Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V48
GPA: 2.97
WE: Sales (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 82

Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 13:04
I have been looking to go to business school for several years now. I actually applied to several programs with 2 years work experience and the best I did was get waitlisted at McCombs.

I'm going to re-apply this year to enter programs with 4.5 years post grad work experience, however it will be in sales. I feel that I have advanced significantly in my career, going from a small startup to now working for Oracle. I just finished the year bringing in 165% of my yearly quota.

The question I have is how do b-schools look on applicants with sales backgrounds? What do I have to be prepared to defend in interviews and on my essays?

as a side note I scored 710 on the gmat and have a 2.95 GPA with a major in italian and a minor in business. I served a two year lds mission to italy. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Re: Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2009, 13:57
As a follow up, I'm interested in pursuing a career in management consulting so I will be making a career change.

Yes I am open to international opportunities too.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2009, 09:21
Pre777,

B-schools will be fine with your sales background as long as you show (through GMAT scores, etc.) that you are quantitatively strong enough for B-school and as long as you have enough leadership experience. If you manage a sales team, you should be fine. If you don't, you have a negative that you need to compensate for. Normally this is done by showing current, ongoing leadership outside of work. Your LDS experience in Italy and degree in Italian will help set you apart and the LDS experience may provide some of the leadership experience you need. But you also need current leadership.

Hope this answers your question.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager

Re: Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 06:06
Great advice, thank you.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2009, 16:42
Manager
Manager

Re: Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 13:23
If I can show decent leadership inside and outside of work, what range of schools would you recommend for me? Top 30?

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Salesman...I want to get out and get an MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2009, 17:38
This post received
KUDOS
Oh, yes, definitely top 30. Keeping in mind that I know very little about your profile, the following "consulting feeder" schools would probably be in your wheelhouse: CMU, Emory, Georgetown. You might even (and probably would) be able to aim a bit higher depending on the details of your profile.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter