Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [120]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [47]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [14]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 2: 720  Q50  V36
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Send PM
Re: Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the [#permalink]
shrutisingh wrote:
97. Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.
(A) it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant
(B) it is unlikely that the size of their effect would be significant
(C) affecting their sizes are not likely to be significant
(D) the significance of their effect on its size is unlikely
(E) its effect on their size is not likely to be significant

The OA is E,but why cant the ans be A.plz explain

A has amiguity, it and its.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8529 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the [#permalink]
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Everybody's pretty much talked this one to death, but I got asked by PM to take on one particular issue, so I'll just run through all the answer choices, while I'm here.

97. Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.
PROBLEM: The use of "it" here twice to mean two different things is grammatically unfeasible. The first "it" has no referent (That's the "it" we use to start out clauses, such as "It's crazy how much fire there is in here."), and the second refers to "the coordination..."

PROBLEM: We want to imply the effect on the size of imbalances, not the size of the effect.

PROBLEM: The subject of "are" here is...what? Maybe "affecting"...doesn't make any sense.

PROBLEM: We don't mean the significance is unlikely, but that it's unlikely to be significant.

ANSWER: Isn't it pretty? Like in ALL the answer choices, the "its" refers to "the coordination...".

Hope that helps!

-t

And what about the idiom?
According to Manhattan SC, the idiom is either "likely to" or "likely that X will". Taking this into account, you can choose E quickly.
Thanks.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey Noboru,

It helps a bit, but it doesn't get you right down to E. As far as I can see, C would work, too. Still, getting rid of three answer choices is pretty good.

-t
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8529 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Everybody's pretty much talked this one to death, but I got asked by PM to take on one particular issue, so I'll just run through all the answer choices, while I'm here.

PROBLEM: The use of "it" here twice to mean two different things is grammatically unfeasible. The first "it" has no referent (That's the "it" we use to start out clauses, such as "It's crazy how much fire there is in here."), and the second refers to "the coordination..."

PROBLEM: We want to imply the effect on the size of imbalances, not the size of the effect.

PROBLEM: The subject of "are" here is...what? Maybe "affecting"...doesn't make any sense.

PROBLEM: We don't mean the significance is unlikely, but that it's unlikely to be significant.

ANSWER: Isn't it pretty? Like in ALL the answer choices, the "its" refers to "the coordination...".

Hope that helps!

-t

In this other post: sc-gmatprep-1-federal-reserve-76040-20.html#p757216
I have thrown a question regarding the usage of "it" that you explain above.
Many thanks for your comments.
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey Noburu,

I'll post the same response in both places, just in case. However, I believe that I'm entirely consistent in these two examples. It's okay to start a sentence/clause with it, as in: "It sure is raining a lot today." Yes, that "it" has no antecedent, but we allow this usage. In the example you cite here, the problem in answer choice A is not the first "it", but the second "it", which could be referring to "coordination" or "orderly financing". Though ambiguity is an issue that GMAT sometimes ignores and sometimes doesn't, it's clearly better here to get rid of that extra pronoun. Remember that we ALSO have a "their", which makes for three pronouns in 8 words (in answer choice A).

Hope that's clearer!

-t
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.

Please explain your answer

sayantanc2k
I m confused between A and E. Both seem correct to me. please help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
nishant12600 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
Although the coordination of monetary policy can help facilitate the orderly financing of existing imbalances, it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant in the absence of an appropriate fiscal adjustment.

Please explain your answer

sayantanc2k

(A) is wrong because of the wrong usage of present tense "is" - likely / unlikely depicts a future event, and hence "will be" should be used.

...it is unlikely that its effect on their size is WILL BE significant...

but, Both option A and E use "is" ...... How is E better than A?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [9]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nishant12600 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
nishant12600 wrote:

sayantanc2k

(A) is wrong because of the wrong usage of present tense "is" - likely / unlikely depicts a future event, and hence "will be" should be used.

...it is unlikely that its effect on their size is WILL BE significant...

but, Both option A and E use "is" ...... How is E better than A?

No, option E does not have "is" inside likely. You are talking about the verb "is" that is outside likely and is there in both options. The problematic "is" in option A is replaced with "to be" in option E.

A) it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant
E) its effect on their size is not likely to be significant

The blue font "is" could be any tense - this verb is not the verb whose likelihood is discussed. The red "is" the problem because the likelihood of this red "is" is discussed and hence must be in future ( or infinitive as in option E).

The two correct forms are:
likely that <future>
likely <infinitive>
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor

(A) it is unlikely that its effect on their size is significant ---unlikely' a future feature doesn't gel with the present 'is' -- out

(B) it is unlikely that the size of their effect would be significant-- We must pair 'its' with 'effect' and 'their' with 'size'. out

(C) affecting their sizes are not likely to be significant, --- Affecting their sizes and are is an S-V error. out.

(D) the significance of their effect on its size is unlikely-- As in B: We must pair 'its' with 'effect' and 'their' with 'size'. -- out.

(E) its effect on their size is not likely to be significant -- correct
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bookmarks

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

Hope that helps!

-t

As per MGMAT staff TommyWallach , the reason to eliminate option A is two instances of pronoun 'it' referring to two different things.(One is a placeholder and other refers to a noun)
But in this official question, the above reasoning does not seem to be valid.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/it-was-only- ... 24268.html

It was only after Katharine Graham became publisher of The Washington Post in 1963 that it moved into the first rank of American newspapers, and it was under her command that the paper won high praises for its unrelenting reporting of the Watergate scandal.

Although I chose option E, I could not eliminate option A with conviction.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , other experts - please enlighten
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos