Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 08:23

Right Now:

Admit Calls from McCombs  |  McDonough  |  Chicago-Booth  |  Tuck  |  Ross. || Join the chat for Live updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Same old question... Why MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Same old question... Why MBA? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 14:37
Hello All!

I couldn't stop myself from asking a question in the hope of a better justification not to go for MBA.

I did master's in computer science. I work as a Sr. programmer.

I already regret that I wasted 2 years doing Master's. This is because the work I do, can be done by any person who has formal training and little experience(2-3 years).
I was confused whether to pursue MBA part time(because I want to keep my job and pay bills). The reason being I want to increase my pay scale. To be honest, I want to be in a profession where there is literally no threshold on how much I can possibly earn.

I keep reading that MBA offers such a platform (Investment Banking, etc)...

Again, I hesitate to make up my mind because it deals with lot of money, and not entirely sure how much my current employer is going to reimburse if at all.

And also I get pessimistic about my post MBA future where I'll be a fresher without any experience (I halfheartedly convince myself, thinking that I might get placed right away on campus if I ever get accepted to a top B-school).

Please advise what I should do, and if you advise to go for MBA, what program I should pursue?

:)
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 3

Re: Same old question... Why MBA? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 18:51
Expert's post
Sounds to me like you're not quite ready. The MBA should be something you need to realize your existing career vision, not something you're using to escape your current situation. The adcoms are going to want to see a genuine passion for something and a demonstrated effort to go as far as you can without it first. This is why the timing of an MBA is so heavily scrutinized by the adcoms. Don't look at the MBA like a punch ticket out of one level and into another, look at it as a way to ensure you current trajectory towards your ultimate goal is maximized.

Bryant Michaels
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Same old question... Why MBA? [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2010, 19:57
I prepared for GMAT 2 years ago. I had to cancel everything because of other personal reasons. But now I have a comfortable job that doesn't pay very well, now that I have a family to raise. Which MBA program has better earning prospects at the same time challenging?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post

Re: Same old question... Why MBA? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2010, 07:14
Expert's post
one really good strategy if you're worried about how you might fare in the admissions process, is to look at PT MBA programs. The admissions standards are usually kinder, and you end up with a "real MBA" on your resume that carries no designation apart from the full time MBA. The real advantage of this approach would be if you are able to leverage it to get a promotion or raise at your current job. Since you work throughout the PT MBA, staying with the same company is usually the ideal situation. Not only will they usually pay for it or at least reimburse a portion, you also don't have to worry about recruiting process and having to deal with a new potential employer scrutinizing the fact that the degree was part time. Explore how your current employer values higher ed and see if they would be on board with sponsoring your degree.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Same old question... Why MBA? [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 21:23
Thanks a lot for your reply. I didn't realize there was a new post earlier from you.

I explored options with my current employer. They have a strict process of approving the MBA. It has to conform to the company business and culture. So I cannot just take Investment Banking (which is my primary interest). So at this point, I have to seek a loan and keep my current employer out of the loop. And definitely I will have to jump the boat after the MBA in the pursuit of IB opportunity.

I am aiming at a top school for the weekend MBA. I am aiming at good GMAT score, and will see if I can fair well.

But even if everything goes smooth, will I be able to get a job opportunity without prior experience right from the career fairs in the business school? I read, that Fulltime students have upper hand when it comes to career fairs.

Can you put some light, and share your comments/critiques...

Thanks again! :)
Expert Post

Re: Same old question... Why MBA? [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2010, 18:54
Expert's post
You will need to check with the career offices of your target schools to be sure. A good school should give you just as many resources and access to recruiters as they do their full time students. One key will be finishing in the Spring, when the full timers finish. THis way, you have a better chance of being guided towards the recruiters who are there to interview the full timers. The WE may be a challenge, and would be a better question to pose to the hiring companies than the career office, although they would have seen enough of this to have an opinion for sure.

Bryant Michaels

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Same old question... Why MBA? [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2010, 04:33
Just pitching my thoughts, warning to take the suggestions with a pinch of common sense.

I don't think its fair for you to say you wasted 2 years doing Master's because of the current job that your in. I wouldn't say that even though I might be in the same boat. If you expect your MBA which is just another Master's to give you Balthazar's ring then your really mistaken.

I feel your pain regarding the job but my advise would be just think about many things before thinking OK I am going to IB, I will be the next jerome kerviel. Sipping bubbly and singing la marita with all the bonds and $ bills in your pocket.
Think about your limits, and I think as a Sr. Programmer your highly suitable for a large no of high paying maybe not Mil, Bil $ but better than average pay MBA jobs post MBA.

I think if your company offers you to take up an Part Time MBA in any top 20 B school then you should jump on that gun, because your lucky you got such offer.

Regards.

mba4newbie wrote:
Hello All!

I couldn't stop myself from asking a question in the hope of a better justification not to go for MBA.

I did master's in computer science. I work as a Sr. programmer.

I already regret that I wasted 2 years doing Master's. This is because the work I do, can be done by any person who has formal training and little experience(2-3 years).
I was confused whether to pursue MBA part time(because I want to keep my job and pay bills). The reason being I want to increase my pay scale. To be honest, I want to be in a profession where there is literally no threshold on how much I can possibly earn.

I keep reading that MBA offers such a platform (Investment Banking, etc)...

Again, I hesitate to make up my mind because it deals with lot of money, and not entirely sure how much my current employer is going to reimburse if at all.

And also I get pessimistic about my post MBA future where I'll be a fresher without any experience (I halfheartedly convince myself, thinking that I might get placed right away on campus if I ever get accepted to a top B-school).

Please advise what I should do, and if you advise to go for MBA, what program I should pursue?

:)
Re: Same old question... Why MBA?   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2010, 04:33