Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [12]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Re: Some parents have a very difficult time coming to grips with [#permalink]
Kudos
asthanap wrote:
Some parents have a very difficult time coming to grips with the fact that their offspring have become adults; consequently, they see their children as they were during their adolescence.

A. they see their children as they were during
B. they see their children as they had been during
C. they see their children as if during
D. their children appear to them as they did in
E. their children appear to them as though in

Which is the right option?

I dont know if I am being the oddman out but let me put down my 0.02

To me, appear changes the meaning. See is some thing you can't avoid and it is there.

Appear is some thing that might be there or not but we can be deluded and see it.

Here appear is wrong as the parents see them as they were.

Another imp difference you might note is D & E are also in passive voice. P sees C is active. C appears to P as X is passive

So Down to A,B,C

C tries to use subjective and falls flat

Down to A & B

I just could not justify the usage of past perfect and I chose A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
asthanap wrote:
Some parents have a very difficult time coming to grips with the fact that their offspring have become adults; consequently, they see their children as they were during their adolescence.

(A) they see their children as they were during
(B) they see their children as they had been during
(C) they see their children as if during
(D) their children appear to them as they did in
(E) their children appear to them as though in

Why wouldn't the pronoun "they" refer to the parents in this context?

B is in present perfect, and implies that there is a past state that could persist into the future, right?
C isn't right, since "as" is used to compare actions or processes and "like" would fit better.
D changes the verb to "appear" which alters the intended context of the sentence.
E is incorrect for the same reasons like D

A is the correct answer, since it is in the simple past and shows that the children were adolescents for a specified period of time.

Help me please with feedback... I'm trying to figure out why A is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Bookmarks
TimeForFalling wrote:
asthanap wrote:

Why wouldn't the pronoun "they" refer to the parents in this context?

B is in present perfect, and implies that there is a past state that could persist into the future, right?
C isn't right, since "as" is used to compare actions or processes and "like" would fit better.
D changes the verb to "appear" which alters the intended context of the sentence.
E is incorrect for the same reasons like D

A is the correct answer, since it is in the simple past and shows that the children were adolescents for a specified period of time.

Help me please with feedback... I'm trying to figure out why A is correct.

A semicolon can stand in for a conjunction that joins two complete sentences.
When you see a troublesome semicolon in a sentence, try replacing it with a conjunction such as "and" and see if if it makes sense.

Some parents have a very difficult time coming to grips with the fact that their offspring have become adults, and consequently, they see their children as they were during their adolescence.

the second "they" could refer to parents, however it doesn't make sense from the first part of the sentence.

The first part of the sentence establishes:
1. The children of the parents are now adults
2. The parents have a hard time accepting the fact that their children are now adults

Therefore:
The parents still see their adult children as they (offspring) were during their (the offsprings') adolescence.

Try it with the 2nd they referring to the parents:

The parents still see their adult children as the parents themselves were during the parent's own adolescence.

This doesn't make sense.. during your own childhood you wouldn't fret about accepting your future children as adults when you grow old.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Columbia, NYU, Wharton, UCLA, Berkeley
WE 1: 2 Yrs mgmt consulting
WE 2: 2 yrs m&a
Send PM
Kudos
geez, i couldn't understand what was right and wrong after reading all these forum responses.

It's A according to framework 9..had to email the Zeke Lee dude myself
GMATPill's framework #9

ONce we're in the present verb, your available choices that reference the past are:
1) they see their children as they have been [had been can only be used if the first verb "see" was past tense]
2) they see their children as they were during

Only the second option is shown in the answer choices, which is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q47  V33 GMAT 2: 710  Q50  V36
Send PM
Kudos
The only gripe i have with this question is that the "they" could in theory refer to either the parents or the children.

Although common sense tells you that they should refer to the children, since its hard to imagine about the parent's perception of the children when the parents are themselves children.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
I completey agree with daagh. Some prep company has tried to simulate a question similar to the OG; however, none of the choices sound right to me.
Poorly written question. What is the source of the question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi experts,

I am new to 700-level questions and it might be rude justify the viable of question with my very little knowledge.I would like to ask for your opinion regarding the correct option--(A) they see their children as they...In my 2 cents,this is an absolute pronoun ambiguity since they refer to different things.Please clarify my reasoning if anything is wrong.

Regards
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Some parents have a very difficult time coming to grips with [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi experts,

I am new to 700-level questions and it might be rude justify the viable of question with my very little knowledge.I would like to ask for your opinion regarding the correct option--(A) they see their children as they...In my 2 cents,this is an absolute pronoun ambiguity since they refer to different things.Please clarify my reasoning if anything is wrong.

Regards

Your reasoning is correct. The first "they"/ "their" in the underlined part refers to "parents", whereas the second "they" refers to "children". This is considered a serious error in GMAT, and The OA is definitely incorrect.

Option A has been modified to take care of this issue. Thank you for pointing out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
ykaiim wrote:
Read this one from OG:

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.
(A) we see them as they were during
(B) we see them as they had been during
(C) we see them as if during
(D) they appear to us as they did in
(E) they appear to us as though in

OE:
A, the best choice, correctly employs the simple past verb tense to describe a past condition. Choice B inappropriately switches to the past perfect (had been); the past perfect properly describes action that is completed prior to some other event described with the simple past tense. Choice C presents a dangling adverbial modifier, as if during ..., that illogically modifies we see. D ambiguously suggests that the quasars appeared to us in the formation of the universe_ that is, as though we were present to view them then. In E, as though in distorts the meaning to suggest that we see the quasars in a hypothetical situation_ that is, that they may not have been involved in the formation of the universe.

Hope this is useful.

OG question is perfectly fine as it conveyed its intended meaning. But in this case, The intended meaning of the sentence is "The parents see their adolescent period in their children", but in A the meaning somewhat comes like this "The parents see their children as these parents saw children's adolescence." which is nonsensical. I think the question is incorrect. What's source of this question?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
Read this one from OG:

Quasars are so distant that their light has taken billions of years to reach the Earth; consequently, we see them as they were during the formation of the universe.
(A) we see them as they were during
(B) we see them as they had been during
(C) we see them as if during
(D) they appear to us as they did in
(E) they appear to us as though in

OE:
A, the best choice, correctly employs the simple past verb tense to describe a past condition. Choice B inappropriately switches to the past perfect (had been); the past perfect properly describes action that is completed prior to some other event described with the simple past tense. Choice C presents a dangling adverbial modifier, as if during ..., that illogically modifies we see. D ambiguously suggests that the quasars appeared to us in the formation of the universe_ that is, as though we were present to view them then. In E, as though in distorts the meaning to suggest that we see the quasars in a hypothetical situation_ that is, that they may not have been involved in the formation of the universe.

Hope this is useful.

OG question is perfectly fine as it conveyed its intended meaning. But in this case, The intended meaning of the sentence is "The parents see their adolescent period in their children", but in A the meaning somewhat comes like this "The parents see their children as these parents saw children's adolescence." which is nonsensical. I think the question is incorrect. What's source of this question?

Originally there was a pronoun ambiguity as already discussed above. The modified option A conveys the following meaning:

The parents see their children (during the children's adult phase) as they saw those children during the children's adolescence.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts