Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Salsa Dancers [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 02:04
I see that everybody's picked C. I picked B. :(
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 38

Re: Salsa Dancers [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 09:52
I got confused with B and C and selected B

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 07:36
whats wrong with B??? i mean to say if "which" points to exercises so is does makes sense !! the sentence can be right then also !!

TO LIVE ONE LIFE , YOU HAVE TO DIE HUNDRED DEATHS....

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 20:12
C as well :)

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 06:20
still not understood ...why C and not B...
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-15-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2011, 09:23
C
reducing modify the "doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises"
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 22:45
I picked C because I liked the word reducing which I found to be the correct choice due to parallel structure. I saw the author use "doing" earlier in the sentence so I thought that choice B would match up in grammatical structure and it also sounded good and concise as well.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2012, 23:30
(A) exercises, and it reduces - Wrong. 'It' seems to refer to dancer.
(B) exercises, which reduces : which reduce could have been a correct choice, but 'which reduces' is wrong
(C) exercises, reducing - correct.
(D) exercises, the routine reduces :- comma is wrong as it joins two independent clauses
(E) exercises, so the routine reduces - grammatically correct, but not so good in meaning.
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 01:22
i am not satisfied with Option C, though it best among the options,how can a person do warmup and recuce the chance of injury at the same time????????

Can someone please justify???

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:00
C,as it is clear that Verb-ing modifier is modifying the entire preceeding clause in association with SV pair and showing the result of the warm-up and exercise. :(
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE: Other (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 35

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 10:07
This is a good example for a cause-effect sentence.

Cause: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises
Effect: reducing the chance of injury

Cause....., effect starting with 'ing' word.

Example:
The rains were extremely heavy, causing great damage to crops.
Notice the 'ing' in the word causing.

Hence, C fits perfectly here.

TH

Give me +1 Kudos if my post helped!

"Follow your passion. Change the world."

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 04:05
Not able to choose between C and D. what does reducing modify in c and why is D wrong apart from saying its ambiguous.
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 4

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 04:30
Hi Rrkan,

'reducing' modifies 'warm up' it's the warm up that reduces the chance of injury. (this is common sense as well as grammatical sense)

D is wrong, because as others have said there are 2 independent clauses in it, which should be separated by a ; .

Read through the prior answers, they give some good explanations...
James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 137

Kudos [?]: 1388 [0], given: 122

Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 13:14
plumber250 wrote:
Hi Rrkan,

'reducing' modifies 'warm up' it's the warm up that reduces the chance of injury. (this is common sense as well as grammatical sense)

D is wrong, because as others have said there are 2 independent clauses in it, which should be separated by a ; .

Read through the prior answers, they give some good explanations...
James

Hi James.

I think "reducing" is put after exercises with a comma. It should modify a previous clause with a meaningful subject. I'm not convinced by C cause I think the routine would reduce injury. Please clarify. Thank you.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 683

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 23:22
perfectstranger wrote:
Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises, and it reduces the chance of injury.

(A) exercises, and it reduces
(B) exercises, which reduces
(C) exercises, reducing
(D) exercises, the routine reduces
(E) exercises, so the routine reduces

Please explain in a detailed way.Nice explanation will be appreciated with kudos :)) . OA after explanations.

EDIT by walker: please, underline tested part.

Hi,

Clearly option A, B and E can be ruled out because of various reasons pointed out.
in Option B, which is used in place "Stretching and Warm up exercises" ie. plural and the verb for "which" should be reduce.

In option C, reducing.....modifies the preceding clause by providing additional information as to how Salsa dancers achieve that. The sentence means that Salsa dancers reduce the chances of Injury by doing warm and stretching exercises. The sentence makes sense.

In Option D ------> The routine reduces makes a Independent clause which is not connected to first IC correctly.

A semicolon would be a much better option. Another way, the Option D could have been written "the routine that reduces...." which means noun+noun modifier construction modifying the noun " warm and stretching exercises"

Option C looks a better option

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Salsa Dancers [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 11:54
if second part is a continuation of a first part, it always takes "ing" form of verb, means its related.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Salsa Dancers [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2013, 10:40
walker wrote:
Salsa Dancers warm up before every performance by doing a series of warmup and stretching exercises, and it reduces the chance of injury.

a) exercises, and it reduces - "it" cannot refer to verb.
b) exercises, which reduces - "which" introduces a nonessential clause and modifies preceding noun.
c) exercises, reducing - "reducing" modifies "warm up". nothing wrong with the option.
d) exercises, the routine reduces - I'm not sure that "routine" is unambiguous here. Comma cannot connect two clauses. We need a semicolon instead of comma.
e) exercises, so the routine reduces - the same doubt about "routine".

-----------
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

can you explain what do you mean by "which" introduces a nonessential clause and modifies preceding noun? Maybe give an example?

Re: Salsa Dancers   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2013, 10:40