Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

S is a set of positive integers such that if integer X is a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

S is a set of positive integers such that if integer X is a [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 19:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
S is a set of positive integers such that if integer X is a member of S, then both X^2 and X^3 are also in S. If the only member of S that is neither the square nor the cube of another member of S is called the Source Integer, is 8 in S?

1) 4 is in S and is not the Source Integer.
2) 64 is in S and is not the Source Integer.

---

This is a question from Kaplan. Pls explain.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A quick DS question [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 19:33
amitavha wrote:
S is a set of positive integers such that if integer X is a member of S, then both X^2 and X^3 are also in S. If the only member of S that is neither the square nor the cube of another member of S is called the Source Integer, is 8 in S?

---

Thanks.

Well I had time understanding the question but I will take the first stab.

1) Stmnt 1 - 4 is in S but not source so source has to be 2 and 8 will be in set . SUFF

2) Stmnt 2 - 64 is in set means there could be two possible combination
( 4 , 4^2 , 4^3 } or { 8 , 8^2 , 8^3 } . So seocnd set does has 8 but first set doesnt . So not SUFF because we cant determine for sure whther set has 8.

So I guess anwer is A
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: A quick DS question [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 21:15
amitavha wrote:

Thanks.

1: if 4 is in S and is not a source integer, 2 is there and subsequently 8 is there. so suff.........

2. if 64 is in set S, and 64 is not a source integer, 64 could have because of 4^3 or of 8^2. since 4 is there, 8 is also there. so again suff.....

should be D.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A quick DS question [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 21:28
Fistail wrote:
amitavha wrote:

Thanks.

1: if 4 is in S and is not a source integer, 2 is there and subsequently 8 is there. so suff.........

2. if 64 is in set S, and 64 is not a source integer, 64 could have because of 4^3 or of 8^2. since 4 is there, 8 is also there. so again suff.....

should be D.

We don't know this in Stmt 2! The source integer could either be 4, which would make 4, 16, and 64 in the set or 8, which would include 8, 64, 512

A is sufficient since we know 4 is not a source integer and can only be 2^2 and not a power of 3
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A quick DS question [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 21:54
Fistail wrote:
amitavha wrote:

Thanks.

should be D.

I will go with A.
In statement 2 we will be assuming that 4 is not a source integer. We know that 4 is 2^2 but can we assume this.
Going by the info that we have, I go with A.
Though i picked D initially thinking of 4^3 or 8^2.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2007, 22:15
will go for D

the question states that -the only member of S that is neither the square nor the cube of another member of S is called the Source Integer.
to qualify as a non source integer would mean that the number is either the square of another number of the cube of another number .

As per statement 1- 4 is in S and is not the source integer. 4 is the square of 2 and since 2 is in the set we know there would be 8 ( as per statement is X is present then x^3 is also present) as well .
So sufficient .

As per statement 2- 64 is in S and its not the source integer.
64 is the square of 8 and the cube of 4 , so we know 8 is in the set.
Also sufficient .
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 05:14
forgmat wrote:
will go for D

the question states that -the only member of S that is neither the square nor the cube of another member of S is called the Source Integer.
to qualify as a non source integer would mean that the number is either the square of another number of the cube of another number .

As per statement 1- 4 is in S and is not the source integer. 4 is the square of 2 and since 2 is in the set we know there would be 8 ( as per statement is X is present then x^3 is also present) as well .
So sufficient .

As per statement 2- 64 is in S and its not the source integer.
64 is the square of 8 and the cube of 4 , so we know 8 is in the set.
Also sufficient .

See red: That means 4 is source . So numbers in set should be 4 16 64 based on the question.Where is 8? 8 still could be there but in a different combination . { 8, 64 , 8^3 } . So there is two combination and B is not SUFF.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 08:20
yea see my mistake , i assumed 2 to be in the set, which is wrong . as 2 could be in the set or may not be .

thanks for the clatification.

answer should be A
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 08:42
wow. tricky question to wrap your head around. I'm leaning towards A myself.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2007, 19:10
Yeah, its the wording that confused me. Anyway, the answer is A. Thanks all for your input.

regds,
Amit
  [#permalink] 16 Aug 2007, 19:10