Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - British sociologist

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2008, 10:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

56% (01:52) correct 43% (00:43) wrong based on 16 sessions
This has been discussed on the forum earlier, but the answer is not clear to me yet.

The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humorous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she then earned as director of adult education for London.

A.

B. that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning

C. that there was an elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade zoo, and it earned

D. the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning

E. the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 0

Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Is "A" the correct answer? It looks like it to me. The original wording of the sentence is awkward, to be sure. But B through E all look even less correct.

One of the things I do with long phrases like this is to shorten them as much as possible. For this one, in my mind I eliminate "The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as" and "as director of adult education for London" to shorten the part of the sentence in question to:

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

This lets me focus on the only part that matters. It doesn't matter that Barbara's last name is Wootton or that she's a British sociologist and activist. It also doesn't matter that her former job was director of adult education for London. All of those extra words just make things more confusing, so I get rid of them.

Using the shortened, easier version of the sentence, we come up with the following when we plug in choices B through E:

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] that there was an elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade zoo, and it earned annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

Does looking at it this way help any?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 22:56
A - can't see anything wrong with it. But all the others have at least one error.
namurad wrote:
The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humorous example of income maldistribution that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what she then earned as director of adult education for London.

A. that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning

B. that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning

C. that there was an elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade zoo, and it earned

D. the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning

E. the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 23:42
This post received
KUDOS
ParrotHead wrote:
Is "A" the correct answer? It looks like it to me. The original wording of the sentence is awkward, to be sure. But B through E all look even less correct.

One of the things I do with long phrases like this is to shorten them as much as possible. For this one, in my mind I eliminate "The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as" and "as director of adult education for London" to shorten the part of the sentence in question to:

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] that the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo was earning annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

This lets me focus on the only part that matters. It doesn't matter that Barbara's last name is Wootton or that she's a British sociologist and activist. It also doesn't matter that her former job was director of adult education for London. All of those extra words just make things more confusing, so I get rid of them.

Using the shortened, easier version of the sentence, we come up with the following when we plug in choices B through E:

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] that the elephant, giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo, had been earning annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] that there was an elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade zoo, and it earned annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

"A humorous example of income maldistribution [was] the elephant giving rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that it earned annually exactly what [Barbara] then earned."

Does looking at it this way help any?

Thanks ParrotHead for that approach. I will surely keep it in mind next time when i come across a long SC. btw, whats wrong with B? isn't it better for ||ism? In fact i rejected A just for ||ism. I thought "was earning" is not || to "earned".

Last edited by namurad on 28 Apr 2008, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2008, 23:44
+1 to parrothead for an awesome explanation :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 07:32
whats the diferrence between A and D?
thanks

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2010, 09:16
noboru wrote:
whats the diferrence between A and D?
thanks

If we consider D as an answer, the sentence becomes :
The British sociologist and activist Barbara Wootton once noted as a humorous example of income maldistribution
the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and was earning annually exactly what she then earned as director of adult education for London.

there are two relative clauses
1.that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo
2. was earning annually exactly what she then earned as director of adult education for London.

and Barbara noted the elephant not its earning was exactly her earning which is wrong.

She actually noted that the elephant's earning was exactly her earning.

I think that clarifies your question.
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 1168 [2] , given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Looking from another angle IMO, the simple clue here is that the use of ‘giving’ is utterly wrong because it gives a notion that the elephant is at the moment giving rides. There is no escape from using the phrase “that gave rides” to describe the elephant since the whole setting is in the past tense. Hence, let us kick out B, C and E, leaving just A and D. On the face of it, D is wrong because it is missing the 'that' after the conjunction ‘and’ thus missing parallelism. You are left with just A which avoids the parallelism issue by dropping the conjunction 'and' converting the two clauses into one relative clause. Have a happy ride on A

Mine is just an extension to ParrotHead’s thoughts.

Parrothead: You deserve my kudos
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 12:27
daagh wrote:
Looking from another angle IMO, the simple clue here is that the use of ‘giving’ is utterly wrong because it gives a notion that the elephant is at the moment giving rides. There is no escape from using the phrase “that gave rides” to describe the elephant since the whole setting is in the past tense. Hence, let us kick out B, C and E, leaving just A and D. On the face of it, D is wrong because it is missing the 'that' after the conjunction ‘and’ thus missing parallelism. You are left with just A which avoids the parallelism issue by dropping the conjunction 'and' converting the two clauses into one relative clause. Have a happy ride on A

Mine is just an extension to ParrotHead’s thoughts.

Parrothead: You deserve my kudos

I think that the second that in D is actually not needed, so for me there is no lack of ||.
So you are saying that if D were: the elephant that gave rides to children at the Whipsnade Zoo and that was earning
you would put your money with D?

Please elaborate.
thanks in advance.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 06:43
A-
B-we don't need past perfect--->eliminate
C-"it" is ambiguous (zoo or elephant?) --->eliminate
D and E: we need "that" after report verb of "note" ---> eliminate

A is answer
Manager
Manager
Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Re: SC - British sociologist [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 22:11
Hi Mike,

I have doubt in option C in regard to substantive clause.
Could you please clarify on this .

Here in Option C , is the sentence following after "that" a substantive clause?
Is option C wrong because , (comma +and) Structure is separating the substantive clause ?

I think this doubt may sound weird for you , but need your help:)
Thanks in advance :)
Re: SC - British sociologist   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2014, 22:11