Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 11:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 14

Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 10:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

55% (02:02) correct 45% (01:15) wrong based on 195 sessions
Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, in which he and the five members of his team spent four months on a boat together off Dutch Harbor, AK, he caught fewer fish than any of his teammates.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument above?

A) Two seasons ago, Samuel fished on another boat off Dutch Harbor and caught more fish than any other member of that boat.
B) Before becoming a fisherman, Samuel piloted a fishing boat whose members regularly caught record numbers of fish.
C) While fishing this past season, Samuel fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time.
D) Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Samuel fished this past season with experimental bait.
E) Amongst the fishing community in Dutch Harbor, Samuel has a reputation for being an especially bad fisherman.

Edit: by carcass
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Fisherman [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 10:51
Expert's post
CharuKapoor wrote:
Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, in which he and the five members of his team spent four months on a boat together off Dutch Harbor, AK, he caught fewer fish than any of his teammates.

A) Two seasons ago, Samuel fished on another boat off Dutch Harbor and caught more fish than any other member of that boat.
B) Before becoming a fisherman, Samuel piloted a fishing boat whose members regularly caught record numbers of fish.
C) While fishing this past season, Samuel fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time.
D) Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Samuel fished this past season with experimental bait.
E) Amongst the fishing community in Dutch Harbor, Samuel has a reputation for being an especially bad fisherman.

Since you are supposed to find the choice that weakens the argument that says that Samuel is a bad fisherman, find for something that can claim to be a difference maker between Samuel and other fishermen.
C and D come as top contenders but since one week is quite short of a time, so D is probably the answer.
Regards

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 85

Re: Fisherman [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 12:40
+1 for D

Premise : Samuel caught fewer fish than any of his teammates during the past season.

Conclusion : Samuel is a bad fisherman.

D states clearly that Samuel had to use an experimental bait the past season unlike his teammates. Thus, in one hand , this explains why he caught fewer fish than his teammates due probably to the use of the experimental bait and in the other hand that Samuel is not a bad fisherman.
So D weakens the argument properly.

C states that Samuel felt sick during one week ( this could weakens the argument if the time taken in the past season were a week but nothing in the argument said that)

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Expert Post
Followers: 291

Kudos [?]: 2446 [0], given: 693

Re: Fisherman [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 17:36
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
CharuKapoor wrote:

Since you are supposed to find the choice that weakens the argument that says that Samuel is a bad fisherman, find for something that can claim to be a difference maker between Samuel and other fishermen.
C and D come as top contenders but since one week is quite short of a time, so D is probably the answer.
Regards

D must be the answer. is the only answer that introduce a good reason that explains why he had a poor fishing

C saya he was sick for a week but the period of fishing was long 4 months.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Fisherman [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
I was debating between C and D, and ultimately picked C.
C-was unable to fish for 1 week.
D-used experimental bait. You have to assume that the experimental bait was worse than the original bait.

Does someone have the official answer?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

Re: Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2013, 03:13
I am bit confused about the OA.
If every fishermen will get the same bait, then only conclusion will hold true that Sam is a bad fisherman.

I think C is the best weakner.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 20:55
This question is similar to the one posted in gmatplatinum.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 275

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Fisherman [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 16:42
DoItRight wrote:
D-used experimental bait. You have to assume that the experimental bait was worse than the original bait.

Same here buddy. I though C was stronger

What's the OA brother?

Cheers!
J :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 56

Re: Fisherman [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 05:23
This post received
KUDOS
jlgdr wrote:
DoItRight wrote:

Same here buddy. I though C was stronger

What's the OA brother?

Cheers!
J :)

OA is D. I think source is "Kaplan" (not sure how it got hyperlinked, I didn't do it)!

With C, even if Samuel did not fish for 1 week, it is possible he caught more fish in rest of 3 weeks. It is also possible that he caught less fish. But both cases are possible hence C leaves ambiguity.

D clarifies Samuel followed orders of the captain and used experimental bait. It also states that rest of the fisherman on the boat did not follow captain's orders. So they used better baits giving them unfair advantage over Samuel. This means Samuel's bad catch was NOT due to him being bad fisherman. Thus D weakens the argument.

Hope it helps.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 29

Re: Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 09:21
Option D weakens the argument by suggesting an alternative explanation as to why S couldn't catch as many fish as others.It's a possibility that the experimental bait was the reason

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 47

Re: Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2014, 20:55
CONTEST BETWEEN "C" AND "D"------
I AM TRYING TO THINK DIFFERENT FROM TO SOME OF THE PARTICIPANTS ABOVE....DIFFERENT LOGIC.......

C) While fishing this past season, Samuel fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time.... I ALWAYS WIN 100 METER RACE 1 METER AHEAD OF 4 OTHERS....ONCE I WAS MADE TO RUN 2 METER BEHIND THE REST..... I CAME LAST ... 1 METER BEHIND THE REST 4. CAN SOMEONE SAY ---- YOU WERE ONLY 2% BEHIND BALANCE.... YOU COULD HAVE COVERED BALANCE 98% AND BEATEN ALL.....YOU ARE WEAK AS YOU WERE 1 METER BEHIND BALANCE?

D) Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Samuel fished this past season with experimental bait......WHO SAYS THE EXPERIMENTAL BAIT IS INFERIOR TO THE CONVENTIONAL BAIT ? THIS BAIT WAS IMPORTED AND GIVES 400% SUCCESS IN ALL TRIALS....JUST THAT SAMUEL WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH...

BOTH "C" AND "D" COULD BE RIGHT / WRONG UNDER DIFFERENT INTERPRETATIONS......
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 05:32
semwal wrote:
CONTEST BETWEEN "C" AND "D"------
I AM TRYING TO THINK DIFFERENT FROM TO SOME OF THE PARTICIPANTS ABOVE....DIFFERENT LOGIC.......

C) While fishing this past season, Samuel fell sick for a week and did not catch any fish during this time.... I ALWAYS WIN 100 METER RACE 1 METER AHEAD OF 4 OTHERS....ONCE I WAS MADE TO RUN 2 METER BEHIND THE REST..... I CAME LAST ... 1 METER BEHIND THE REST 4. CAN SOMEONE SAY ---- YOU WERE ONLY 2% BEHIND BALANCE.... YOU COULD HAVE COVERED BALANCE 98% AND BEATEN ALL.....YOU ARE WEAK AS YOU WERE 1 METER BEHIND BALANCE?

D) Unlike the other fishermen on his boat, at the order of the captain, Samuel fished this past season with experimental bait......WHO SAYS THE EXPERIMENTAL BAIT IS INFERIOR TO THE CONVENTIONAL BAIT ? THIS BAIT WAS IMPORTED AND GIVES 400% SUCCESS IN ALL TRIALS....JUST THAT SAMUEL WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH...

BOTH "C" AND "D" COULD BE RIGHT / WRONG UNDER DIFFERENT INTERPRETATIONS......

can't agree more with semwal. Nowhere its mentioned that the experimental bait was inferior. May it was much better than the usual bait. Would we have similar question on GMAT? There should be unambiguous answer choices.

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season, [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 22:19
C; sounds reasonable. but it doesnt tell us whether the other fishermen were sick or not and for how long.
D; tells us that there was a valid reason behind samue's catch being poor when compared with others'.

D is the better option
Re: Samuel is obviously a bad fisherman. During the past season,   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2014, 22:19