Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - 1000 - Household appliances

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC - 1000 - Household appliances [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 11:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
With explanations, please. Thanks!

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

edited by u2... please underline your sentences!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 11:18
E?

The only choice that sounds better than the others
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 11:23
the answer must be C, here is why

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
this is saying that household labor is able to afford something... and grandparents find A MIRACLE??? WTH... what is this miracle??? if it were referring to household appliances, then shouldn't it be MIRACLES???

(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
same idea as A

(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
:-D

(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous
this changes the meaning, saying that many people are definitely can afford the household appliances... we don't know whether that's the case :!:

(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents
incorrect use of WHICH, referring to the appliances themselves... but rather it's the whole action of being able to afford something that is miraculous to the grandparents
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 11:31
Sorry about that U2Lover. I should have underlined. Thanks for doing it for me.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 11:36
Thanks u2lover. I am not sure I understand. Your explanation for E is that the fact of their being able to afford the household appliances is miraculous, and not the appliances themselves?

In that case, how is C different?
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 11:58
hsampath wrote:
Thanks u2lover. I am not sure I understand. Your explanation for E is that the fact of their being able to afford the household appliances is miraculous, and not the appliances themselves?

just reread E explanation... didn't get myself WTH I said... it doesn't refer to the fact indeed, especially because of EVEN IF... oh well... carelessness :roll: here is a more convincing argument:

(C) even if they can afford household appliances [THAT] their grandparents would have found miraculous
THAT here is omitted as it may be in many cases and clearly refers to appliances and the fact that what grandparents would have thought of those appliances.

(E) For many people, labor remains demanding even if they are able to afford household appliances WHICH would have been a miracle to their grandparents
WHICH here seems to refer to appliances... appliances are PLURAL and MIRALCE is singular. BTH, WHICH is usually set off by commas and introduces non-essential information.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 13:26
u2lover wrote:
hsampath wrote:

just reread E explanation... didn't get myself WTH I said... it doesn't refer to the fact indeed, especially because of EVEN IF... oh well... carelessness :roll: here is a more convincing argument:

(C) even if they can afford household appliances [THAT] their grandparents would have found miraculous
THAT here is omitted as it may be in many cases and clearly refers to appliances and the fact that what grandparents would have thought of those appliances.

(E) For many people, labor remains demanding even if they are able to afford household appliances WHICH would have been a miracle to their grandparents
WHICH here seems to refer to appliances... appliances are PLURAL and MIRALCE is singular. BTH, WHICH is usually set off by commas and introduces non-essential information.

Went for E initially but you nailed it...Yep it should be C not E...

which in E should be for an idea so it is out
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2006, 17:29
Thanks u2lover! Makes sense. I also went for E and the OA is C.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2006, 16:46
u2lover wrote:
the answer must be C, here is why

this is saying that household labor is able to afford something... and grandparents find A MIRACLE??? WTH... what is this miracle??? if it were referring to household appliances, then shouldn't it be MIRACLES???

same idea as A

:-D

this changes the meaning, saying that many people are definitely can afford the household appliances... we don't know whether that's the case :!:

incorrect use of WHICH, referring to the appliances themselves... but rather it's the whole action of being able to afford something that is miraculous to the grandparents

U2lover very nice explanation.

Agree C for the same reasoning.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2006, 06:33
Prefer C here.

‘their grandparents would find a miracle…’ not sure accurately connecting the first part of the sentence. So, ‘A’ is out.

‘Although’ is just out of place in ‘D’.

E is too wordy and again the second part does not do the justice.

B: See a tense issue with the use of ‘would find’. Present perfect would have made more sense here.
  [#permalink] 27 Dec 2006, 06:33