Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 15:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Saunders: Everyone at last week s neighborhood association

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [1] , given: 20

Saunders: Everyone at last week s neighborhood association [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 04:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:36) correct 58% (02:43) wrong based on 38 sessions
Saunders: Everyone at last week’s neighborhood association meeting agreed that the row of abandoned and vandalized houses on Carlton Street posed a threat to the safety of our neighborhood. Moreover, no one now disputes that getting the houses torn down eliminated that threat. Some people tried to argue that it was unnecessary to demolish what they claimed were basically sound buildings, since the city had established a fund to help people in need of housing buy and rehabilitate such buildings. The overwhelming success of the demolition strategy, however, proves that the majority, who favored demolition, were right and that those who claimed that the problem could and should be solved by rehabilitating the houses were wrong.
20. Which one of the following principles, if established, would determine that demolishing the houses was the right decision or instead would determine that the proposal advocated by the opponents of demolition should have been adopted?
(A) When what to do about an abandoned neighborhood building is in dispute, the course of action that would result in the most housing for people who need it should be the one adopted unless the building is believed to pose a threat to neighborhood safety.
(B) When there are two proposals for solving a neighborhood problem, and only one of them would preclude the possibility of trying the other approach if the first proves unsatisfactory, then the approach that does not foreclose the other possibility should be the one adopted.
(C) If one of two proposals for renovating vacant neighborhood buildings requires government funding whereas the second does not, the second proposal should be the one adopted unless the necessary government funds have already been secured.
(D) No plan for eliminating a neighborhood problem that requires demolishing basically sound houses should be carried out until all other possible alternatives have been thoroughly investigated.
(E) No proposal for dealing with a threat to a neighborhood’s safety should be adopted merely because a majority of the residents of that neighborhood prefer that proposal to a particular counterproposal.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 06:06
oops donno

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 112

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 18:47
well well I will go with A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 20:07
I still think answer should be (A). cab someone explain why the OA is (B)

Kick GMAT ass

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2010, 20:19
Well, it's down to A or B.

I chose A.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [2] , given: 10

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 02:07
This post received
KUDOS
Puh,

I correctly chose B, but maybe that was because I read from E-->A ^^

I can see why many people chose A, to me it also seems close, but just not as strong as B is.

We are presented with two options/plans:
A) Demolish
B) Try an alternative approach

We are asked to pick a principle, if established, would help us with the decision.

I will start with B)
(B) When there are two proposals for solving a neighborhood problem (check), and only one of them would preclude the possibility of trying the other approach if the first proves unsatisfactory, then the approach that does not foreclose the other possibility should be the one adopted.

These are key! Since demolishing will preclude trying the other approach, but trying to revive the buildings with government sponsored aid does not preclude to demolish the building in the end, if Plan B does not work, B is the perfect fit to our example!

(A) When what to do about an abandoned neighborhood building is in dispute, the course of action that would result in the most housing for people who need it should be the one adopted unless the building is believed to pose a threat to neighborhood safety.

I guess the tricky part here is, that this answer seems to say:
Choose most housing --> Plan B
BUT, if threat --> Do NOT choose Plan B

There are two ways to maybe interpret this:
1) It basically tells you NOT to choose B, but that doees not automatically lead to plan A
2) Even if the building poses a threat to the neighbourhood, could option B not solve the "threat problem" as well? (we don't know...)

IMO A is close but B is simply more to the point of the example! As it is often the case in CR, stick AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the given text/example!

Hope it helps - cheers,
André
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 11

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 06:16
This post received
KUDOS
AndreG wrote:

We are presented with two options/plans:
A) Demolish
B) Try an alternative approach

We are asked to pick a principle, if established, would help us with the decision.

I will start with B)
(B) When there are two proposals for solving a neighborhood problem (check), and only one of them would preclude the possibility of trying the other approach if the first proves unsatisfactory, then the approach that does not foreclose the other possibility should be the one adopted.

These are key! Since demolishing will preclude trying the other approach, but trying to revive the buildings with government sponsored aid does not preclude to demolish the building in the end, if Plan B does not work, B is the perfect fit to our example!

I guess the tricky part here is, that this answer seems to say:
Choose most housing --> Plan B
BUT, if threat --> Do NOT choose Plan B

André

Thanks Andre, that's pretty good explanation from you, I think I understand now why A is not correct, just like you said, it provide us with option to choose B or not B but not to choose A.

However am I right in saying that (B) only suggest us to choose plan B?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 10

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 07:19
gautrang wrote:

Correct!
Because plan A precludes plan B, while plan B does not preclude plan A
(If B does not work, you can still tear down the building)
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 76

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2010, 08:48
gautrang wrote:
Thanks Andre, that's pretty good explanation from you, I think I understand now why A is not correct, just like you said, it provide us with option to choose B or not B but not to choose A.

I think that in A, the options are quite open: more housing is better unless there is a danger. A or B. Doesn't determine which one to choose. Because there is the government fund to help people in need, and the neighborhood feels that the empty houses are a danger to the community, so it doesn't determine the option that should have been followed.
But in B, as you said, it suggests us to choose only B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 14:02
none for me too........
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2010, 09:57
aah went for A!!!....Toughie!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 6

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 09:38
B for me. The argument is asking the possibility to work with both the proposals....rather than sticking to only 1 proposal and neglecting the other.

Try one of the two plans and if that does not work than try the other plan.....B says that exactly.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 00:21
B FOR ME TOO
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 03:39
Pretty tough but got the right answer...PHEW!! IMO B

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 5

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 05:13
Piecing this together is tough because of the wordiness, but it's actually not too difficult once you do. The answer is (B), because they're asking you which solution would determine, in the future, whether tearing down the houses was the best course of action. Right now, the demolition supporters are claiming it was the best course of action because it was so successful, but the people who opposed it never got to try out their solution of renovating the houses (because they were demolished). By instituting (B), the next time this situation comes up, the community will first try to renovate and see if that works. If it does work, than it supports their opinion from the original vote; if it doesn't, then the community will demolish, and the opinion of the demolition supporters will be backed.

(A) doesn't really fit because nowhere in the original passage is it ever mentioned that the people who opposed the original demolition wanted the houses renovated because more housing was needed.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: last week’s neighborhood [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2010, 10:08
TOUGH TOUGH very tough....
Re: last week’s neighborhood   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2010, 10:08