Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Say you have 5 coins. 1 coin has heads on both sides and the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Say you have 5 coins. 1 coin has heads on both sides and the [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 20:16
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

60% (01:53) correct 40% (00:45) wrong based on 2 sessions
Say you have 5 coins. 1 coin has heads on both sides and the other 4 coins are normal (heads on one side, tails on the other)

A coin is selected at random and flipped five times, each time landing on heads. What is the probability that this coin is the coin that has heads on each side?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3234

Kudos [?]: 22252 [1] , given: 2602

Re: really tough question [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2009, 22:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
baileyf16 wrote:
Say you have 5 coins. 1 coin has heads on both sides and the other 4 coins are normal (heads on one side, tails on the other)

A coin is selected at random and flipped five times, each time landing on heads. What is the probability that this coin is the coin that has heads on each side?

Let's first count the probability of 5 heads:

\frac{1}{5}*1+\frac{4}{5}*\frac{1}{2^{5}}=\frac{8}{40}+\frac{1}{40}=\frac{9}{40}

In this probability of \frac{9}{40} unfair coin contributed 8 shares out of 9, so the probability that the coin we chose randomly is unfair is: \frac{8}{9}

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: really tough question [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 06:05
Can u plz explain how it is 8 shares out of 9
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22252 [0], given: 2602

Re: really tough question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 01:30
Expert's post
adarsh12345 wrote:
Can u plz explain how it is 8 shares out of 9

We determined that the probability of five heads is 8/40+1/40=9/40. So, there are 9 chances out of 40 this to happen.

But we know that this probability has already happened, so this 9 chances "worked". For this 9 chances unfair coin contributed 8 shares (8/40 of the probability) and fair coin only 1 (1/40). So the chance that the coin is unfair is 8 out of 8+1=9.

We can calculate this in another way as the probability P(h=5)=9/40, the chances that this is unfair coin would be (1/5)/(9/40)=8/9 and the probability that the coin is fair is (1/40)/(9/40)=1/9.

This problem is dealing with the concept of conditional probability which is advanced issue of probability. I doubt that much of this is needed for GMAT.

Would be nice to see OA and OE for this question.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: really tough question [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 06:46
Thanks u.. + 1 to u..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 09:21
There are five coins. Four of them are regular two-sided coins, and one of them has two Heads. (In other words, one of the coins has Heads on both sides.)

You pick a coin at random and flip it five times. It comes up Heads each time.

What is the probability that you picked the coin with two Heads (the coin with Heads on both sides)?
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 175

Kudos [?]: 890 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 09:35
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 19

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 09:35
Here is my guess.

When a regular coin is flipped once it has a 1/2 chance of being heads. So for a regular coin to be heads five times it'll equal (1/2)^5 or 1/32 ... os one out of every 32 tries a coins will come up Heads fives times in a row.

We have 4 regular coins.. therefore 4 chances to hit the 5 heads with the regular coins...therefore 4*(1/32)= 1/8 probability that a regualr coin will be he 5 heads in a row.

Next we setup an equation. We know the probabilty of it hitting 5 heads in a row = 1 (it will happen) and we'll set X to be the probability that we selected the 2 headed coin.

so (1/8) + x = 1

therefore x=7/8

Answer: Probably that 2 headed coin picked was 7/8.

No idea if this is right, whats the OA?

G.T.L. - GMAT, Tanning, Laundry

Round 1: 05/12/10 handling-a-grenade-thesituation-s-official-debrief-94181.html

Round 2: 07/10/10 - This time it's personal.

CEO
CEO

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 09:50
probability is my weakest area.

IMO Prob of picking any coin is 1/5 , now this probability wont change even if you flip it 100 times.

since the outcome was head that means any one of the coin could have come and since its with both heads it should remain 1/5 only..

M not sure but it should be 1/5

7/8 can never be true as its quite close to 1.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 10:29
mkpoway wrote:
There are five coins. Four of them are regular two-sided coins, and one of them has two Heads. (In other words, one of the coins has Heads on both sides.)

You pick a coin at random and flip it five times. It comes up Heads each time.

What is the probability that you picked the coin with two Heads (the coin with Heads on both sides)?

Probability of choosing any coin will be 1/5.

Probability of choosing the specific coin with two heads is (just one coin)/(lot of 5 coins) = 1/5.

Probability of choosing a normal coin with one head and one tail ( 4 of the remaining lot of 5 that are good coins)/(lot of 5 coins) = 4/5.

That is all - PERIOD!!!

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 10:30
gurpreetsingh wrote:
probability is my weakest area.

IMO Prob of picking any coin is 1/5 , now this probability wont change even if you flip it 100 times.

since the outcome was head that means any one of the coin could have come and since its with both heads it should remain 1/5 only..

M not sure but it should be 1/5

7/8 can never be true as its quite close to 1.

Its not asking for the probability of 5H tho - its asking given that it DOES come up 5H, whats the probabilty you picked the 2-headed coin.

tough question.

Bunuel, o fearless quant leader, where are thee?

Manager
Manager

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 10:33
gurpreetsingh wrote:

Probability of choosing the specific coin with two heads is (just one coin)/(lot of 5 coins) = 1/5.

Probability of choosing a normal coin with one head and one tail ( 4 of the remaining lot of 5 that are good coins)/(lot of 5 coins) = 4/5.

That is all - PERIOD!!!

IMO, this would hold if all coins where equal. Given the outcome, 5 consecutive heads, not all the coins are equal.

they all have an equal chance of being selected but they DO NOT all have an equal chance of satisfying the 5H criteria.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 13:20
I'm with nickk, 8/9.

Here's how I look at it: 1/40 is the chance of picking up a non-trick coin and flipping 5H.

Chance of picking up a trick coin is 1/5, or 8/40.

Given that 5H has already happened, what is the probability that the coin is rigged?

Of all the times this event can occur, 8 of the 9 times would be due to a rigged coin. Only 1 of 9 chances would be attributed to pulling this off with a regular coin, if this event occurs.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 15:19
Yes I agree with Nick.

Can I also solve it like this:

If you pick the rigged coin, the probability of tossing 5 heads is 1. If you pick a normal coin, the probability is 1/32.

Therefore we take 1, then subtract the probability of picking a normal coin and tossing 5 heads in a row.

Mathematically, this would be 1 - (1 - the probability of NOT tossing 5 heads in row).

In other words:

1 - (1 - ( 31^2 / 32^2 ) = .880

Your method of 8/9 gives .888

is my method valid as well?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 15:55
TheSituation wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:

That is all - PERIOD!!!

IMO, this would hold if all coins where equal. Given the outcome, 5 consecutive heads, not all the coins are equal.

they all have an equal chance of being selected but they DO NOT all have an equal chance of satisfying the 5H criteria.

The question is actually confusing.

It says pick a coin first. Then flip it five times and you get Heads everytime.

If you choose the bad coin, you are bound to get head everytime. So probability of getting a head with the bad coin is always 1 and probability of getting a tails is 0.

All you have got to do is pick the bad coin and the chances are 1/5. As you pick it, you will get five heads no matter what.

If the question was rephrased say, all coins are good with equal probability for a heads as 1/2 and tails as 1/2 as well, then the situation would change. You'd have to choose any one coin in 1/5 ways and then flip it 5 times to get 5 heads, for this you'd have to use the Bernoulli's trials concept. For the above situation as well, bernoulli's trials is applicable however, since probablity of getting heads is always 1, it ends up at 1/5.

Anyone with a better logic, I'd certainly appreciate it.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 13

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 23:33
I dunno BarneyStinson, the way the question was worded seemed quite clear to me.

I also initially had trouble with it and (unfortunately) it took me more than 2 minutes to come up with the answer.

I drew a small probability tree as a visual guide. Obviously I didn't draw each flip, but only the whether the "desired" outcome us achieved (5H in a row).

The first coin has a probability of 1 of getting 5H if it is chosen, while it is 1/32 for the others. Next, I multiplied each probability by 1/5 (the chance of randomly choosing that coin). Finally, I divided 1/5 (1 multiplied by 1/5 - the "desired outcome") by (1/5 + 4/(32*5) - the total amount of outcomes) to get 8/9.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 21:47
I agree with Bunuel's approach. Kindly post the OA please.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1683 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2010, 22:07
Expert's post
I would go with 1/5. It doesn't matter how many times you flip a coin after you made your choice. Flipping doesn't change a coin you already have.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

CEO
CEO

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 02:25
walker wrote:
I would go with 1/5. It doesn't matter how many times you flip a coin after you made your choice. Flipping doesn't change a coin you already have.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Roger that. Should be 1/5 only. OA?

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 22252 [0], given: 2602

Re: Difficult probability question [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2010, 02:31
Expert's post
Conditional probability is a tricky concept, one thing good about it is that it's not tested in GMAT.

General case:

There are k coins: f are fair coins and c are counterfeit, two-headed coins (f+c=k). One coin is chosen at random and tossed n times. The results are all heads. What is the probability that the coin tossed is the two-headed one?

P(H=n)=\frac{f}{k}*(\frac{1}{2})^n+\frac{c}{k}*1^n=\frac{f+c2^n}{k2^{n}}.

The probability that the coin tossed is two-headed: \frac{\frac{c}{k}*1^n}{\frac{f+c2^n}{k2^{n}}}=\frac{c2^n}{f+c2^n}.

Now, if you substitute c, f and n by the values from the original question you'll get the probability of \frac{8}{9}.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: Difficult probability question   [#permalink] 11 Mar 2010, 02:31