Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC-Drugs!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

SC-Drugs! [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2004, 13:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Please POST your Expl!

According to a recent study of consumer spending on prescription medications, increases in the sales of the 50 drugs that were advertised most heavily accounts for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of which came fromsales of the 9,850 prescription medicines that companies did not advertise or advertised very little.

A. heavily accounts for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of which came

B. heavily were what accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year; the remainder of the increase coming

C. heavily accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of the increase coming

D. heavily, accounting for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, while the remainder of the increase came

E. heavily, which accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, with the remainder of it coming
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2004, 16:20
It is (D).

A. heavily accounts for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of which came
"increases" is plural

B. heavily were what accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year; the remainder of the increase coming
Awkward. The use of ";" set off a seperate sentence but grammatically incorrect

C. heavily accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, the remainder of the increase coming
The part after "," created an incorrect clause

D. heavily, accounting for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, while the remainder of the increase came
Correct. The part "accounting ..." modyfies "increases...", also making contrast "while..."

E. heavily, which accounted for almost half of the $20.8 billion increase in drug spending last year, with the remainder of it coming
"which" does not modify anything. The use of "..., with..." is incorrect.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2004, 19:53
I would also pick D. I narrowed down to D and E. E has "which" and "it" - seem ambiguous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2004, 20:36
Hi Everbody! I would like everybody to reconsider the options!

don't you guys think that the parts set apart by the " comma" makes no sense??????

Moreover D is not the correct option

Thanks
Saurabh Malpani
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2004, 05:28
I pick (C) and i agree that the parts separated by the comma look awkward.

Can we have the OA pls
  [#permalink] 28 Dec 2004, 05:28