Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 06:44
sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, wasn't sure where else to ask.

anyway i know some people on this forum may be a bit biased towards an mba but please give me your input on the following situation.

i got into both the rutgers mba program and the masters in integrated marketing program at nyu.

my experience to date is 12 years of running a mid size marketing business which has hit some hard times so i'm looking to get a masters degree and go to work for a large company in the marketing department while keeping my business on the side.

i would love to live and work in nyc so i figure nyu as a school is the better choice (i did my undergrad at rutgers by the way) but i also know an mba does have a bit better reputation.

another thing to consider is that i am pretty bad at math (i got top 10th percentile on my gmat in verbal and 33rd in quant) so no question i will have a much harder time with an mba curriculum, i'm sure i'll get through it but i would definitely excel at the nyu program while getting by at rutgers.

thoughts?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 15:51
anyone?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 17:32
Have no idea about the rutgers mba program or the integrated marketing program at nyu, but why are you going back to school? I understand you want a job in marketing, but why couldn't your experience running your own company and network get you a job? 12 years running a marketing company easily trumps an unranked MBA program.
Intern
Intern

Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 17:43
not when your undergrad is in labor studies and employment relations (hr field). it would be very hard to go from what i'm doing now to working in say google's marketing department. a lot of my business is just hard to "show" to an employer so...
rutgers mba is ranked #50 thought, may not be that great but they're #3 in the tri-state which's where i wanna work and it's a HUGE school so good chance to run into someone who went here, as is nyu ofcourse.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 18:19
NYU's MS degree in Integrated Marketing is offered through SCPS. SCPS was created for (mainly) two purposes: 1) NYU wanted access to professionals (especially employees of companies with reimbursement for professional education) without stringent admissions requirement, 2) School of Continuing Professional Studies is an awesome source of revenue.

Getting a degree from SCPS is recommended (preferably) if you are currently employed, and require additional education for your job (without stringent admissions requirement). SCPS offers very limited assistance with employment opportunities, and you will not have access to Stern's Career Services, etc. Also, if you ever visited the SCPS admissions and administrative office, you will get an idea of how important (purpose other than - source of revenue) this school is to rest of NYU. If they haven't moved it, it's located in a small crappy building next to Palladium (one of their dorms) where they have few classrooms for undergrads. There's one window where they service SCPS enrolled students, which looks like a window at a local small community bank, or WesternUnion. Professors are usually hired guns. They are not academics but professionals working in the industry.

In my opinion, a degree from SCPS will not accomplish your goal. I don't know much about Rutgers MBA, but MBA is probably a better option between the two.

Full disclosure - I graduated from NYU Stern Undergrad in 2005. I also took classes at NYU SCPS while I worked in the consulting arm of Big 4 post graduation. Like I said, SCPS is probably a better investment for people who are currently working.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 18:29
nink wrote:
NYU's MS degree in Integrated Marketing is offered through SCPS. SCPS was created for (mainly) two purposes: 1) NYU wanted access to professionals (especially employees of companies with reimbursement for professional education) without stringent admissions requirement, 2) School of Continuing Professional Studies is an awesome source of revenue.

Getting a degree from SCPS is recommended (preferably) if you are currently employed, and require additional education for your job (without stringent admissions requirement). SCPS offers very limited assistance with employment opportunities, and you will not have access to Stern's Career Services, etc. Also, if you ever visited the SCPS admissions and administrative office, you will an idea of how important this school is to rest of NYU. If they haven't moved it, it's located in a small crappy building next to Palladium (one of their dorms) where they have few classrooms for undergrads. There's one window where they service SCPS enrolled students, which looks like a window at a local small community bank, or WesternUnion.

In my opinion, a degree from SCPS will not accomplish your goal. I don't know much about Rutgers MBA, but MBA is probably a better option between the two.

Full disclosure - I graduated from NYU Stern Undergrad in 2005. I also took classes at NYU SCPS while I worked in the consulting arm of Big 4 post graduation. Like I said, SCPS is probably a better investment for people who are currently working.

thanks, i have heard that scps does not have the best reputation in the nyu community but to the outside world when you put masters in integrated marketing from nyu on your resume wouldn't it sort of imply general nyu. my sister goes to stern and she said she had no idea what school masters of integrated marketing was a part of until i considered it so i figured it would be the same to most employers.

i do have experience in marketing but not the paper to back it up so considering nyu has a better brand name than rutgers (rutgers mba is ranked 57) do you not think it would do the trick to have a masters in marketing from there, again my main goal is the degree not to learn more. also consider that my undergrad is from rutgers also so would getting my grad from elsewhere not be a good idea?
Intern
Intern

Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 08:43
bump
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 06:26
Hey fstep.
I`ll be sincerely interested in knowing what plan of action did u take on your decision to pursue your further studies ?
Did you end up going to Rutgers or NYU ?

Kindly Update !
-Aspirant :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 13:17
Nink,
I'm curious why you think NYU's SCPS is so easy to get into. From what I've been told, only about 30% of applicants make it into the Integrated Marketing program. If you have some statistics that state otherwise, I'd love to see them.

Also, you mention that SCPS offers very limited assistance with employment opportunities. Can you expand on that? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I'm not sure the last time you looked at the location of the SCPS school, but it's actually located in midtown, around 42nd and 6th. It's a prime location for working professionals such as myself. To trek all the way downtown is a pain.

To me, one of the benefits of NYU's Integrated Marketing Masters program is you're learning from professionals in the field. You're not learning from academics who've never worked in the field or haven't for some time. I don't trust the opinion of anyone who hasn't actually been in the field or at least hasn't been part of it for some time.

If you're great at algebra, like finance, and are looking for a general business degree, Stern seems like a great choice. But if you enjoy marketing and want to further your career in the field, I don't see a better choice than the Integrated Marketing Masters program. You've got alumni getting into top-level organizations like Google,
Nestlé, Oxygen Media, NBC Universal, Razorfish, Digitas, and more.

It may not be Yale, which it appears you work for, but it seems like an amazing program to me.
Re: Rutgers MBA vs NYU Masters in Integrated Marketing?   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2011, 13:17