Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
 Q50  V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Royally screwed up! 1st time: 630, 2nd time: 480!!! [#permalink]
katgirl82 wrote:
Okay I royally screwed myself. I took the GMAT about a month ago and scored a 630 (42Q and 34V). I studied my ass off and felt confident that I could increase my score the 2nd time around. I was doing well (mid 600s) in my practice tests and felt like I was much more prepared going into my 2nd exam. As I looked at my score for the 2nd exam (480, 27Q and 29V) I was seriously about to DIE. I am SOOO DEVASTATED and I have no idea what happened!! I contacted the administration to see if there was a mistake..but apparently I just really screwed up.

Now i have to decide whether it makes sense for me to try to take the GMAT again when the 2nd round of application deadlines are coming up so close!! I am running out of time and plus i have to wait 31 days to retake the exam again. If i score low again that means my 2 most recent scores will be bombs.

I don't know what to dooooo! Everytime I think about this I feel like crying.

This is exactly what happened to me. I went from a 560 on my first GMAT to ~650 in GMAT Prep (even got a 720 on MGMAT CAT 1) to 480 on my most recent GMAT.

I'm seriously considering putting an end to this cause I've spent way too much time on a single test.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
630 is a great score. Top 77th percentile. You may want cut your losses, and stick with that score.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
what's the average of your target schools?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I was planning on applying to university of michigan and michigan state. But now it looks like University of Michigan is definetly out of the running. I was hoping to improve at least 30 points from my 630 score.

University of michigan's: Average: 690. Range (25-75%): 640-740

Michigan State: Average: 636 Range (25-75%): 580-700

I was right about average for Michigan State, even though they consider the highest score..Won't they see that i bombed the 2nd time around? I feel like that will definetly hurt me.

Should I take the test one more time in mid december? Or should i just cut my losses and focus on my applications???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
[#permalink]
katgirl82 wrote:
I was planning on applying to university of michigan and michigan state. But now it looks like University of Michigan is definetly out of the running. I was hoping to improve at least 30 points from my 630 score.

I was right about average for Michigan State, even though they consider the highest score..Won't they see that i bombed the 2nd time around? I feel like that will definetly hurt me.

Should I take the test one more time in mid december? Or should i just cut my losses and focus on my applications???

30% of the test takers who retake the GMAT score lower in the second or third attempts. It's not uncommon.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
katgirl82 wrote:

I think with your score you are fine with state uni, but if you aim higher, give it a shoot and take it

good luck
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I scored almost that low on my third attempt (570, 590, 500, then finally 640). Most schools only look at your HIGHEST score so perhaps you should give it one more earnest attempt. If your score goes down again, at least you can choose to report the 630 and mention that you were sick or something to mitigate the 480. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
After the denial phase, it is critical to come to terms with result.

Can you go back to the exam day and think about any significant event which may have ocurred that led you down this score. Did you spend too much time on the problem and had to guess the last few. If you cannot pinpoint an exact cause then its down to fundas.

OK if the root cause is fundamentals then you should invest solid 1 month in complete immersion without burning out !!

If you don't have time to build your Fundamentals which can take about 1-2 months then stick to MSU.

From my vantage point and from a prestige perspective, UM is the way to go. If you have the time you should take another crack at GMAT.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to give it another whirl and I'm taking my test on Dec 17th.

I read in another area of this forum (could be a big myth) that if you do really poorly on the quantitative portion that they start you off poorly on the verbal so it's harder to get a better score. I wonder if this happened my case? Do you think this is true or are they are not related? Maybe just wishful thinking.. I probably just screwed up on both.

For the quant portion I remember I was really stuck on the 3rd problem and I started to really panic and lose my cool. That could have been the reason for the huge drop in score. Sometimes I think a good amount of luck is involved with the questions you are given.

I will try this time to really work on fundamentals, because before I was just testing myself on the "hard questions" and maybe not focusing too much on the fundamentals of it.

Thanks again guys!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts