Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Salesperson: A shopper will refuse to purchase an overpriced

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 19

Salesperson: A shopper will refuse to purchase an overpriced [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (03:16) correct 56% (02:22) wrong based on 257 sessions
Salesperson: A shopper will refuse to purchase an overpriced product if she has researched the prices of similar products at competing stores. All enthusiasts of any type of entertainment will have researched the prices of products germane to that type. Thus we will not sell any of our high-performance external graphics cards, since they are overpriced and only computer gaming enthusiasts would purchase such cards.

The pattern of reasoning in which one of the following arguments is most similar to that in the salesperson's argument above?

(A) Most amateur critics will not review a book if they have reason to believe they will not enjoy reading it. Nobody who dislikes a certain genre of music will enjoy reading a book on the history and theory of that genre. Thus nobody will review your book on the history and theory of country music, since no amateur critics enjoy listening to country music.

(B) No female guppy will mate with a male guppy if the male is visibly less healthy than other males in the school. All female guppies are aware of the relative health of the males in their school. Therefore, a visibly unhealthy male will have trouble mating.

(C) Famous actors and actresses will support an organization only if they believe that their cause is just. Patricia does not believe that the cause of Green Thumbs Up is just. Therefore, no famous actors and actresses will support Green Thumbs Up, since Patricia is a famous actress.

(D) Nobody will tour an island getaway if they believe other islands in the area have more attractive beaches. Anybody taking a vacation in this stretch of islands will have researched all of the beaches on all of the islands in the area. So our tourism agency should improve the public image of our beaches.

(E) A union will not endorse a candidate who does not support their interests if they are aware of his positions and his opponents' positions. Any union whose workers are confined to a specific sector is aware of candidates' positions relating to that sector. Only unions whose workers are confined to the education system endorse candidates for the school board, and none of our party's candidates support the interests of these unions. So none of our party's candidates for the school board will be endorsed by a union.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 0

Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:21
Hi!

Is this a GMAT practice question or one from the LSAT? Parallel reasoning is super rare on the GMAT - most people never see one, no matter how well they're doing.

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 66

Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:34
This post received
KUDOS
skbjunior wrote:
Please provide your detailed explanations. Thank you for your time!

Salesperson: A shopper will refuse to purchase an overpriced product if she has researched the prices of similar products at competing stores. All enthusiasts of any type of entertainment will have researched the prices of products germane to that type. Thus we will not sell any of our high-performance external graphics cards, since they are overpriced and only computer gaming enthusiasts would purchase such cards.

The pattern of reasoning in which one of the following arguments is most similar to that in the salesperson's argument above?

(A) Most amateur critics will not review a book if they have reason to believe they will not enjoy reading it. Nobody who dislikes a certain genre of music will enjoy reading a book on the history and theory of that genre. Thus nobody will review your book on the history and theory of country music, since no amateur critics enjoy listening to country music.

(B) No female guppy will mate with a male guppy if the male is visibly less healthy than other males in the school. All female guppies are aware of the relative health of the males in their school. Therefore, a visibly unhealthy male will have trouble mating.

(C) Famous actors and actresses will support an organization only if they believe that their cause is just. Patricia does not believe that the cause of Green Thumbs Up is just. Therefore, no famous actors and actresses will support Green Thumbs Up, since Patricia is a famous actress.

(D) Nobody will tour an island getaway if they believe other islands in the area have more attractive beaches. Anybody taking a vacation in this stretch of islands will have researched all of the beaches on all of the islands in the area. So our tourism agency should improve the public image of our beaches.

(E) A union will not endorse a candidate who does not support their interests if they are aware of his positions and his opponents' positions. Any union whose workers are confined to a specific sector is aware of candidates' positions relating to that sector. Only unions whose workers are confined to the education system endorse candidates for the school board, and none of our party's candidates support the interests of these unions. So none of our party's candidates for the school board will be endorsed by a union.

(This is the stimulus)
A doesn't want B b/c B is unattractive (overpriced). All A's are aware about things they are enthused about. So we won't sell C because it is overpriced (and therefore not attractive to A).

E - A doesn't want to endorse B b/c B is unattractive (doesn't support their interests). Any A confined (enthused) to a specific sector is aware of the candidates positions relating to that sector they are enthused about. So C will not be endorsed by a union b/c if doesn't support the interest of A.

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:49
skovinsky wrote:
Hi!

Is this a GMAT practice question or one from the LSAT? Parallel reasoning is super rare on the GMAT - most people never see one, no matter how well they're doing.

This question is from old LSAT official test. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 108 [1] , given: 0

Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
skbjunior wrote:
skovinsky wrote:
Hi!

This question is from old LSAT official test. Thanks!

Great - then my advice is "don't worry about it" - it's extremely unlikely you'll see anything similar on the GMAT.

While some LSAT LR questions are similar to their CR counterparts, there are enough differences between the two tests to make LSAT questions of questionable use for GMAT students. First, the LSAT contains a number of question types that don't appear on the GMAT. Second, even on those question types that are common to both tests (weakening, strengthening, assumption and inference make up 90% of CR) there are substantive differences in content and style.

Accordingly, unless you've exhausted GMAT material, I'd avoid the LSAT as a source of practice questions.

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 51

Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 08:54
anyway i got E in 3:41 min . very long stimulus and worse of all , even longer answer choices.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 932 [0], given: 376

Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 10:20
I chose B.

Wonder how LSAT has subject-verb errors in its questions, unless it's a handwritten and not copied.

"A union(Singular) will not endorse a candidate who does not support their(plural) interests".

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 19:53
I went for D,instead.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 19:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 160

Premium Member
Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 22:48
IMO E. Got it right by POE but took 2:45 minutes.. :-( ... Can't do this under real exam conditions,as it might take 3 mins under real conditions.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 276

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2014, 14:39
Its a close call between B and E, but i'm finally leaning toward E after exactly 2 minutes. This took way too long

Further comments on suggested split are welcome
Cheers
J
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 276

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 06:32
skovinsky wrote:
Hi!

Mr. Skovinsky

Could you please elaborate in a detailed manner on B,C and E please?
I'm having a hard time figuring out what's wrong with each
Would be happy to throw some Kudos out there

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-16-2014
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 77

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2014, 09:11
I like Parallel reasoning questions. You have to attack the reasoning of 5 options. And then match them up to the the reasoning of the stimuli. it's like doing 6 questions at once. I wouldn't want such questions to come on the GMAT though, but practising such questions really develops the aptitude to solve the CR questions on a whole.
Re: Salesperson --> parallel reasoning   [#permalink] 14 Jun 2014, 09:11