Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [18]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderot’s factual Encycl [#permalink]
E vs C? Because of the placement of "factual"?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderot’s factual Encycl [#permalink]
Hi Bunuel
How come the OA is E?
E). a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which

Here, which refers to the scandal and the following statement " which both men prudently chose to embark on extended vacations in nearby Austria" makes zero sense!

Either the word "led" is missing between 'which' and 'both' or this is possibly wrong.

Please clarify.
Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Karmesh wrote:
Hi Bunuel
How come the OA is E?
E). a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which

Here, which refers to the scandal and the following statement " which both men prudently chose to embark on extended vacations in nearby Austria" makes zero sense!

Either the word "led" is missing between 'which' and 'both' or this is possibly wrong.

Please clarify.
Thanks
I see "C" on clicking "OA". Maybe the OA was updated?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Karmesh wrote:
Hi Bunuel
How come the OA is E?

Please clarify.
Thanks
I see "C" on clicking "OA". Maybe the OA was updated?

Yes, it was :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Shouldn't the asnwer be E? In C "his" has no referant. So doesn't "both men" make any sense. Plus "his friend Voltaire’s" isn't a hot mess?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 779
GMAT 1: 430 Q39 V12
Send PM
Gruzin wrote:
Shouldn't the asnwer be E? In C "his" has no referant. So doesn't "both men" make any sense. Plus "his friend Voltaire’s" isn't a hot mess?

(E) a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which.

although I choose C, in E we do not see problem!!!! "maybe that part incorrect"
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
This question popped up on our Ask Me Anything About SC thread. Reposting here in case it helps somebody:

Aviral1995 wrote:
GMATNinja

Could you please help me with this question- https://gmatclub.com/forum/published-du ... 02278.html

I am confused b/w C and E
i rejected C beause in C we donot have a clear reference for his friend in "his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide"

Please help

Bunuel wrote:
Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and both men prudently chose to embark on extended vacations in nearby Austria.

(A) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and
(B) Diderot and his friend Voltaire’s caused such a sensational scandal with their factual Encyclopedia and fictional Candide, respectively, that
(C) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of a scandal so sensational that
(D) the scandal caused by Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide was so sensational
(E) a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which

I'm not 100% sure that this question is really from an official source -- the "1000 Series" questions are pretty dodgy.

But for whatever it's worth: in (C), we have "Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide..." I'm assuming that your doubt is about the pronoun "his"? There's no problem there at all: "his" clearly refers back to "Diderot's", so that gives us "Diderot's factual Encyclopedia and Diderot's friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide..." Granted, that's a mouthful since there are two possessive nouns in the same phrase, but there's nothing wrong with it: Diderot had a friend named Voltaire, and that guy wrote a work of fiction called Candide.

(I think somebody made me read Candide in high school. I have absolutely zero memory of it. :idontknow:)

So there's nothing to worry about, but let me know if I'm misinterpreting your question. I hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
Send PM
Published during the late eighteenth century, Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and both men prudently chose to embark on extended vacations in nearby Austria.

(A) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of such a sensational scandal, and, use of and is incorrect, ditsorting the intended meaning
(B) Diderot and his friend Voltaire’s caused such a sensational scandal with their factual Encyclopedia and fictional Candide, respectively, that -illogical comparison
(C) Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide were the cause of a scandal so sensational that -correct
(D) the scandal caused by Diderot’s factual Encyclopedia and his friend Voltaire’s fictional Candide was so sensational modifier error
(E) a factual Encyclopedia by Diderot and the fictional Candide, by his friend Voltaire, caused a sensational scandal, which
Spoiler: modifier error
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 65
Schools: Alberta '23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM