Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 02:52
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:03) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 61 sessions
Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers increased steadily from 2000 to 2002. The rise in sales was probably due in large part to the new label and ads developed by their advertising firm, which played up the microbrewery's local history.

Kyle: There must be another explanation: The data you cite show the rise in sales started in early 2000. Yet the company's new advertising campaign did not go into effect until September of that year.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the force of the objection that Kyle presents to Sajitha's explanation?

(A) Beer buyers surveyed in 2001 cited the advertising campaign as the primary reason they became aware of Lodgewood's offerings.
(B) A nationwide beer distributor stopped placing two other specialty microbrew brands in stores in 2000.
(C) Lodgewood's new label was the main focus of its advertising campaign.
(D) Buyers of specialty microbrew beers are more likely than the average beer consumer to experiment with different brands and varieties of beers.
(E) Lodgewood's new label appeared on their beer bottles in late 1999.

The Kudo, please :)

Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2606 [0], given: 696

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:02
Expert's post
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:05
carcass wrote:
E is the best

The other option are too far away from the key point: the ad campaign started in 2000

sajitha said "new label" and "ads" contributed to increase in sales

kyle ruled out by saying the ads started in sep 2000.

So increase in sales is by "new label"

ans is E

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2606 [1] , given: 696

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 104 [1] , given: 85

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
carcass wrote:
For who started the gmat exam maybe this is a good question. I mean: a question like this one is good for the first CR during the test ....or so. Then will be a massacre :-D

couldn't agree more :-D

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2606 [5] , given: 696

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
1) Get mad at it.

When you read the stimulus, accept that the argument will be weak, and focus your attention on finding and exploiting that logical weakness. The word “critical” is the first word of the question name for a reason – a major part of your job is to criticize the argument. Be skeptical from the beginning and treat the exercise as though you’re cross-examining whomever created such a flimsy argument. Be aggressive.

2) Do more than half your “work” before you look at the answer choices.

Playoff basketball games are often won on the boards; critical reasoning problems are won on the stimulus. Hard problems use a handful of techniques to make the answer choices less than helpful. Answer choices include a lot of negation (the word “not” to make it hard to tell the exact direction of the sentence), or they start with what looks like an irrelevant lead-in to get you thinking “this isn’t even close”. If you are not in tune with the argument’s weakness, they’ll be able to hide the right answer from you with relative ease. Your job is to know what kind of gap in logic you’re either trying to fill (strengthen) or exploit (weaken). The better you can understand the parameters of the correct answer, the more effectively you can hunt it down and avoid distraction.

3) Be aggressive.

Most students skim the stimulus and answer choices looking for repeat language; surprisingly, few students really dive into the stimulus and get a handle on the argument and then truly analyze the answer choices. It’s like rebounding – students skim and hope the answer falls into their hands while they’re in the right position. To be a better critical reasoner, read arguments skeptically and aggressively. Criticize. Attack. Try going through a set of 20 CR questions without bothering with the answers until later – just poke holes in the logic as you read the paragraphs, training yourself to root out logical flaws.

Critical Reasoning is not a spectator sport. Be critical, be aggressive.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 04:12
Rock750 wrote:
carcass wrote:
For who started the gmat exam maybe this is a good question. I mean: a question like this one is good for the first CR during the test ....or so. Then will be a massacre :-D

couldn't agree more :-D

Totally agreed, it's an easy question. OA is E.

Hey Carcass could we name this http://gmatclub.com/forum/in-the-mid-1990s-the-united-states-supreme-court-rendered-a-151523.html a Massacre question ?

The Kudo, please :)

Expert Post

Re: R: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers i [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 04:46
Expert's post
It is a Cr question or RC?..... No way to long as Cr, difficult to imagine a question like this if not impossible. Maybe is good for practice, but a question like this, is the main reason why lately I train with only OG questions no matter what : from gmat paper test. gmat old software and new, question pack 1.......... the material is more than enough. moreover, is important to revise each question....... so you have enough material to work with.........

Nexus 4 with Tapatalk

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 3

Premium Member
Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 06:55
E it is .....................
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 19

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers incr [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 13:37
I think that a "massacre question" involves more of the things carcass just mentioned, like answer choices with negations and irrelevant lead-in, and not the lenght of a question.
By the way, does the GMAT has this kind of lengthy CR questions?

MV
"Better to fight for something than live for nothing.” ― George S. Patton Jr

Expert Post

Re: R: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers i [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2013, 15:47
Expert's post
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 07:40
This appears to be a GMAT Hack question of the day. The official explanation from the website is as follows:

Answer: E This is a weaken question. Kyle's argument addresses only half of Sajitha's claim. She points out the effect of the new label and new ads. He responds only to the claim about the new ads, showing why the ads probably didn't cause the first part of the increase in sales. An obvious weak point of his response, then, is that the new label may have had the effect Sajitha claimed it did. Consider each choice in turn:

(A) This doesn't limit the effectiveness of Kyle's claim, which points out that the ads wouldn't have caused a sales increase in early 2000. (B) This choice suggests an external cause of the sales increase, but it isn't strictly within the scope of Kyle and Sajitha's dispute. A better choice would have to do with something Sajitha's claim implied. (C) By focusing on the advertising campaign, this choice doesn't affect the validity of Kyle's response. (D) Experimentation may benefit or not benefit Lodgewood. Like (B), it's an external cause to the dispute between Kyle and Sajitha. (E) This is correct. We're looking for something having to do with the new label, and this choice gives us a reason why, in line with Sajitha's claim, the data shows a rise starting in early 2000.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 629

Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 08:07
Quote:
It is a Cr question or RC?..... No way to long as Cr, difficult to imagine a question like this if not impossible. Maybe is good for practice, but a question like this, is the main reason why lately I train with only OG questions no matter what : from gmat paper test. gmat old software and new, question pack 1.......... the material is more than enough. moreover, is important to revise each question....... so you have enough material to work with.........

I did a word count for this question and the passage is only 75 words. Doesn't seem too long. According to the overview page for CR in the The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review - 2nd Edition (p113), it says that CR passages tend to be less than 100 words. So this is in the medium length for CR passages assuming that some may be a little over 100 words. (it does appear that many do go over 100 word passages) I guess it may seem lengthy when the passage is a discussion between two subjects. Although this type of question is uncommon, there are 2 such questions out of 83 in the above mentioned OG material. Question #49 actually has two subjects with each making two separate remarks and Question #79 has two subjects each making one slightly longer discussion remark. Just thought I would throw my two cents in regarding this topic as I had a different impression about the length and usefulness of this type of question.

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2014, 10:43
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Sajitha: Sales of Lodgewood's specialty microbrew beers   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2014, 10:43