Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 14:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC#21 : Post your answer with explanation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC#21 : Post your answer with explanation [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 10:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Don't forget to explain your answer.

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend

B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending

C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend

D) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

E) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, and spending

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 11:53
I am 99.9% sure this is D... what the heck... 100% :lol:

plans "REQURE"... gerund "requiring" can't replace the verb, so A and B are out

C... plans can't spend time with each patient :lol:

E is 100% not parallel
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 12:20
I agree with D. We have seen this ...

u2 statement is 100% true .... plans can't spend time with patient
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 13:00
I'm sorry for posting the OA too soon.
OA =(E) "that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, and spending "

This is from Matt's verbal challenge question set. Gosh !! I'm still wondering how this can be the right answer !! If any of you can explain that would really help this poor soul.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC#21 : Post your answer with explanation [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 13:31
Swagatalakshmi wrote:

Among lower-paid workers, union members are less likely than non union members to be enrolled in lower-end insurance plans imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend less time with each.

A) imposing stricter limits on medical services and requiring doctors to see more patients, and spend

B) imposing stricter limits on medical services , requiring doctors to see more patients, and spending

C) that impose stricter limits on medical services, require doctors to see more patients, and spend

D) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spending

E) that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, and spending

I think "E" is the right answer. Plans impose not "imposing" since this will happen in future being a consequence in future it shud be accompanied by "That" and followed by impose "Verb" and then plan "require" not "requiring" both will be || since have individual effect and spending for mutual effect!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 14:06
bhalla.sumant - I'm sorry buddy but your explanation didn't answer "and spending" part. Can you try one more time ?

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 18:04
I am sorry, but I definitely can't believe that E is the answer... it can't be

in addition to ||sm, comma before AND has no business -> we put comma before and when we introduce another independent clause and gerund SPENDING can't replace a verb.

my 2 cents and I am staying with D

please check the source and the correct answer!
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 18:17
Swagatalakshmi wrote:
I'm sorry for posting the OA too soon.
OA =(E) "that impose stricter limits on medical services and require doctors to see more patients, and spending "

This is from Matt's verbal challenge question set. Gosh !! I'm still wondering how this can be the right answer !! If any of you can explain that would really help this poor soul.

Dude, double check your sources before jumping to conclusions.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=33918

The OA for this has always been (D). I even PM'd you about this earlier this morning :roll:

The source of this SC is still unknown. Dahiya was the first to decipher it. I'll try to find the original thread...

Last edited by GMATT73 on 31 Aug 2006, 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Re: SC#21 : Post your answer with explanation [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 18:19
Swagatalakshmi wrote:

I was leaning toward A more for ||.
plans imposing ~ and requiring doctors to see ~, and spend ~

The comma at the end bothered me though...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 18:27
u2lover wrote:

E is 100% not parallel

Hey U2lover, I have 2 questions for U.

1. Answer D has "requiring" not "Require". I don't understand your explanation about gerund.
2. What's spending time with Patients? Services or Doctor?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 18:37
sng wrote:
u2lover wrote:

E is 100% not parallel

Hey U2lover, I have 2 questions for U.

1. Answer D has "requiring" not "Require". I don't understand your explanation about gerund.
2. What's spending time with Patients? Services or Doctor?

1) plans "REQUIRING" is a :no :no Gerund is NOT A VERB thus can't replace one... however, it can be used as a verb with conjugated TO BE + GERUND= VERB

u2lovergirl IS STUDYING for GMAT :yes
u2lovergirl STUDYING for GMAT :yikes :no

2) plans impose limit by requiring X to do Y and [by] spending time...
"BY" is not there, I just rephrased that to help you uderstand what it's saying
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2006, 18:56
Thanks for the quick reply.
I still don't see what's 'spending less time with each'? I feel that it should be:

D) that impose stricter limits on medical services, requiring doctors to see more patients and spend
  [#permalink] 31 Aug 2006, 18:56