Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

rule for simple past and past perfect

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 06:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
While taking the GMAT tests I figured that I go wrong with the simple past and past perfect tenses.
I understand that past perfect is used when there are two actions and one is completed before the action takes place. However, i noticed there are many at times when i go wrong. Are there any word triggers or any other such thing to help decide when to use simple past and when to use past perfect?

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 473 [1] , given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 20:49
This post received
KUDOS
bassiseema wrote:
While taking the GMAT tests I figured that I go wrong with the simple past and past perfect tenses.
I understand that past perfect is used when there are two actions and one is completed before the action takes place. However, i noticed there are many at times when i go wrong. Are there any word triggers or any other such thing to help decide when to use simple past and when to use past perfect?

Thanks

Courtesey Wiki Answers:

We will use the verb 'eat' (an irregular verb) to illustrate the difference between past tense and past perfect tense.
Introductory grammar notes: The past tense of eat is ate. The past participle (used for forming the 'past perfect') is eaten.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAST TENSE: The 'past tense' form is used to show what happened/finished in a time before now.

e.g. 'Yesterday I ate three big bars of chocolate.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PAST PERFECT TENSE: The 'past perfect' tense is used to show that an action had already finished before something else also happened in the past. There are two events in the past, and one happened before the other.

Past Perfect form: had + (past participle).

e.g., 'I was very ill yesterday afternoon. I think this was because I had eaten three bars of chocolate at lunch time!'

Notice that two things are mentioned as happening yesterday. First (in time), I ate three bars of chocolate, and, later, subsequently, I was ill.

In this case there is possibly a causal relationship between the two events, but this isn't always so when the past perfect is used.

e.g. 'I had only just put the washing out when it started to rain!'

It is extremely unlikely that putting the washing out to dry actually causes it to rain! However, notice again that there are two events, one following the other, i.e. (i) the washing was put out. (ii) it started to rain.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 10:25
can someone throw light on the same topic

which tense can be used when "after" and "before" are used in the sentence

san-franciscans-of-the-1890s-mocked-the-claim-that-declared-los-angeles-a-world-city-101974.html#p791433

I am sure above thread will make some value addition and lead this discussion to a new paradigm

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1525 [1] , given: 248

Re: rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Usage of past tense and past perfect tense

Use of past perfect is essentially a chronological factor, when two events that started and ended in the past are to be marked with proper tenses. In this scenario, the one that is clearly the earlier, will be in past perfect and the one that is later in simple past. Supposing there were more than two event the last of one of the series of action will entail a simple past tense, while the all the previous ones will entail use of past perfect.

Thus, to cite an example,

1. I had woken up pretty late in the morning and darted to the office like a bullet.

Only two events and hence the last one is in simple past and the earlier one is in past perfect.

2. I had woken up, pretty late, taken bath quickly, eaten my breakfast in a gulp and darted to the office like a bullet.
More than two events, only the last one in simple past and all the other earlier ones, though more than one, marked in past perfect.

By logical predication, a past perfect can not exist alone without an accompanying simple past. Thus when only one event is involved, you can not express it in the past perfect.

Ex; I had taken two cups of tea this morning
Ex; I had lived in Canada in the 1980s

Both the above examples are wrong, because they are not accompanied by a simple past event.
The correct answers are: I took two cups of tea; I lived in Canada 1980s.

Similarly, even if there is more the one event, say two, three or four, you can not mark all of them with past perfect. At least, one function should be there in simple past, naturally the last of the events, to expose the chronological difference

3. When the events that occurred in the past are not distinguishable in regard to the timing, or if they occurred at the same time, then only simple past should be used for all the events.

Ex: As I entered the room, I was shocked to see the students snoring
Here, entering and being shocked are happening at the same time. You can not say one is earlier than the other. So use simple past for both.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 00:55
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '13 (D)
GPA: 3.11
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 28

Re: rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 04:07
good explanation Daagh & hussain...thanks +1

Re-taking GMAT. Hope the charm works this time.. :)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 480 Q32 V25
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 44

Re: rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 09:07
daagh wrote:

Use of past perfect is essentially a chronological factor, when two events that started and ended in the past are to be marked with proper tenses. In this scenario, the one that is clearly the earlier, will be in past perfect and the one that is later in simple past. Supposing there were more than two event the last of one of the series of action will entail a simple past tense, while the all the previous ones will entail use of past perfect.

1. I had woken up pretty late in the morning and darted to the office like a bullet.

Only two events and hence the last one is in simple past and the earlier one is in past perfect.

2. I had woken up, pretty late, taken bath quickly, eaten my breakfast in a gulp and darted to the office like a bullet.
More than two events, only the last one in simple past and all the other earlier ones, though more than one, marked in past perfect.

By logical predication, a past perfect can not exist alone without an accompanying simple past. Thus when only one event is involved, you can not express it in the past perfect.

Both the above examples are wrong, because they are not accompanied by a simple past event.

Similarly, even if there is more the one event, say two, three or four, you can not mark all of them with past perfect. At least, one function should be there in simple past, naturally the last of the events, to expose the chronological difference

3. When the events that occurred in the past are not distinguishable in regard to the timing, or if they occurred at the same time, then only simple past should be used for all the events.

Here, entering and being shocked are happening at the same time. You can not say one is earlier than the other. So use simple past for both.

Hi,

As per you explanation, will you please clarify the following example. For me both A and B looks correct. If its not, will you please clarify.

1. A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

The correct answer is A. Why not B or D ?

Kabilan.K
Kudos is a boost to participate actively and contribute more to the forum :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: rule for simple past and past perfect [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2013, 06:56
kabilank87 wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi,

As per you explanation, will you please clarify the following example. For me both A and B looks correct. If its not, will you please clarify.

1. A 1972 agreement between Canada and the United States reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump into the Great Lakes.

(A) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities had been allowed to dump
(B) reduced the phosphate amount that municipalities had been dumping
(C) reduces the phosphate amount municipalities have been allowed to dump
(D) reduced the amount of phosphates that municipalities are allowed to dump
(E) reduces the amount of phosphates allowed for dumping by municipalities

The correct answer is A. Why not B or D ?

Hi, I was quite confused by your answer A, for me it was obvious it was D, so I check on the GMAT Club an I have found your answer: a-1972-agreement-between-canada-and-the-united-states-reduce-82589-360.html

Hope it helps!

Think outside the box

Re: rule for simple past and past perfect   [#permalink] 28 Oct 2013, 06:56