Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Salary Hike after Application Submission

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Salary Hike after Application Submission [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 07:47
Got a salary hike after my application submission...

Planning to update adcom..wondering if i can fwd my latest compensation letter?

what do u say!!

Cheers
Ozie

Last edited by Ozmba on 27 Jan 2007, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 07:57
This happened to me as well, here's how I handled it:

School 1 - (interviews open for all) - After I completed my interview I found out about my new salary/role. I called the school to find out my options. They got me in touch with someone that would update my file. I was successfuly able to update my file, before decision time frame.

School 2 - (interview through invitation only) - My interview was scheduled to be in a few weeks after my new salary/role would take place. I decided to mention this in my interview at the end when they ask us if there is anything else we need to tell them. The interviewer jotted it down and told me they'll get it updated.

No school will require instant verification through a company letter or anything, because they will be verifying the info when you decide to matriculate anyways. You should try to update them through the interview or call the school if there is still time for the decision.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 15:58
Does any one know how B-Schools handle employment/salary verification?

Will admissions actually call your HR department to confirm your salary? I can see a school verifying an applicant's job title and dates of employment. Verifying compensation seems to infringe on an employee's privacy.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 16:23
philkriger wrote:
Does any one know how B-Schools handle employment/salary verification?

Will admissions actually call your HR department to confirm your salary? I can see a school verifying an applicant's job title and dates of employment. Verifying compensation seems to infringe on an employee's privacy.

It does, and most companies will not disclose this information.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2007, 07:43
I thought when we sign our apps, we are accepting the possibility that our info will be checked. I presume this would include salary info as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1577 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2007, 08:26
agsfaltex wrote:
I thought when we sign our apps, we are accepting the possibility that our info will be checked. I presume this would include salary info as well.

It does in theory, but giving the school authorization to call your employers does not give your employers authorization to disclose data about you to the school. Generally speaking, all that most employers will disclose are: Dates of employment, title, and occassionaly whether or not you are eligible for rehire. Salary is typically NOT disclosed. Don't take that as an invitation to lie of course. Policies vary by company, but generally speaking they are very very restricted as to what they can and cannot disclose. Too many lawsuits.

I remember one time where a kid came in and interviewed with my firm. Someone knew someone from his current job and put in a call to find out how good he was. Word gets out, and the kid's manager fires him. We didn't make him an offer. He threatens to sue us, becuase he never gave us permission to call his employer (in fact, he explicitly said no) and we did anyway - costing him his job. I don't know how the story ended, but you get the idea.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2007, 15:29
My favorite dilbert cartoon (which is on our HR Manager's bulletin board) goes like this:

HR Director, Firm 1: Hi, I am calling to get a reference on Applicant A.

HR Director, Firm 2: I'm sorry, we aren't allowed to give out any information. But if you like, I can discuss the weather with you.

HRD F1:
Ok

HRD F2:
The clouds are moving lazily across the sky and everyone thinks they are stupid.
  [#permalink] 28 Jan 2007, 15:29