Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sales of ABC and XYZ

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 16

Sales of ABC and XYZ [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 10:44
Please, explain the answer of question 30A (below). The OE of the OG is not good at all. In summary, they say this:
"Both ABC and XYZ sales were at or above the citywide average for every single month in 2010. Thus their combined sales must have been greater than the combined sales of the two dealers not included in the graph. Therefore ABC Cars and XYZ Automotive must have accounted for more than half of all used-car sales in City Z in 2010."
Please, provide a more detailed explanation.

Also, what would have happened if the total number of dealers (not only in the graph) had been 20? The answer would have not been the same, right? That's why I believe that the OE is not sufficient to explain the answer. Please your help.
Thanks!

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
more than

Attachments

Q30.png
Q30.png [ 145.47 KiB | Viewed 571 times ]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [0], given: 165

Re: Sales of ABC and XYZ [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2013, 01:29
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
Please, explain the answer of question 30A (below). The OE of the OG is not good at all. In summary, they say this:
"Both ABC and XYZ sales were at or above the citywide average for every single month in 2010. Thus their combined sales must have been greater than the combined sales of the two dealers not included in the graph. Therefore ABC Cars and XYZ Automotive must have accounted for more than half of all used-car sales in City Z in 2010."
Please, provide a more detailed explanation.

Also, what would have happened if the total number of dealers (not only in the graph) had been 20? The answer would have not been the same, right? That's why I believe that the OE is not sufficient to explain the answer. Please your help.
Thanks!

OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
more than

Actually, the OE is fine.

Take a simpler view:

Average of 4 numbers is 15. (Total sum of all four numbers will be 60.)
Two of the numbers are 20 and 22. Both the numbers are more than the average.
What can you say about the other two numbers? Can you say that they together will account for less than half of total sum? Yes, you can. Since the contribution of the given two numbers is more than half of the total sum, the contribution of the other two numbers will be less than half of the total sum.

Similarly, in this question you have 4 car dealers (given in the question). The total number of car dealers cannot be 20 since you are given that the total number is 4.
Two of them account for more than half of the total sales almost every month (since they lie either above or at average). Hence, for 2010, the two of them will account for more than half of all sales.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: HEC '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 73

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Sales of ABC and XYZ [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 10:45
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Take a simpler view:

Sorry, but I didnt get where from u got numbers 15 ,20 and 22
could u please elaborate a bit more?

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [0], given: 165

Re: Sales of ABC and XYZ [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 19:05
Expert's post
LalaB wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:

Take a simpler view:

Sorry, but I didnt get where from u got numbers 15 ,20 and 22
could u please elaborate a bit more?

The numbers are just an example.
If average of 4 numbers is 15, the total sum of the numbers will be 15*4 = 60
If two of the numbers are 20 and 22 (both more than the average), then their sum is more than half the total sum (because half of the numbers are more than the average) i.e. the sum of these two numbers will be more than 30.
The other two numbers will add up to be less than half the total sum i.e. the other two numbers will add up to be less than 30.

This question tests the same concept.
The white squares are the average. In almost all months, the black squares and the white circles are above the average i.e. sales of ABC and XYZ are above the average. So they will sum up to be more than half the total sum.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Sales of ABC and XYZ   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2013, 19:05