Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 382 [224]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [97]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 419 [56]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [14]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; he constru [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think the answer is E.

"Summarizig" looks like a verb but is being used as a noun (a.k.a. Gerund), so uing "merely" with it doesn't make any sense. It would make sense if "summarizing" was the acting Degler did. (Degler was merely summarizing the deposition when I called him.)

In E, "summarize" is the direct object. "Degler does"....Degler does what? He does more than merely summarize...

You can have a verb in the direct object. You just have to use it properly. The verb is "summarize". It is often used in the form of the infinitive "to summarize". "He did summarize, He summarized. You can add -ing to it, but it is no longer a verb. It's a gerund...a [VERB + ING] that is ued as a noun. Once this happens the usage is completely changed and the answer choices with "summarizing" do not use it correctly.

"more than merely" is actually functioning as an adverbial phrase. It describes to what extent Degler does summarize.

rpmodi wrote:
Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; he constructs a coherent picture of two centuries of studies dealing with the changing roles of women.

A. Degler does more than merely summarizing

B. Deglers study is more than a mere summarizing of

C. Degler has done more than a mere summarizing of

D. Deglers study has done more than summarize merely

E. Degler does more than merely summarize

people , I need good explanation on this one .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [7]
Send PM
Re: Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; he constru [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Good one - Stumbled between A and E

Since “he” in the second part of the sentence refers a person, “Deglers study” is illogical to be the subject. Eliminate B and D

Parallel issue: X more than Y where both X and Y are parallel.

A. Degler does more than merely summarizing [[adverb] merely [modifies participle] summarizing [which in turn modifies another participle] existing [which finally modifies noun] research [ this results in a modifying phrase – so [verb] more than [modifying phrase] are not parallel – eliminate it]

B. Deglers study is more than a mere summarizing of

C. Degler has done more than a mere summarizing of [ [verb] has done more than [noun]a mere - not parallel – eliminate it]

D. Deglers study has done more than summarize merely

E. Degler does more than merely summarize [[verb]does more than [adverb]merely [modifies verb ]summarize – [verb] more than [verb] - parallel – hold it]

Answer: E
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Here it is comparison between what Degler does - merely summarize/ more than summarizing, /and summarizing of one hand and constructs (present tense) on the other hand.

(A) Degler does more than merely summarizing…….summarizing and constructs do not go //

(B) Degler’s study is more than a mere summarizing of ---- summarizing of and constructs do not go well; one is a gerund and the other is a verb

(C) Degler has done more than a mere summarizing of ----- same as B

(D) Degler’s study has done more than summarize merely- comparing a study with he – a person; unparallel

(E) Degler does more than merely summarize ------- Degler tallies with He, does summarize tallies with constructs --- correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
maybeam wrote:
Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; he constructs a coherent picture of two centuries of studies dealing with the changing roles of women.
(A) Degler does more than merely summarizing
(B) Degler’s study is more than a mere summarizing of
(C) Degler has done more than a mere summarizing of
(D) Degler’s study has done more than summarize merely
(E) Degler does more than merely summarize

Quote:
Please explain why summarize and not summarizing?

I will try answer , but hope some experts can answer this question.

X more than Y, is the correct idioms. X and Y need to be parallel to each other. If we use "summarizing", the sentence will be "Does" vs "Summarizing", this relationship is not parallel, since Summarizing is not a verb in this context.

"Does" vs " summarize" is parallel; Hence, the sentence is correct!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Here it is comparison between what Degler does - merely summarize/ more than summarizing, /and summarizing of one hand and constructs (present tense) on the other hand.

(A) Degler does more than merely summarizing…….summarizing and constructs do not go //

(B) Degler’s study is more than a mere summarizing of ---- summarizing of and constructs do not go well; one is a gerund and the other is a verb

(C) Degler has done more than a mere summarizing of ----- same as B

(D) Degler’s study has done more than summarize merely- comparing a study with he – a person; unparallel

(E) Degler does more than merely summarize ------- Degler tallies with He, does summarize tallies with constructs --- correct

The 2 clauses are separated by semicolon ";", should they are paralleled? I dont think GMAT required parallelism in 2 independent clauses? Thanks :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [4]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

not parrallel in comparison structure: verb (degler does) with V_ing (summarizing) which could mistakenly assumpt play as noun

(B) Degler’s study is more than a mere summarizing of
not coherence with overal structure: degler does ... ; he constructs ...
incorrect compare what Degler does with a noun "summarizing"

same reason in choice B

(D) Degler’s study has done more than summarize merely
incorrect for the same reason in choice B

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Bookmarks

--> "does" need a verb

(B) Deglers study is more than a mere summarizing of
--> summarizing is awkward. can be replaced with the noun form (summarization)

--> summarizing is awkward. can be replaced with the noun form (summarization)

(D) Deglers study has done more than summarize merely
--> summarize is a verb. its wrongly placed at Object place

--> Correct

The answer is E.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
The subject of this sentence is Degler and not Deglers study (missing apostrophe?)

So, we can eliminate Options B and D.

The concept that is under consideration here is parallelism.
The structure that we are looking for is X more than Y – both X and Y should be of the same part of speech/form.

In Options A and C, ‘summarizing’ is not a verb but a gerund. We need a verb that will parallel ‘does’. Eliminate.

Option E has the correct structure and parallelism.

Option E is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
rpmodi wrote:

(B) Deglers study is more than a mere summarizing of

(D) Deglers study has done more than summarize merely

(A) Summarizing as a verb is a misfit, as the entire sentence is simple present.
(B) Apostrophe missing in Deglers study, Summarizing used as a verb we need adjective summary
(C) Present perfect describes completed action
(D) Same as (B) and meaning says study has done more than summerize
(E) Correct (Solves all problems even though does not sound good :shock: )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 254
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: HEC'22 (J)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Degler does more than merely summarizing existing research; he constru [#permalink]
Kudos
rpmodi wrote:

(B) Degler's study is more than a mere summarizing of

(D) Degler's study has done more than summarize merely

Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja DmitryFarber , After going through other posts , I understand the all other options has parallelism issues, and E is the only one with parallelism fixed. However, I wanted to check if meaning of E makes sense here? E contains the verb in simple present tense, and based on my understanding we use present tense to show universal facts, and habitual actions. So doesnt E means that he generally does more than merely summarise his research? and if that is true, how does it fits with the sentence after ';' because it talks about specific research, whlle 1st is a general statement.

Appreciate your help and time!

Originally posted by RohitSaluja on 30 May 2021, 09:58.
Last edited by RohitSaluja on 30 May 2021, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Hi VeritasKarishma BrightOutlookJenn GMATGuruNY GMATinsight GMATNinja

A query on basic concept:

Usually we compare adjective vs adjective (1) ; clause vs clause(2) ; adverb vs adverb(3)
(1) She has pleasant voice than him. ( Adjective comparison : voice vs voice)
(2) He runs faster than TK ( Adverb comparison adverb : run vs run
(3) He works more time than he sleeps ( clause comparison: he works vs he sleeps)--> )subject) is present

(Q1) I believe: he works more time than sleeps --this sentence should be ok ? ( elliptical HE)

In this particular question for E option:
Q2. Is comparison here : verb/action vs verb/action( does vs summarize?) . Summarize acts as VERB here. is not it?
Q3. Should it not be : He does more than HE summarizeS
Q4. Even we have HE as ellipse: still it should be : Why not use summarize(s)--> He does more than summarizeS

Maybe I am missing something basic or not able to recall. Kindly guide.

Thanks! VeritasKarishma BrightOutlookJenn GMATGuruNY GMATinsight GMATNinja
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [5]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos