Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 7

Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:34) correct 25% (02:32) wrong based on 9 sessions
Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are exaggerated. It is true that automobile manufactures’ share of the industry’s revenues fell from 65 percent two years ago to 50 percent today, but over the same period suppliers of automobile parts had their share increase from 15 percent to 20 percent and service companies (for example, distributors, dealers, and repairers) had their share increase from 20 percent to 30 percent.

Which one of the following best indicates why the statistics given above provide by themselves no evidence for the conclusion they are intended to support?

(A) The possibility is left open that the statistics for manufactures’ share of revenues come from a different source than the other statistics.
(B) No matter what changes the automobile industry’s overall revenues undergo, the total of all shares of these revenues must be 100 percent.
(C) No explanation is given for why the revenue shares of different sectors of the industry changed.
(D) Manufactures and parts companies depend for their revenue on dealers’ success in selling cars.
(E) Revenues are an important factor but are not the only factor in determining profits.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 11:21
I will choose B..Whats the correct answer ?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Olin
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 12:46
B
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: CR: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 12:57
I will revel the OA later but can you guys explain why B and not ACDE?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 13:09
I think its C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 13:52
If my understanding is right, this is a weaken question and I feel A weakens the argument. I will be stumped if B is the OA
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 15:33
I would go with C.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 16:10
Fistail wrote:
Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are exaggerated. It is true that automobile manufactures’ share of the industry’s revenues fell from 65 percent two years ago to 50 percent today, but over the same period suppliers of automobile parts had their share increase from 15 percent to 20 percent and service companies (for example, distributors, dealers, and repairers) had their share increase from 20 percent to 30 percent.

Which one of the following best indicates why the statistics given above provide by themselves no evidence for the conclusion they are intended to support?

(A) The possibility is left open that the statistics for manufactures’ share of revenues come from a different source than the other statistics.
(B) No matter what changes the automobile industry’s overall revenues undergo, the total of all shares of these revenues must be 100 percent.
(C) No explanation is given for why the revenue shares of different sectors of the industry changed.
(D) Manufactures and parts companies depend for their revenue on dealers’ success in selling cars.
(E) Revenues are an important factor but are not the only factor in determining profits.

I would go with C.
The stem says that manufacturers' share of revenue is decreased while dealers' increased. it is negative correlation, which is very rarely seen in between those two sectors. Overal, no reasoning is give to support the rumored decline. Probably, new entrants in manufacturing have started sharing the sector revenue. Thus ones like Ford lost their revenue to Japanese ones while dealers started upping by diversifying their portfolios with new entrants' cars. But no evidence give to support that makes the statistics weak.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: CR: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 00:45
I am for B
Fistail wrote:
Bold part is the conclusion. Premises do not support the conclusion.
Whatever the share of sub-sectors, industry-wide revenue slide is uneffected. B does a good job pointing it

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 04:18
To show that there is decrease in the total revenue of the automobile industry, data to be given supporting the rumored decline. But the premises are showing the percentages of different market segments of the automobile industry. From these percentages we cannot make out whether there is a decline in the revenue. B-correctly states that.

hence the answer B!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: CR: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2007, 19:29
thanx everybody

OA is B.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2012, 08:35
B for me but real tough question i must say

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 11

Re: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 08:24
The source of this Question is PowerScore CR Bible, pg 273. Moderator:please tag.

Knowing total market share is 100%, no matter what happen, direct you to B only.
Re: Rumored declines in automobile-industry revenues are   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2012, 08:24