (University Peer Mediation services), was an RA (which helped pay for housing).
Post UG: Volunteer at NYCares for probably 5-6 years now, teach at an SAT program for underprivileged kids, again....run of the mill activities I feel too. Maybe Improv classes, etc.

I wanted to gather your opinion because as I am going through this application process, I feel I may have walked into a situation where my profile looks too traditional. I wouldn't necessarily have founded any organization like some have, I excel at my projects and tasks at work, but obviously have leadership potential, but I tend to be more of a team player type than brash rah-rah leader.

I'd like to start my own business at some point and would be pursuing the entrepreneural aspects on the MBA. Thanks for any input/advice you can give in advance!

I don't see HBS in your future, but your profile is competitive at the other schools (and actualy is also competitive at HBS, but I don't think you have the leadership they want.) The other programs will want leadership too, but they value teamwork more so in my mind an acceptance is more likely form the others.

Your challenge is to distinguish yourself from people with similar backgrounds both personal and professional. On one hand, you will sound very similar to your competition, but if you look at specifics and details, you will be able to distinguish yourself.

I have written alot on this topic over the years: Perhaps you can start with "Being Yourself."

You may want to consider the ebook I co-authored [urlhttp://www.accepted.com/Ecommerce/ebook2.aspx]The Finance Professional's Guide to MBA Admission[/url]. We deal there with how to distinguish yourself from other finance professionals.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

thanks. [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2005, 21:54
Thanks Linda for the input!

So an essay with a metaphor about being the glue holding the (desk? building?) together rather than the asthetic outside would not fly for HBS, but more likely one of the others.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 64

Re: thanks. [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:28
Expert's post
slacker wrote:
Thanks Linda for the input!

So an essay with a metaphor about being the glue holding the (desk? building?) together rather than the asthetic outside would not fly for HBS, but more likely one of the others.

I'm not sure how it would fly an any school. Use of the metaphor and the details and thought behind it will determine the success of that and any other metaphor in an essay.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog