Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC: Conditional Sentences Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC: Conditional Sentences Review [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 10:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:32) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
When solving this question, think about it in terms of using the correct tense in a conditional!!!

If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of highly processed foods and excelling at sports is purely coincidental.

A. If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of

B. Should Dr. Wade be right, any apparent connection of eating

C. If Dr. Wade is right, any connection that is apparent between eating of

D. If Dr. Wade is right, any apparent connection between eating

E. Should Dr. Wade have been right, any connection apparent between eating

Last edited by u2lover on 27 Jun 2006, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Conditional [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 10:49
u2lover wrote:
When solving this question, think about it in terms of using the correct tense in a conditional!!!

If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of highly processed foods and excelling at sports is purely coincidental.

A. If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of

B. Should Dr. Wade be right, any apparent connection of eating

C. If Dr. Wade is right, any connection that is apparent between eating of

D. If Dr. Wade is right, any apparent connection between eating

E. Should Dr. Wade have been right, any connection apparent between eating

Dont know what the correct tense should be in conditionals, so please help me understand. Here D looks good to me.

I believe its yogurt!

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 11:08
D looks good.

A and B are out because of 'connection of'. should be 'connection between'. In C, it should be 'the eating of', and GMAT frowns on gerunds anyway. E is awkward...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 11:51
Another one for D.

Purely becasue of the tense "is" in the question and in D and also the use of between
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 19:00
D is the best.
If Dr. Wade is right, any apparent connection between the eating of highly processed foods and excelling at sports is purely coincidental.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
The OA is D indeed... I picked A :roll: didn't see any idioms as it wasn't the focus of my h/w... and I am not good with idioms anyways...

I wanted to briefly disscuss the CONDITIONALS and the TENSES that practically give the wrong answers away... you might know it already, but review is always helpful (feel free to add what you know on this matter)!
Conditional Sentences are known as Conditional Clauses or "If" Clauses. They are used to express that the action in the main clause (without if) can only take place if a certain condition (in the clause with if) is fulfilled.

There are 3 Types of those:

Type 1
It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled. We don't know for sure whether the condition actually will be fulfilled or not, but the conditions seems rather realistic – so we think it is likely to happen.

Formula: if + Simple Present, will-Future

Example: If I go to Ireland, I will visit Dublin. :wink:

Type 2
It is possible but very unlikely, that the condition will be fulfilled. Conditional Sentences Type II refer to situations in the present. An action could happen if the present situation were different. I don't really expect the situation to change, however. I just imagine „what would happen if …“

Formula: if + Simple Past, Conditional I (= would + Infinitive)

Example: If I went to Ireland, I would visit Dublin. (I felt this one sounded kind of awkward, but I guess gramatically correct)

Type 3
It is impossible that the condition will be fulfilled because it refers to the past. Conditional Sentences Type III refer to situations in the past. An action could have happened in the past if a certain condition had been fulfilled. Things were different then, however. We just imagine, what would have happened if the situation had been fulfilled.

Formula: if + Past Perfect, Conditional II (= would + have + Past Participle)

Example: If I had gone to Ireland, I would have visited Dublin.

REMEMBER:
1)"WOULD/WILL" never appears in the "IF" clause and you can easily eliminate choices based on that fact!!!
2) If the tense is PRESENT SIMPLE, then, the condition is likely to be either PAST SIMPLE or FUTURE SIMPLE, NOT anything else, meaning the tenses should be parallel (If PAST PERFECT -> Then PRESENT PERFECT) etc
3) Do NOT go by "what sounds right"... YOU WILL get it wrong... So if this subject is your weak area (like it was mine) never go by this rule!
4) If I WERE blah..., the blah... many know this rule (i didn't, it thought it was SVA :stupid )

if you want practice quizzes, here is the link:
http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/exercises_list/if.htm

please add more...

DISCLAIMER: some of you know that I am doing GMAX, but this is NOT their material... this is my own efforts of Google search to get more info on the subject!

Last edited by u2lover on 27 Jun 2006, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 09:28
from the previous post you can see, that I picked A because it has the logically correct verb tense (omit the idioms, for this sake)...

A) If Dr. Wade was right, any apparent connection of the eating of highly processed foods and excelling at sports is purely coincidental
(past simple -> present simple) Type 1 possibly?

D) If Dr. Wade is right, any apparent connection between eating highly processed foods and excelling at sports is purely coincidental
(present simple -> present simple)...

if someone can clafiry this, it would be very helpful... may be this is some kind of exception (BESIDES the idiom part!!!)
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 11:17
u2lover,

I would suggest that instead of just remembering the rules verb forms, read the sentence and then judge what time the sentence parts talk about. Taking your examples:

If I go to Ireland, I will visit Dublin. : Part 1 is future and part 2 is also future.

If I went to Ireland, I would visit Dublin: Part 1 is past and part 2 is also past.

If I had gone to Ireland, I would have visited Dublin: Part 1 is past perfect and part 2 is also past perfect.

I think its all about ||ism.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2006, 12:32
ps_dahiya wrote:
If I go to Ireland, I will visit Dublin. : Part 1 is future and part 2 is also future.

If I went to Ireland, I would visit Dublin: Part 1 is past and part 2 is also past.

If I had gone to Ireland, I would have visited Dublin: Part 1 is past perfect (OK) and part 2 is also past perfect (HAVE VISITED... isn't this Present Perfect? "would" doesn't turn it into past perfect)

I think its all about ||ism.

Also, when talking about tenses in conditional, the meaning, it seems, is important part of the puzzle... yet when I was talking about eliminating choices based on tense, I was thinking about the verb forms themselves... like in the examples : "if I WENT (past simple), then I VISIT (present simple)"... etc

I will do more research on "WOULD", but for now one rule I am CERTAIN about is that you never use "would" in the "IF" CLAUSE!!!
  [#permalink] 27 Jun 2006, 12:32