Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Modifiersx   Parallelismx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [2]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China [#permalink]
Hi sayantanc2k

IMO, The only issue with D is meaning issue. "as much as" initiates an illogical comparison.
Anything else wrong with D?

BTW, got it correct - easy C.

Best
RZS
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheRzS wrote:
Hi sayantanc2k

IMO, The only issue with D is meaning issue. "as much as" initiates an illogical comparison.
Anything else wrong with D?

BTW, got it correct - easy C.

Best
RZS

Other than illogical comparison, there is one more issue with using "as much as": "as much as" is used for some measurable quantity - hence "informed style as much as content" is incorrect.

The usage of "as" (as it informed..) is alright - here "as" is used in the sense "because".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
magicmanisha wrote:
OA here is C, however I marked D, could you please confirm weather answer is C or D.

Let us start with a simple sentence and see how it is ambiguous:

Second world war influenced scientific advancement as much as quest for knowledge.

This can be interpreted in two ways:

Second world war influenced scientific advancement as much as (Second world war influenced) quest for knowledge. In other words, second world war influenced:

a. scientific advancement and
b. quest for knowledge.

However, another way of interpreting this is:

Second world war influenced scientific advancement as much as quest for knowledge (influenced scientific advancement). In other words, scientific advancement was influenced by:

a. Second world war
b. quest for knowledge

Now, coming to this sentence, Ryunosuke Akutagawa’s knowledge informed the following two things:

1. Literary style
2. Content of his fiction

With D, the sentence would be:

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China and Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

Now, here is the tricky thing. The above sentence can be interpreted as:

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China and Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction (informed his literary style)

Which means Ryunosuke Akutagawa’s literary style was informed by the following:

1. Ryunosuke Akutagawa’s knowledge
2. Content of his fiction

So, there is an ambiguity of meaning, if D is the answer choice. Now, perhaps this ambiguity might be “tolerated” in some sentence in GMAT, if there is no better option; but here, C is definitely clearer.

Great explanation. I have a quick question about the Both..And Idiom. Shouldn't it be both his literary style and and his . Don't we need a pronoun right after and.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [3]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ajohns52 wrote:
Great explanation. I have a quick question about the Both..And Idiom. Shouldn't it be both his literary style and and his . Don't we need a pronoun right after and.
The construction is both his literary style and the content of his fiction. There is no need to put a possessive pronoun after the and because we are looking for two nouns. Whether a possessive pronoun precedes those nouns doesn't really matter.

By the way, there are two possessives after the and: the one formed by the usage of of and the his. So the content of his fiction is still very much talking about his (fiction's) content. If we put it that way, however, we will end up with a slightly awkward construction: both his literary style and his fiction's content.
sayantanc2k wrote:
iMyself wrote:
brs1cob wrote:
there is something wrong here in the question.

here we are talking about RA's knowledge and then we should not use HIS. we can't use his to refer RA's knowledge. we can use HIS to refer RA.

please correct me if i am wrong.

The parts of speech ''Ryunosuke Akutagawa???s'' is adjective. It has been used in this sentence as possessive. If anything is used as 'he' in stead of ''Ryunosuke Akutagawa???s''is NOT ok. But, if any possessive (e.g., his) is used in stead of ''Ryunosuke Akutagawa???s'', then it is OK.
Am I right expert?

N.B. This thread is also seen in other popular thread. So, I request bb, or Bunuel to merge this topics. The link of another thread of same question is given below.
Thank you all...

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ryunosuke-ak ... 35722.html

1. Yes, your concept is correct.

2. Topics merged. Thank you for pointing out.

But, I'm confused on my own explanation. Can you remove my confusion expert?
The confusion is in the following question, which is discussed in Official Guide of GMAC, edition 2016, SC# 49.

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months.
(A) executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months
(B) executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months, were announced on Wednesday
(C) executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday
(D) executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months
(E) executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months

In this question the correct choice is D. We can easily eliminate choice A, B, and C for the wrong use of antecedent for pronoun 'his'. Here, 'executive's plans' and 'his' can't be the same thing-''executive's plans'' indicates the person's 'plan' and 'his' indicates the 'person himself'.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
But, I'm confused on my own explanation. Can you remove my confusion expert?
The confusion is in the following question, which is discussed in Official Guide of GMAC, edition 2016, SC# 49.

Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months.
(A) executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months
(B) executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months, were announced on Wednesday
(C) executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday
(D) executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months
(E) executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months

In this question the correct choice is D. We can easily eliminate choice A, B, and C for the wrong use of antecedent for pronoun 'his'. Here, 'executive's plans' and 'his' can't be the same thing-''executive's plans'' indicates the person's 'plan' and 'his' indicates the 'person himself'.
You might be confusing the possessive case with the objective case. His is the possessive form of he. Here we are talking about his strategy.

He: subject
Him: object
His: possessive

Even if we don't put anything after his we're still looking at a possessive (that book is his).

The first three options are incorrect because the outlining... clause needs executive, not executive's plans.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iMyself wrote:
I've written everything about my query in the following link at the last post of that thread. This 2 problems are similar to each other regarding possessive case.
Here is the link:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/outlining-hi ... 94-20.html

Thank you...
The name (Ryunosuke Akutagawa) is a noun. Ryunosuke Akutagawa's, however, is a possessive noun. The word his is also a possessive, and it is possible for a possessive (pronoun) to refer to a possessive (noun). Some terrible English "rules" say that he and him can refer only to Ryunosuke Akutagawa and not Ryunosuke Akutagawa's.

If you see Ryunosuke Akutagawa used: he, him, and his are all fine.
If you see Ryunosuke Akutagawa's used: he and him are not fine, but his is fine.

This sentence uses Ryunosuke Akutagawa's and his. His is okay with a possessive noun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
imhimanshu wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review 2015

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 79
Page: 686

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China and that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

(A) that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as
(B) that of Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, and it informed his literary style as well as
(C) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style and
(D) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as
(E) Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style in addition to

First Glance

The underline is long, so there's a good chance that the question will test Modifier, Parallelism, or Meaning issues.

Issues

(1) Parallelism: X, Y, and Z

There appears to be an X, Y, and Z list overlapping the underline: The literatures of X (Europe), Y (china) and Z (_____). Bingo─Parallelism! X and Y are already parallel. Is Z?

The first two items in the list are geographic locations (Europe and China). The third item should also be a location. That of refers to the word literatures, but the list Europe, China, and the literature of Japan is not parallel. Eliminate answers (A) and (B).

(2) Subject─Verb: were

The main subject of the original sentence is the word knowledge, which is singular. The main verb is were, which is plural.

The subject, knowledge, is not underlined, so the correct answer must contain a singular verb. Scan the answers; answers (A) and (E) both use the plural verb were. Eliminate answers (A) and (E).

Note: Why isn't the subject literatures? That's the trap! The word literatures is part of a prepositional phrase─of the literatures─and a noun within a prepositional phrase can't be the subject of the sentence.

(3) Idiom: both X as well as Y; both X in addition to Y

A vertical comparison of the answers reveals an idiom that's changing from answer to answer:

(A) informing his literary style as much as the content
(B) informing both his literary style as well as the content
(C) informing both his literary style and the content
(D) informed his literary style as much as the content
(E) informing both his literary style in additional to the content

Notice that the X (his literary) and Y (the content) don't change, but the construction of the idiom itself does.

Answer (B) uses the structure both X as well as Y; answer (E) uses both X in additional to Y. When beginning with the word both, the correct idiomatic structure is both X and Y, as in answer (C). Eliminate answers (B) and (E).

(4) Meaning

Answer (D) tosses in a lot of instances of the word as: as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction. Some might think that this sounds wordy or awkward. Why?

The sentence is attempting to say that Akutagawa's knowledge informed two things: (1) his style and (2) the content of his work. The structure of answer (D) creates an ambiguous meaning. It might mean that his knowledge informed his style and that his knowledge also informed his content, both to the same extent or level. Alternately, it might mean that his knowledge informed his style and that his content also informed his style.

Consider this shorter example: The barking dog scared the mouse as much as the cat.

Did the barking dog equally scare both the cat and the mouse? Or did both the barking dog and the cat equally scare the mouse? it's not clear. Eliminate answer (D).

The Correct Answer

Answer (C) corrects the original parallelism error by dropping the that of, resulting in a correctly constructed X, Y, and Z list. In addition, this answer corrects the subject─verb error, changing the plural verb were to the singular verb was to match the singular subject knowledge.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Choice D’s problems stem from the pronoun ‘it’ and the conjunction ‘as’.

First, it can refer to either knowledge or development. In both cases, it does not fit in logically.

Second, the knowledge was the first factor, his development as a writer is the next factor, and the third is the information about his style and function. The development and the information thereof are independent functions and not cause and effects. D is distorting the meaning by implying that development and information occurred simultaneously or the information occurred because of development. ‘As’ has meaning of ‘because ’ and ‘at the same time’. This is fatal error.

Hello,

I have a question here. If we find a list of items, we separate them with a comma(ex: apple, mango, and orange). I don't find a comma before 'and' in the sentence above. Would you please help me out what does a list without a comma before 'and' signify?

Thanks,
Uma
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Uma wrote
Quote:
I have a question here. If we find a list of items, we separate them with a comma(ex: apple, mango, and orange). I don't find a comma before 'and' in the sentence above. Would you please help me out what does a list without a comma before 'and' signify?

If you are referring to the comma between style/and, please go through this definition of the serial comma.

Quote:
In English language punctuation, a serial comma or series comma (also called an Oxford comma or a Harvard comma) is a comma placed immediately before the coordinating conjunction (usually and or-or) in a series of three or more terms.

If there are two items in a list, the comma may be dropped.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 201
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V155
GPA: 3.95
Send PM
Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China, and that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

(A) that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as

(B) that of Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, and it informed his literary style as well as

(C) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style and

(D) Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as

(E) Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style in addition to

my doubt is very small.
my POE
1. the usage is X,Y and Z and not X,Y and that of Z (wrong) -- rejected A and B

2. Knowledge is Singular and use of "were" is wrong -- rejected E

3. Between C and D -- D is rejected because of unknown reference of "it".

my question is that in C -- both X and Y should be parallel so
a. is X and Y a noun phrase
b. moreover, shouldnt they start from the same word (eg. both his ..... and his .....

daagh GMATNinja mikemcgarry
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saurabh9gupta wrote:
my question is that in C -- both X and Y should be parallel so
a. is X and Y a noun phrase
b. moreover, shouldnt they start from the same word (eg. both his ..... and his .....

daagh GMATNinja mikemcgarry
1. You're right. In both his literary style and the content of his fiction, we are indeed looking at noun phrases.

Ignore the his literary and the of his fiction:
both his literary style and the content of his fiction

We are left with style and content.

Although style can also be a verb (in which case the meaning is usually "to design something in a particular way"), in this case it is a noun (meaning "a particular way of writing"). This content can only be a noun. There is another content (with a different pronunciation, usually used to mean "satisfied") that can be either an adjective or a verb.

2. Not necessarily. The "main word" is much more important than anything else you might see.

The council approved both your plans and our recommendations.
The council approved both your plans and the recommendations made by the consultants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools: IIMA PGPX"20
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 2.36
Send PM
GMATNinja

Can you explain why D is wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos