Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 23:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC Challenge-1 1) State legislators have claimed that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC Challenge-1 1) State legislators have claimed that the [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 00:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
SC Challenge-1

1) State legislators have claimed that the escalating costs for the heating oil used in large quantities during the cold seasons have risen so much that families with limited sources of income might not be able to afford to heat their houses for even a few hours per day.

A that the escalating costs for the heating oil used in large quantities during the cold seasons have risen
B the cost for the heating oil used in large quantities during the cold seasons have risen
C that the escalating costs of heating oil used in large quantities during the cold seasons have gone up
D that the escalating heating oil cost used in large quantities during the cold seasons has risen
E that the costs for the heating oil used in large quantities during the cold seasons have risen

2) However much lobbyists are able to increase support for the proposed bill to lower the tax-rate ceiling among legislators, it is unlikely that such legislation would result in a decreased overall tax burden for the majority of the middle class in the next few years.

A However much lobbyists are able to increase support for the proposed bill
B Although many lobbyists will be able to increase support for the proposed bill
C Even though lobbyists can increase support for the proposed bill
D Even if many lobbyists will be to increase support for the bill that is proposed
E No matter if lobbyists succeed in increasing the amount of support for the proposed bill

3) Paleontologists have discovered and researched a recently found dinosaur skeleton, one that they have determined is a new classification of dinosaur.

A that they have determined is a new classification of dinosaur
B they have determined to be of a new classification of dinosaur
C they have determined is a new classification of dinosaur
D that they had determined is new for classification of dinosaurs
E that they determined is of a new dinosaur classification

4) During the early years of European settlement on a continent that was viewed as "wilderness" by the newcomers, Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of many Pilgrims and pioneers from hardship, or even death.

(A) Native Americans, intimately knowing the ecology of the land, were a help in the rescuing of
(B) Native Americans knew the ecology and the land intimately and this enabled them to help in the rescue of
(C) Native Americans, with their intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, helped to rescue
(D) having intimate knowledge of the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped the rescue of
(E) knowing intimately the ecology of the land, Native Americans helped to rescue

5. Although the counselor recommended that Mary be permitted to work out a sensible schedule, she agreed that there has to be some limits on the freedom given to a thirteen-year-old.

(A) there has to be some limits on the freedom given to a thirteen-year-old
(B) some limits on the freedom given to a thirteen- year-old had to be
(C) there have to be some limitations to be given to the freedom of a thirteen-year-old
(D) some limitations on the freedom given to a thirteen-year-old were necessary
(E) It is necessary that some limits have to be on the freedom given to a thirteen-year-old

---- Hero never chooses Destiny
Destiny chooses Him ......

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 00:23
Request that only one question be posted as advised in the posting guidelines. I think it keeps the interests high.

I hv the following answers. I am experimenting here - did the 5 questions under 3 minutes - let me see if I am getting them right (just practicing the eventuality wherein I will have to take guesses when short in time - in the actual test).

1. C
2. A
3. E
4. C
5. A
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 00:29
i am sorry to post all 5 questions , but i got the challenege set as 5 questions and i thought its better to post as it was rather than posting them as 5 seperate questions .

Answers

1 . E
2 . A
3. B
4. C
5. D

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 00:30
i am sorry to post all 5 questions , but i got the challenege set as 5 questions and i thought its better to post as it was rather than posting them as 5 seperate questions .

Answers

1 . E
2 . A
3. B
4. C
5. D

i appreciate expalinations for the above answers , thanks .

Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Challenge 1 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 00:40
srijay007 wrote:
CABCD ...

Oops I got the first one wrong :beat
Ya for 1->E looks right!
escalating costs have gone up
This clearly looks redundant now!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 666 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 01:01
Yes, please post one a time. learning is more important than getting questions right or wrong. a question per thread helps.

thanks
praet
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 02:15
I think we are pretty unanimous on the answers of questions 2,4 and 5 (I had earlier marked B for Q5, but now understand that D would be better).

I marked C for Q1 and B for Q3. Could anyone who feels these answers are incorrect please explain why?

For Q1, I feel costs for the heating oil is incorrect. It should be cost of.
For Q3I'm confused between B and E

--

./abisurd
Not absurd :)

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 02:36
Quote:
For Q1, I feel costs for the heating oil is incorrect. It should be cost of.
For Q3I'm confused between B and E

Q1)dont get bogged down by COSTS FOR or COST OF
instead elminate choices with redundunt words
escalating.......risen/gone up

Q3) ONE THAT is redundant
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2004, 05:06
Could anyone bring a final touch to this un/idiomatic cost of / cost for stuff ?

I worked only with redundance and subject/verb agreement for Q1...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2004, 05:20
i too have an issue with question 1 on costs/cost. Redundancy does not exist for either of them.

Franky
http://franky4gmat.blogspot.com

[#permalink] 03 Oct 2004, 05:20