Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 12:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rounds and Resume

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth (WL & Denied), Duke Fuqua (IN), UNC KF (IN)
WE 1: Transportation Infrastructure, Public Sector, India
WE 2: Transportation Safety, State of California
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Rounds and Resume [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 13:52
Hello,

Two questions:
1.I am planning to apply to Stanford, Wharton, Booth and Haas in Round I and Kellogg and Duke in Round II for FT program starting 2011. I am a Transportation Engineer with 7 yrs of work exp in government, India & U.S. (transportation and infrastructure sector). I wish to become an entrepreneur in infrastructure developments in developing countries.

Given this brief history, which Round should I select while applying to the top schools? I read at several blogs that the Round I usually gets applications from stronger applicants, particularly from the well known feeder industries (Consulting, Investment Banking etc.). Does this mean that I may have a better chance if I apply in Round II?

Stanford says it receives the largest volume of application in Round II, and suggests to apply for Round I. Booth says it awards the most number of admissions in the second round. I am a bit confused. Could you please help with some suggestions?
2. With over seven years of professional experience, should my Professional Experience or Education come first in my Resume? In my Education part, I have a 4.0 GPA for my Masters from US and a top-of-class rank for my UG degree from India.

Thanks for your response,
Regards,
Niladri.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 195

Re: Rounds and Resume [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 18:34
Expert's post
Niladri,

First, regarding your resume, always put your professional experience first when apply to b-school.

As for rounds, I keep waiting for all schools to just go to rolling admissions like law school or even to segment the process like medical school (clearinghouse application, supplemental applications, interviews, admits). The rounds system just confuses more than helps.

Here is what you need to know:

They use rounds of admissions for two reasons: 1) because b-school is a midstream degree, not all the candidates come to the "I should attend" realizations perfectly in lockstep with a fall application period. 2) It helps them with enrollment management. When you can see what is coming in the door in batches, you can be far more exact in your decisions. This is one of the reasons why you see huge yield numbers at top b-schools (especially compared to top law schools, although the open-ended nature of the law school app also has something to do with it).

Here is what else you need to know:

The difference between round one and round two is negligible, at best. There is almost never a statistical difference. (Applying to round three is another matter.) What Stanford and Booth are saying ... both true statements. But they mean the same thing. Stanford gets more apps in round two - they also admit students corresponding to that fact, which means more admits. Booth admits more students round two - they also get apps corresponding to that fact, which means more applications. The question is why they phrase things differently and it probably comes down to when you heard it. Most schools will have some version of "you should apply round one," but it's not something to take too much stock in. Why? Because they want your application early. If they get it early, they've got it for good and can put it on the ledger. If you wait, you might not apply there or anywhere else. Early apps are the best apps for b-schools.

For all these reasons, round one is more hype than anything else.

Don't rush to get things in for round one if it means that your application will suffer even a tiny bit.

Sorry that this is causing you stress. Don't let it.

Thanks for reaching out.

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago Booth (WL & Denied), Duke Fuqua (IN), UNC KF (IN)
WE 1: Transportation Infrastructure, Public Sector, India
WE 2: Transportation Safety, State of California
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Rounds and Resume [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 22:03
Thanks a lot, I appreciate your detailed response,
Niladri.