Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Said Bschool: Job Search Roller-Coaster

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Said Bschool: Job Search Roller-Coaster [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 10:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Job Search Roller-Coaster

"By the end of Trinity Term, I had made no progress. I was rejected by every single company I applied for with no opportunities to interview"

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... ss+schools

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Said Bschool: Job Search Roller-Coaster [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 12:47
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Said Bschool: Job Search Roller-Coaster [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2009, 14:33
Sounds like a case of way too focused...networking will only get you so far. Seems like he went from overly focused to shotgunning at everything that was related to the function. I am curious what his career center people were telling him. My advice dont do what this guy did...if you get interviews dont turn them down unless you are moving along with other things. If you dont want to interview for something dont apply in the first place but to not interview because you are too busy applying to other jobs is insane.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: Said Bschool: Job Search Roller-Coaster [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 12:42
Slightly off topic but since its about Said I thought I would share some thoughts after visiting...

While on paper they seem to have a top-class career services, it seems that they really arent that helpful. After visiting and talking to career service staff the impression I got was that they call companies and try to get them to come on campus but in the current climate a lot of companies refuse (which is weird since it takes like an hour and a half to get there from the City). They were very honest though about how they basically have been very quiet this year and recruiting is down big-time. In fact one of the questions during my interview (with career services) was what if you cant do your goals due to the market what would you do.

The students I met were generally really down on career services and while many raved about the oxford/said experience they were very upfront that getting a job was hard and basically a bit of a crapshoot. I was surprised that career services wasnt more supportive since the school certainly emphasizes that in their marketing. Many students laughed out the statistics about high starting salaries and 90% having jobs within 3 months as being.. well its a combination of reporting bias and them not counting students who didnt get a job so returned to their home country.

I should mention that a lot of students who were in it for traditional careers - banking, consulting said well the regular companies will be here and interview so its not like no one gets a job. Its the extra company or the additional opportunities to network with these companies that come regularly that are lacking. For "non-regular" jobs its pretty much you are on your own and we will tell you what to do but we arent going to do much.

On balance it made me rethink some of my thoughts on the school.
Re: Said Bschool: Job Search Roller-Coaster   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2009, 12:42