Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Same school as undergrad? [#permalink]
Just to kinda play devil's advocate with this comment.........if somebody spent their whole life in NY and applied for a job in Chicago, wouldnt their long history in NY say "this guy really plants long term roots"?

On the other hand, would a person who grew up in NY, went to school in Cali, worked in Seattle, and went to b-school in Chicago look more like the "long term" type?

Im not sure what the answer would be as it is def case by case.....just highlighting that the "new yorker" could spin it in his favor when it comes to being long term.

bostonsparky wrote:
The only possible negative I could think of is if say you grew up, went to school undergrad, worked, and went to B school all in the same area (for example, NY), then applied for a job in say Chicago. If I'm the recruiter I'm thinking "is this person really someone who's going to join us for the long term?"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
I live in Ohio. I went to school in North Carolina for undergrad, then moved back to Ohio after graduating. I worked for a few years and then applied to all Carolina schools (and UCLA and Georgetown). I'm already in at my undergrad school again and really don't have qualms about it. I want to work in the southeast, so it makes sense for me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Raabend wrote:
Just to kinda play devil's advocate with this comment.........if somebody spent their whole life in NY and applied for a job in Chicago, wouldnt their long history in NY say "this guy really plants long term roots"?

On the other hand, would a person who grew up in NY, went to school in Cali, worked in Seattle, and went to b-school in Chicago look more like the "long term" type?

Im not sure what the answer would be as it is def case by case.....just highlighting that the "new yorker" could spin it in his favor when it comes to being long term.

Agreed it could go both ways. Kind of feeds into a paradox employers often talk about, they want creative people with diverse backgrounds....but those are very often the same people who get bored of a company after a few years and start to look elsewhere. So sometimes they are better off hiring the 'sure thing' employee that may have a little less potential but would be more likely to stick around and contribute more to the company.

ehonda is there a specific industry / geographic region you want to work in post-MBA?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
The trick is, convince the company that you are a barnacle and they are a Gray Whale.

bostonsparky wrote:
Agreed it could go both ways. Kind of feeds into a paradox employers often talk about, they want creative people with diverse backgrounds....but those are very often the same people who get bored of a company after a few years and start to look elsewhere. So sometimes they are better off hiring the 'sure thing' employee that may have a little less potential but would be more likely to stick around and contribute more to the company.

ehonda is there a specific industry / geographic region you want to work in post-MBA?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
I would say that there is no downside if it is in top 5, but if I had another Top 5, I would choose the other one, just to diversify my alumni network. That's the one downside, if you add another school which is equivalent to your resume, it would be better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Raabend wrote:

i'm interested in consulting. for what it's worth, i haven't been in the same city since college.

i thought about the different alumni networks, but then again, b-school and undergrad networks are usually different at the same school anyway. would you feel particularly attached to the undergrads at your b-school? or am i just a jerk? :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
You may not be particularly attached to the undergrad, master or Phd at your school but you would use their connections if necessary and play the school relationship right ?? :-D

If you have two schools, you can do that for both.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
I was wondering the same thing actually. The school i had in mind is elite but pretty big out on the Left Coast. Given Top 5 for both, I'd highly doubt recruiters would have issues. On a personal level, would you want to go back to the same campus, or experience something new? That was my concern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:HBS 2011
Send PM
Throwing in my two cents, It could be one of those things that comes up in interview.

But if they do, you answer it, they nod, everyone moves on without a second thought.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Some solid advice by members here made me reconsider an MBA application to my undergraduate alma mater. Obviously the alumni access aspect varies tremendously depending on school size and overall campus culture. But whenever I have made the effort to do so, I as an undergraduate alumnus, have successfully been able to tap into my university's MBA network for informational interviewing and general career advice. Understandably however, not every MBA grad I approached was always willing to help - but that's not really remarkable in itself.

So, to me it certainly seems feasible that to some extent at least I would have an "in" with my alma mater's MBA alumni regardless of where I went for an MBA. And going elsewhere for an MBA would potentially give me access to that university's undergraduate and professional schools' alumni, too!

In addition, I also felt that returning for a professional education to the same school I did for undergrad would mean missing out on a lot of the experience that comes with being a student in a "new" city. Moreover, I had no intentions of settling down post-MBA in the general geographic area my alma mater was located in anyway.
GMAT Club Bot