Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Samples from a ceramic vase found at a tomb in Sicily prove

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Samples from a ceramic vase found at a tomb in Sicily prove [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 10:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Samples from a ceramic vase found at a tomb in Sicily prove that the vase was manufactured in Greece. Since the occupant of the tomb died during the reign of a Sicilian ruler who lived 2,700 years ago, the location of the vase indicates that there was trade between Sicily and Greece 2,700 years ago.
Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Sicilian potters who lived during the reign of the ruler did not produce work of the same level of quality as did Greek potters.
(B) Sicilian clay that was used in the manufacture of pottery during the ruler’s reign bore little resemblance to Greek clay used to manufacture pottery at that time.
(C) At the time that the occupant of the tomb was alive, there were ships capable of transporting large quantities of manufactured goods between Sicily and Greece.
(D) The vase that was found at the Sicilian tomb was not placed there many generations later by descendants of the occupant of the tomb.
(E) The occupant of the tomb was not a member of the royal family to which the Sicilian ruler belonged.

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 14:26
(D) The vase that was found at the Sicilian tomb was not placed there many generations later by descendants of the occupant of the tomb.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 14:31
MA wrote:

Please justify your answer. Thanks

Best Regards,

Paul

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 15:08
Paul wrote:
MA wrote:

Please justify your answer. Thanks

the passage is talking about the time. i think if the vase was put at the tomb later, then it cannot be predicted about the trade at that time. to confirm the trade bet greece and sicily, the vase must be kept at the tomb at that time.

Paul, correct me , if any.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 157 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 15:29
agree with you MA, if it was put there generations later, how can we then say that the trade existed back then b/w the 2 countries?

My previous post was just to encourage us, more experienced members, to try as much as possible to justify our answers to enrich our discussions and make this a better place. I guess there would have been no value to GMATclub if each and every post only had "It is A" or "It is B". I'm not saying that one has to justify every answer but let's do our best and set the standard for future members :) .

Best Regards,

Paul

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 18:49
The passage concludes that trade existed between Sicily and Greece because a Greek Vase was found in the tomb of a common Sicilian.
We're asked to find the logical gap between the premise and the conclusion.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument
depends?

(A) Sicilian potters who lived during the reign of the ruler did not produce work of the same level of quality as did Greek potters.
- Does not help. We're concerned with the origins of the vase or whether sicilian have the same make and design, not the quality of the workmanship.

(B) Sicilian clay that was used in the manufacture of pottery during the ruler’s reign bore little resemblance to Greek clay used to manufacture pottery at that time.
- If that's the case, the Greek vase must hve come from Greece and therefore trade existed between the two nations.

(C) At the time that the occupant of the tomb was alive, there were ships capable of transporting large quantities of manufactured goods between Sicily and Greece.
- But we're not sure if the ships ever sailed between Sicily and Greece. Having the means to do so does not suggest that it actually happens.

- Does not help the conclusion. In fact, it weakens the conclusion, and it's something we do not want to do when we're asked for an assumption.

(E) The occupant of the tomb was not a member of the royal family to which the Sicilian ruler belonged.
- Not important.

B it is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 18:51
Paul wrote:
agree with you MA, if it was put there generations later, how can we then say that the trade existed back then b/w the 2 countries?

My previous post was just to encourage us, more experienced members, to try as much as possible to justify our answers to enrich our discussions and make this a better place. I guess there would have been no value to GMATclub if each and every post only had "It is A" or "It is B". I'm not saying that one has to justify every answer but let's do our best and set the standard for future members :) .

I agree with that. But sometimes if you're posting the answer in a hurry (say you're working it in the office and it wouldn't be nice if you boss saw you doing that), you might add you'll come back and edit the post with your reasonings for picking that answer choice. :-D
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 21:22
Paul wrote:

paul, how nice you are in your approach?
i think everybody agrees with you, so do i.
you have always most acceptable, reasonable and approperiate views. thanx.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2005, 21:55
rthothad wrote:
MA, can you negate B
yes. the passage talks nothing about the clay and clay has nothing to do with pottery. clay could be anything. even with same type of clay, the design of the potteries could be different from those of sicilian with those of greece.

And, ok we agree that the clay of the cities differ. if the pottery made after some generations were kept in the tomb, we can deduce that there trade between the two cities. the trade could have existed after some generations later.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 06:10
I think it’s A because there if sicilan potters never made vases similar in quality to those made in Greece, then it would make sense that there was a trade between Greece and sicily
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: cr [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2005, 06:19
MA wrote:
rthothad wrote:
MA, can you negate B
yes. the passage talks nothing about the clay and clay has nothing to do with pottery. clay could be anything. even with same type of clay, the design of the potteries could be different from those of sicilian with those of greece.

And, ok we agree that the clay of the cities differ. if the pottery made after some generations were kept in the tomb, we can deduce that there trade between the two cities. the trade could have existed after some generations later.

MA, Thanks for your time. I was leaning towards B but your view about the design of the pottery exposed my oversight.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2005, 05:28
DO'NT HAVE THE OA FOR THIS 1......

I WOULD HAVE PICKED A

i hate when people do'nt post the OA, it leaves in guessing!!!!

[#permalink] 12 Apr 2005, 05:28