Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commission

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commission [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 15:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commission requires that every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and that the telephone number of origin be included as well.
(A) requires that every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and that the telephone number of origin be included as well
(B) require that every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and that the telephone number of origin be included as well
(C) requires every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin as well
(D) require that every fax transmission include a header or a footer with the identification of the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin
(E) require that every fax transmission include a header or a footer with the identity of the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 16:35
(E) it is.

Subjunctive mood.

(A), (B), (C): out: simultaneously using "and" and "as well"
(C): "and the telephone number of origin as well" : verb is missing.
(D): i guess it skews the actual meaning. We can include identity alongwith header and footer but not identity. I hope I am right. :lol:
"include a header or a footer with the identity of the sender" seems better than "include a header or a footer with the identification of the sender"
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commiss [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 18:48
qhoc0010 wrote:
Rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commission requires that every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and that the telephone number of origin be included as well.
(A) requires that every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and that the telephone number of origin be included as well
(B) require that every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and that the telephone number of origin be included as well
(C) requires every fax transmission include a header or a footer identifying the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin as well
(D) require that every fax transmission include a header or a footer with the identification of the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin
(E) require that every fax transmission include a header or a footer with the identity of the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin

I go with B.
D, E are inappropriate.

identification of the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin is ambiguous.

identification (of the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin ) or (identification of the sender of the message) and (the telephone number of origin ) who knows?

Besids "with" pharse seems modify require.

:oops:
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 06:58
...require that every fax transmission include a header or a footer with the identity of the sender of the message and the telephone number of origin....

"And" is used to join these two portions...

chunjuwu/Saurabh
Will you please tell me what is wrong with (E)?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 08:51
E.

identification,I think is process of identifying so doesnt go well in D.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commiss [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 09:20
qhoc0010 wrote:

Initially we have to work with the plural rules telling us that we need a plural form of the verb require. So A and C are automatically out. Leaving B, D and E. In B the second use of that is redundant and wordy, along with the as well at the end of the sentence, we know it must be there as well, because the included indicates this. As for D and E, my initial response would be that the answer must be E because identity is concrete. An identity is a name. But identification could be a number of attributes, name, address, height, weight, etc. I would go with E.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 09:37
"B"....bet "B", D and E....header or footer should identify the sender, D and E seem to be saying that there is no link between header or footer and the identity of the sender. Agree "B" is not a gr8 choice either.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 19:47
OA is (E)
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2005, 23:21
Oh

could somebody explain why not B or D more explicitly?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 12:29
Some one please let us know the explanation.....Why E ?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 12:34
jpv:

You have written that E is subjunctive.

As I understand since "that" is preceding the underlined part of the sentence to be corrected did you come to a conclusion it is subjunctive?

If so why not "identification" instead of "identify"?

Please elucidate
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 19:27
gmat2me2 wrote:
As I understand since "that" is preceding the underlined part of the sentence to be corrected did you come to a conclusion it is subjunctive?

:yes There is a nice discussion on Subjunctive mood in this thread. I guess, it answers ur question.
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=85235

gmat2me2 wrote:
If so why not "identification" instead of "identify"?

I dont whether I got ur question correctly.. :roll:

idenity/identification has nothing to do with sunjuctive. Both are GRAMMATICALLY correct in this sentence but there meaning is slightly different.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 20:53
jpv:

Thanks for the link and also your description. I think that should solve my problem. Initially was confused with the subjunctive mood stuff....

Thanks anyways though
  [#permalink] 26 Feb 2005, 20:53