Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 2

Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (02:11) correct 26% (01:02) wrong based on 124 sessions
Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA:A, please explain differences.. B looks ok
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 1

Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 18:29
I3igDmsu wrote:
Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A)they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease
B)after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again
C)in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again
D)with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again
E)a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

[Reveal] Spoiler:

A it is.

B is flawed because you need an infinitive to declare that after the 1991 report, growth started all over again (and still continues)

Is this okay?

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 19:27
paneer - not sure what you mean here, could you clarify?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2009, 23:49
I vote for 'A' too..
If we look at the tenses " Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s,..." the verb is in present tense, therefore, sentences with 'growing' can be eliminated, because that is present continuous. We discard 'B', 'D' and 'E'.
Now, in 'C', "... caused them to begin to grow again" does not sound good, so the only option left is 'A'.

Correct me if I am wrong.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 00:11
"Sales of wines declines in the late 1980s"
Is the sentence above correct? Is "declines" a typo of "declined"?
If "declines" is correct, subject should be "Sale" and pronoun should be "it", not "they".

Please excuse me if the above comment is grammatically illogical.

Anyway, I take B.

A seems clear, but "consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine" looks odd. Since red wine a part of alcohol, "and" should be omitted.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 1

Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 04:38
This post received
KUDOS
I3igDmsu wrote:
paneer - not sure what you mean here, could you clarify?

well, there's no rule as such to guide one when to use a gerund and when to use an infinitive. It comes naturally for the native speaker and for the rest, through practice and learning

I 'knew' that after begin (or began), there had to be an infinitive. Refer this to get a hook of what verbs need infinitive following

When ever you express a wish or a desire or a perception, infinitives are used

Is this okay?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 00:40
This post received
KUDOS
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The modifier in particular red wine refer to consumption, which is not correct. Red wine cant not be consumption
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 00:48
Sorry I marked "and particularly of red wine" red in C which is correct. The preposition "of" here refer to the consumption of red wine. So B, D, E are out. C has another error: which after red wine wrongly refer to red wine, not report instead
Hence A
SVP
SVP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 18:17
So is it correct to say "link A with B"? I've always thought that is was "Link A to B."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 02:05
B is wrong because, it is tryint to compare 'alcohol comsumption' to 'red wine', which is wrong.

A corrrectly eliminates this mistake.

so, I choose A too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 00:29
A is the answer....All other have pronoun reference error...

Choose Life

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 02:59
''Sales of wines declines'' This sentence is the most ungrammatic sentence that I've ever seen . How plural sales and wines can lead to decline - s

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 09:02
Sales of wines declines
it should be Sales of wines declined
anyways....IMO A...not a quality question....whats the source
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 10:35
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

I think the question has some issues such as plurality and tense.

Anyway, A is still best among bad.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 23:46
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

hi moderator i think the correct version of this sentence actually is:
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s
It makes sense. So the version in the whole should be:
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

Answer should be A.[/color]

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 05:17
MICKEYXITIN wrote:
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

hi moderator i think the correct version of this sentence actually is:
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s
It makes sense. So the version in the whole should be:
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

Answer should be A.[/color]

i was going to tell the same thing.It is bit confusing to see 'declines' after 'sales'

Consider KUDOS if You find it good

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2010, 07:05
With the grammatical error in the stem, i still choose A

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 04:53
I3igDmsu wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Why is "AND particularly"? I am not able to justify the AND. Can somebody please explain?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 03:33
chose B.. but get the modifier error pointed out in B..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Wine and heart disease [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2011, 08:35
Hmm indeed error in the question. I think even A has pronoun ref error "they"

Posted from my mobile device Image

Looking for Kudos :)

Re: Wine and heart disease   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2011, 08:35