Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC-1: Blood banks

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 17:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Dear all,

I am a bit confused over this SC. Please help solve this question.

1. Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them.

a.by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them
b.by testing it quickly for a variety of illness and distributing it before expiration.
c.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and distributing it before it expires
d.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and by, before they expire, distributing them
e.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and to distribute it before it expires

thanks.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 18:21
Please do provide reasons as to why you feel a particular choice is correct. That would help clarify my doubts.

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 321 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 18:31
sondenso wrote:
aviator83 wrote:
Dear all,

1. Blood banks can only make a donation useful to a hospital by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them.

a.by testing them quickly for a variety of illnesses and, before they expire, distributing them
b.by testing it quickly for a variety of illness and distributing it before expiration.
c.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and distributing it before it expires
d.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and by, before they expire, distributing them
e.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and to distribute it before it expires

thanks.

A for me!

I think "it" in B, C, D, E should not refer to "donation". Just my opinion!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 18:44
aviator83 wrote:
Dear all,

thanks.

I will go with A as well

The blood banks would test the blood samples(plural) and not the donation itself(singular), I believe "them makes better sense here rather than it.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 20:15
aviator83 wrote:
Dear all,

thanks.

Though A sounds logical, B suits better. Given that we are talking about "a donation" (singular) I am not sure how could we go with A, which states "before they expire" (plural). This makes it an invalid choice. What is the OA for this hair-splitter?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 20:38
Sunny143 wrote:
aviator83 wrote:
Dear all,

thanks.

I will go with A as well

The blood banks would test the blood samples(plural) and not the donation itself(singular), I believe "them makes better sense here rather than it.

Good explanation... However, it could be only a blood sample and not samples. I am not sure if we should read so much into the question - keeping things simple, shouldnt we treat a donation as a collective noun. In that case, the answer would be B.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 20:39
As ugly as this answer is, I'm going with C.

A. "them" and "donation" don't agree
B. "variety of illness" ...should be "variety of illnesses"
C. Correct. "testing it" and "donation" is correct. "distributing it before it..." ....lots of "it" in this but still refers back to the donation.
D. "before they expire" doesn't agree with donation. Same goes for "distributing them".
E. "testing" and "distribute" aren't parallel.

wizardofwashington wrote:
aviator83 wrote:

thanks.

Though A sounds logical, B suits better. Given that we are talking about "a donation" (singular) I am not sure how could we go with A, which states "before they expire" (plural). This makes it an invalid choice. What is the OA for this hair-splitter?
Manager
Manager

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2008, 20:43
raconteur wrote:
As ugly as this answer is, I'm going with C.

A. "them" and "donation" don't agree
B. "variety of illness" ...should be "variety of illnesses"
C. Correct. "testing it" and "donation" is correct. "distributing it before it..." ....lots of "it" in this but still refers back to the donation.
D. "before they expire" doesn't agree with donation. Same goes for "distributing them".
E. "testing" and "distribute" aren't parallel.

wizardofwashington wrote:
aviator83 wrote:

thanks.

Good catch, Reconteur. I totally goofed up with the "singular" reference for illness. I agree that C would be teh best for what we have in the list of choices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 03:50
C seems to be the only logical choice on this one

what is the OA for this

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Manager
Manager

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 09:38
Aviator, can you please post the OA? People are going nuts trying to find out what they picked is right or not. Thanks.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 11:21
Sentnece has Pronoun Number, Parallel and Modifier issues.

A donation is singular – them cannot refer the donation – eliminate A,D

b.by testing it quickly for a variety of illness and distributing it before expiration. [Adverb “Quickly cannot modify pronoun - Eliminate it]
c.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and distributing it before it expires [Establish paralle – hold it]
e.by quickly testing it for a variety of illnesses and to distribute it before it expires [ to distribute incorrectly tries to parallel to a hospital – eliminate it]

Answer: C
[/color]
Manager
Manager

Re: SC-1: Blood banks [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2008, 22:08
Thanks Guys...
the OA is (c). the question is all about pronoun reference here. "It" must refer to singular "donation".
Re: SC-1: Blood banks   [#permalink] 06 Jun 2008, 22:08