Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [219]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [60]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [46]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
bmwhype2 wrote:
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle

(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle

(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous

(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous

(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended meaning of this sentence is that even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous, household labor remains demanding for many people.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Tenses + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• The “would + have + past participle" construction is used to refer to a hypothetical action in the past.
• The "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions.
• “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.
• The simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature.
• The simple past tense is only used to refer to events that concluded in the past.

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "household labor remains demanding even if able to afford"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that for many people household labor remains demanding, even if the labor can afford certain household appliances; the intended meaning is that household labor remains demanding for many people, even if the people can afford certain household appliances. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the "would + simple present tense verb ("find" in this sentence)" construction to refer to a hypothetical action in the past; please remember, the “would + have + past participle" construction is used to refer to a hypothetical action in the past, and the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions. Additionally, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrases "able to afford" and "a miracle", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "household labor remains demanding despite being able to afford"; the construction of this phrase illogically implies that for many people household labor remains demanding, even if the labor can afford certain household appliances; the intended meaning is that household labor remains demanding for many people, even if the people can afford certain household appliances. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the "would + simple present tense verb ("find" in this sentence)" construction to refer to a hypothetical action in the past; please remember, the “would + have + past participle" construction is used to refer to a hypothetical action in the past, and the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions. Additionally, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrases "able to afford" and "a miracle", rendering it awkward and redundant. Moreover, Option B needlessly uses "being", leading to further awkwardness and redundancy; please remember, “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

C: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "even if they can afford", conveying the intended meaning - that even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous, household labor remains demanding for many people. Further, Option C correctly uses the simple present tense verb phrase "can afford" to refer to an action taking place in the current time frame. Additionally, Option C correctly uses the “would + have + past participle ("found" in this sentence)" construction to refer to a hypothetical action in the past. Besides, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses the simple past tense verb "could afford" to refer to an action taking place in the current time frame; please remember, the simple present tense is used to indicate actions taking place in the current time frame, indicate habitual actions, state universal truths, and convey information that is permanent in nature, and the simple past tense is only used to refer to events that concluded in the past. Further, Option D incorrectly uses the "would + simple present tense verb ("find" in this sentence)" construction to refer to a hypothetical action in the past; please remember, the “would + have + past participle" construction is used to refer to a hypothetical action in the past, and the "would + simple present tense verb" construction is used to refer to hypothetical future actions.

E: This answer choice uses the passive voice constructions "they are able to" and "would have been a miracle", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "Simple Tenses" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

To understand the concept of "Being" on the GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1268 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
C it is.
'can' is concise than 'able to'.
'could' changes the meaning of the sentence to a 'possibility' while the original sentence implies 'ability'.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [6]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
whichscore wrote:
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household
appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a
miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found
miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find
miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle
to their grandparents

beautiful question.
remember conditional sentences.
to say that a non-fact action is likely to happen in present or future, we use "would do". if I were you, I would do this job.
"would do" is impossible to happen because I can not be you. that is why "non fact action is likely to happen".
to say a non fact action is likely to happen in the past, we use "would have done". if I had met her yesterday, I would have shake hands with her". I did not meet her yesterday, so I can not shake hands.

our sentence is the same. in C, "their parent would have found miraculous" is used to say about non fact action which is certain to happen in the past. but this action can not happen because grandparent can not have the appliances .

to expanse this point, I say about "could have done". to say that a non fact action can happen, but is not certain to happen we use "could have done". similarly, we can say" I can do this job. I will do this job" to present a possibility or a likeliness of doing this job.

is this from gmatprep? I suspect because it is possible that there grandparent is still alive and the non fact action is in present time and, so, "would do" is still correct.

this sentence can be considered a conditional sentence to which we are farmiliar.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [5]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi daagh, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k !

IMO, all options are wrong due to some reason that I mention below!, so please check whether my reasoning is right or wrong! Many thanks!

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

1. lack of subject after even if

(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle

1. lack of relative pronoun (which, that) between household appliances and their grandparents would find a miracle, therefore a run-on sentence.

2. appliances is plural, while a miracle is singular, so there is no agreement between them.

(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous

1. lack of relative pronoun (which, that) between household appliances and their grandparents would find a miracle, therefore a run-on sentence.

(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous

1. lack of conjuntion between household appliances and their grandparents would find a miracle, therefore a run-on sentence.

2. there is no need for constrast

(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

1. lack of comma before which

2. appliances is plural, while a miracle is singular, so there is no agreement between them.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor

leanhdung

The very foundation GMAT is the guidance from OG and GMAT Prep topics through their validity and veracity. If we do not trust them, we will only be going round and round like a bee that has lost its way. On the face of it, I will vouch that there is a definitive and correct answer to this GMAT Prep question.

Now, perhaps it will be interesting to know why you call A, B, and D as run-ons vis-a-vis the definition of the run-ons as sentences in which two or more independent clauses (i.e. complete sentences) are joined without an appropriate conjunction or mark of punctuation. The run-on one finds mostly in GMAT is the comma - splice in which the comma takes on the job of joining the two ICs...
It will be satisfying if we can know what the two ICs are herein and how they are improperly joined. It may be noted that there is no comma used anywhere in these three choices.

IMO, the more substantive route to solve this would be to sift whether ' would find' or 'would have found' is correct. There is no point in saying that the grandparents would find them a miracle in the coming future days. We must attribute their perception with what they would have felt in their on their own contemporaneous times. That is the reason, A, B, and D could be dropped in one go.
Now left with C and E, the latter can be faulted for using a poor substitute 'are able to' to means just 'can' and using 'which' without the customary comma. You may also add to this the charge that it is unnecessarily passive. I feel E will fly in the face of the more dynamic C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
daagh wrote:

leanhdung

The very foundation GMAT is the guidance from OG and GMAT Prep topics through their validity and veracity. If we do not trust them, we will only be going round and round like a bee that has lost its way. On the face of it, I will vouch that there is a definitive and correct answer to this GMAT Prep question.

Now, perhaps it will be interesting to know why you call A, B, and D as run-ons vis-a-vis the definition of the run-ons as sentences in which two or more independent clauses (i.e. complete sentences) are joined without an appropriate conjunction or mark of punctuation. The run-on one finds mostly in GMAT is the comma - splice in which the comma takes on the job of joining the two ICs...
It will be satisfying if we can know what the two ICs are herein and how they are improperly joined. It may be noted that there is no comma used anywhere in these three choices.

IMO, the more substantive route to solve this would be to sift whether ' would find' or 'would have found' is correct. There is no point in saying that the grandparents would find them a miracle in the coming future days. We must attribute their perception with what they would have felt in their on their own contemporaneous times. That is the reason, A, B, and D could be dropped in one go.
Now left with C and E, the latter can be faulted for using a poor substitute 'are able to' to means just 'can' and using 'which' without the customary comma. You may also add to this the charge that it is unnecessarily passive. I feel E will fly in the face of the more dynamic C.

Yeah. I agree with you on the use of would do and would have found!

Let go back to clarify my doubt about run-on sentence.

You mentioned definition of the run-ons as sentences in which two or more independent clauses (i.e. complete sentences) are joined without an appropriate conjunction or mark of punctuation.

In option (C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous, we have two indepedent clauses: even if they can afford household appliances and their grandparents would have found miraculous and there is not any conjuntion between them.

Please explain why this sentence is not considered a run-on one on the basis of your above definition of run-on sentence!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
Yeah daagh I agree with you on the difference between would find and would have found.

Let go back to clarify my doubt about the run-on sentence.

I got it: in option C, even if they can afford household appliances is dependent clause and their grandparents would have found miraculous is independent clause.

I usually observe that when the dependent clause comes first, then there is a comma after dependent clause. For example: Although it was raining, we went to the movies.

Bacause this is the first time I see the structure: Even if clause 1 clause 2 (there is no comma), I think sentence structure in C is weird :). In my reasoning, if C have a comma between even if they can afford household appliances and their grandparents would have found miraculous, i will choice C

So, in my example, if we remove comma, the sentence becomes Although it was raining we went to the movies, is the new sentence right?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Send PM
Kudos