Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 18:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC: Formulas for cash flow

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
SC: Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 10:58
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
Try to spot the error in wrong choices, this is not tough one... :)

Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.

(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.
(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.
(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Formulas for cash flow [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 11:19
Here is my take on this..

(B) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses.
--> Misplaced modifier

(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.-- Correct

(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.--> Not parallel.

(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium -- Awkward

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 11:39
A) Ambiguous pronoun "they"

B) Agreed, misplaced modifier

C) Correct

D) Ambiguous pronoun "them

E) Misplaced modifier

Your thoughts?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 14:28
I would go with D..

(A) Formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to new small businesses in the same way as they do to established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium.
"they" are growing..We dnt know which one..So pronoun error

modifier error... instead of formulaes in the second part, it should be small business
(C) Because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, new small businesses are not subject to the same applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity as established big businesses.
A confusing one..Seems correct but "applicability of formulaes" looks awkward.
(D) Because new small businesses are growing and are seldom in equilibrium, formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity do not apply to them in the same way as to established big businesses.
Between C and D , i would go with this one.
(E) New small businesses are not subject to the applicability of formulas for cash flow and the ratio of debt to equity in the same way as established big businesses, because they are growing and are seldom in equilibrium
Pronoun error again
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 19:47
In C, you need something to end with big businesses.. I dont know if this is a pronoun or what, but you are saying.. small businesses are not subject to blah blah in the same way big businesses are.

Hence I go with D.

What is OA?
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 20:31
In C, it is unclear as to which business is growing.

Take (D) for clarity.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 21:47
I think I am gonna change my answer to D too.. after a lot of thinking.. D is making more sense..

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2006, 21:58
I picked D.

I have a question on answer choice C,
Because they are growing......., small businesses..... IS this a legal sentence ? Can a sentence start with a pronoun followed by the appropriate subject....excuse my ignorace !

Last edited by lhotseface on 11 Jan 2006, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2006, 21:24
Very well tried by all :) The OA is 'D'!

>> 'They' has no clear antecedant.

>> This is wordy. "in the same way as they do to". Otherwise 'they' has no problems. Also, first part modifies formulas, it should be new small business.

>> This is false comparison. "as established big businesses". Also, "are not subject to the same applicability of formulas" sounds awkward.

>> Good.

>> 'They' has no clear antecedant.

I like full underlined SCs ! 8-) (Irrespective of whether I get it right/wrong ;))
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2006, 23:33
lhotseface wrote:
I picked D.

I have a question on answer choice C,
Because they are growing......., small businesses..... IS this a legal sentence ? Can a sentence start with a pronoun followed by the appropriate subject....excuse my ignorace !

YES, but second sentence should have a correct modifier to midify the pronoun
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2007, 22:44
How come "them" in answer D isn't considered vague?

Is it only vague and incorrect if two plural nouns (i.e. small business vs. big businesses) are introduced before "they" or "them"?

If that were the case, then would D be correct b/c "them" refers to small business (since big business isn't introduced until the end)?

Still tying to full understand why certain references to "they" are incorrect and why some clearly reference the intended noun.
  [#permalink] 01 Aug 2007, 22:44