Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 136

Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:59) correct 32% (00:54) wrong based on 642 sessions
Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China and that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

a)that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as
b)that of Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, and it informed his literary style as well as
c)Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style and
d)Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as
e)Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style in addition to

Can someone walk me through as to why choice D is incorrect.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 75

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 12:20
imhimanshu wrote:
Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China and that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

a)that of Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing his literary style as much as
b)that of Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, and it informed his literary style as well as
c)Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style and
d)Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as
e)Japan were instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style in addition to

Don't miss

usage-of-verb-ing-modifiers-135220.html

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1616 [1] , given: 249

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Choice D’s problems stem from the pronoun ‘it’ and the conjunction ‘as’.

First, it can refer to either knowledge or development. In both cases, it does not fit in logically.

Second, the knowledge was the first factor, his development as a writer is the next factor, and the third is the information about his style and function. The development and the information thereof are independent functions and not cause and effects. D is distorting the meaning by implying that development and information occurred simultaneously or the information occurred because of development. ‘As’ has meaning of ‘because ’ and ‘at the same time’. This is fatal error.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 301

Kudos [?]: 470 [3] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 17:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here we have three items: A, B, and C. In this case, Europe, China, and Japan. There is no need for the 'that' before Japan. That eliminates (A) and (B).

Next, we have the subject 'knowledge', which is singular. Therefore the verb is 'was.' And just like that, we are at answer (D) :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 38

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 14:04
The answer here is C
"it" in D option is ambiguous
was should be used for singular subject
Japan is correct rather than that of Japan.

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2012, 21:48
imhimanshu wrote:

In choice D, the pronoun IT is very ambiguous. IT can be development, knowledge. So, choice C is better and clarifies the meaning of sentence.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 136

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 03:59
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for your reply. However, i think the usage of "it" is perfectly fine over here.

The rule used is, subject pronoun in one clause often refers to a noun in subject position in another parallel clause.

The option D changes the meaning, hence incorrect.

Thanks
H

daagh wrote:
Choice D’s problems stem from the pronoun ‘it’ and the conjunction ‘as’.

First, it can refer to either knowledge or development. In both cases, it does not fit in logically.

Second, the knowledge was the first factor, his development as a writer is the next factor, and the third is the information about his style and function. The development and the information thereof are independent functions and not cause and effects. D is distorting the menaing by implying that development and information occurred simultaneously or the information occurred because of development. ‘As’ has meaning of ‘because ’ and ‘at the same time’. This is fatal error.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 09:08
Expert's post
Note also that (D) is an improperly constructed comparison. We're not sure if "It informed his literary style as much as (it informed) the content of his fiction" or if "it informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction (informed his literary style."

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-25-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 10:01
OA here is C, however I marked D, could you please confirm weather answer is C or D.

Cheers
Manisha

ChrisLele wrote:
Here we have three items: A, B, and C. In this case, Europe, China, and Japan. There is no need for the 'that' before Japan. That eliminates (A) and (B).

Next, we have the subject 'knowledge', which is singular. Therefore the verb is 'was.' And just like that, we are at answer (D) :).
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [5] , given: 2

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge- OG [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 02:34
This post received
KUDOS
magicmanisha wrote:
OA here is C, however I marked D, could you please confirm weather answer is C or D.

Let us start with a simple sentence and see how it is ambiguous:

Second world war influenced scientific advancement as much as quest for knowledge.

This can be interpreted in two ways:

Second world war influenced scientific advancement as much as (Second world war influenced) quest for knowledge. In other words, second world war influenced:

a. scientific advancement and
b. quest for knowledge.

However, another way of interpreting this is:

Second world war influenced scientific advancement as much as quest for knowledge (influenced scientific advancement). In other words, scientific advancement was influenced by:

a. Second world war
b. quest for knowledge

Now, coming to this sentence, Ryunosuke Akutagawa’s knowledge informed the following two things:

1. Literary style
2. Content of his fiction

With D, the sentence would be:

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China and Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction.

Now, here is the tricky thing. The above sentence can be interpreted as:

Ryunosuke Akutagawa‘s knowledge of the literatures of Europe, China and Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, as it informed his literary style as much as the content of his fiction (informed his literary style)

Which means Ryunosuke Akutagawa’s literary style was informed by the following:

1. Ryunosuke Akutagawa’s knowledge
2. Content of his fiction

So, there is an ambiguity of meaning, if D is the answer choice. Now, perhaps this ambiguity might be “tolerated” in some sentence in GMAT, if there is no better option; but here, C is definitely clearer.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2013, 09:02
D is wrong because
" as it..." is not logic here.

"as it..." can means "while" or "because". both of these are not logic and not the intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 103

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 22:00
imhimanshu wrote:

Verb-ing is is answering here How ... Correct
As works as causal relationship ...I was late to college as it was raining heavily. (sorry but i don't think pronoun ambiguity is a issue as pointed out by others)
Here causal relationship is not there so as is not required.

Just to add As can work -> to show causal relationship( like above)
to show comparison ( as (it is the case) with many other girls, my gf loves shopping ; Ron teaches us english as a school teacher does)
to show simultaneous actions ( As I was crossing the road in the market area , I noticed my GF with a stranger at the coffee center)
to show roles ( As sources of electrical power, windmills now account for only about 2,500 megawatts nationwide)

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 46

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 00:00
imhimanshu wrote:

Picked c.subject knowledge is singular so verb should be was not were and the use of that of japan is wrong with Ryunosuke Akutagawa1s knowledge of the literature of Europe,China and..........it should be "of Europe,China and Japan"According to these error we can eliminate A,B and E.Now rest C and D.D is out because the use of it here is ambiguous .So the correct answer is C.Please inform me if my analysis is wrong
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1288 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2013, 01:29

Wrong. "that of" + "were" + "as much as" are wrong.

Wrong. "that of" is wrong.

Correct. Parallelism + S-v agreement.

Wrong. "as much as" is wrong. The use of "it" is not clear. "it" should modify "knowledge", but in this question, "it" modifies "his development".

Wrong. "were" is wrong.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 10:07
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: Haas '18
GMAT Date: 07-20-2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 36

CAT Tests
Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 13:04
I have a doubt in option C

Question for ready reference.

Option C - Japan was instrumental in his development as a writer, informing both his literary style and

My question is that as the part after both should be parallel to the part after and, should it be both...his literary style and...his content for fiction or the other way?

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”

Jerry Rice

Re: Ryunosuke Akutagawa s knowledge of the literatures of   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2014, 13:04