Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [44]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [9]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 468 [2]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Send PM
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year, due to new [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
praetorian123 wrote:
More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year, due to new mandatory recycling laws in municipalities across the nation.

A) More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year
B) It is expected that more paper than ever will be recycled this year than previously and that is
C) The paper expected to be recycled this year is more than ever
D) The amount of paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be greater than ever
E) A great increase in the amount of paper that will be recycled this year is

thanks

While A is not "technically" wrong grammatically, the problem is that there is an ambiguity over whether "more than ever" refers to "expected" or "recycled". Consider two rephasings of the sentence:

(1) Paper is expected, more than ever, to be recycled this year, due to new mandatory recycling laws in municipalities across the nation.

(2) More paper is expected to be recycled this year than ever, due to new mandatory recycling laws in municipalities across the nation.

(1) implies an increased "expectation" that paper will be recycled (as opposed to it not?). This seem to be an unlikely intention of the author compared to (2):

(2) seems to be a more reasonable interpretation of the author's intent being that there is always some paper being recycled no matter what. Unfortunately, that is not what he says, so (A) is not a good choice.

D seems to best convey the intention of (2) so I would go with it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Re: More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year, due to new [#permalink]
More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year, due to new mandatory recycling laws in municipalities across the nation.

A. More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year
Modifier error, implies paper is more than ever
B. It is expected that more paper than ever will be recycled this year than previously and that is
Not clear, we are not talking about paper but instead the amount.
C. The paper expected to be recycled this year is more than ever
Not clear, the paper is more than ever
D. The amount of paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be greater than ever
Correct
E. A great increase in the amount of paper that will be recycled this year is
I can't put my finger on exactly why this is wrong
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
I agree with D being best

(A) is confusing in that we are not sure what the introductory modifier is really modifying. In all likelihood,
"more than ever" seems to be modifying the expectation of paper being recycled rather than the actual quantity of paper being recycled.

Thus, we can read A as:
Paper is expected, more than ever, to be recycled --> wrong
More paper than ever is expected to be recycled --> right

Given this ambiguity in A, D is best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [3]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
lgon wrote:
(A) More than ever, paper is expected to be recycled this year
(B) It is expected that more paper than ever will be recycled this year than previously and that is
(C) The paper expected to be recycled this year is more than ever
(D) The amount of paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be greater than ever
(E) A great increase in the amount of paper that will be recycled this year is

D.

Let's analyse C.

(C) The paper expected to be recycled this year is more than ever - "paper" can't be "more than ever". Reference should be to "the amount of paper", not "paper" itself. However the moment we refer to the "amount" - i.e. quantity, I learned that we should use "greater than". We use "more than" when we make qualitative comparison - e.g. I love you more than I do Kelly :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [5]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
For those who profess by D, I have a small question. The comparative term ‘greater’ is to be used strictly with numbers. Where is any number in the topic? The amount here refers to a volume, essentially a non- countable factor.

In addition why such a circuitous way of saying as paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be? Can’t we crisply say as paper expected to be recycled this year is?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: due to [#permalink]
(E) would be better stated as "The great increase" rather than "A great increase". The intention of the sentence is to focus on one specific increase that is happening...not a general increase.

The intended meaning of the greatest increase "ever" is also lost with (E). It simply states the direction but misses out on the relative magnitude of that increase.

That's why (E) has some issues.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
daagh wrote:
For those who profess by D, I have a small question. The comparative term ‘greater’ is to be used strictly with numbers. Where is any number in the topic? The amount here refers to a volume, essentially a non- countable factor.

In addition why such a circuitous way of saying as paper that will be recycled this year is expected to be? Can’t we crisply say as paper expected to be recycled this year is?

Agree with Daghah we need more for uncountable and greater for countable items/. How come the amount be greater, this doesn't make any sense. C it is in my opinion, although question may indeed by flawed.

Cheers
J
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Well, Correct me if I'm wrong,

but Greater is used for non-countable noun as well as for numbers.. thus the usage here seems to be correct!!

-Piyush

jlgdr wrote:
daagh wrote:

Agree with Daghah we need more for uncountable and greater for countable items/. How come the amount be greater, this doesn't make any sense. C it is in my opinion, although question may indeed by flawed.

Cheers
J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Question to experts

what does "due to ...", which can be interchanged with "caused by", modify here ?

"greater than ever" in D) cannot be modified by "due to..."
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos