Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - GMAT Prep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 10:28
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (02:04) correct 28% (01:16) wrong based on 14 sessions
Hi,

Pleas provide answer with explanations. Thanks.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

sc1-prep2.jpg
sc1-prep2.jpg [ 94.66 KiB | Viewed 1311 times ]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 20:14
C) 'The growth'... 'exceeds that which had been for 10000 years'
D) 'The growth'... 'exceeds what it has been for 10000 years,'
E) 'The growth'... 'exceeded what it did for the 10000 years,'

C, D, E all badly formed.

Between A and B, A is the better formed.

I go with A.

Give [highlight]KUDOS [/highlight] if you like my post.

Always do things which make you feel ALIVE!!!

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 45

Kudos [?]: 149 [3] , given: 1

Re: SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 00:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Lots of nasty modifiers here that require careful placement. So many of the phrases in these answer choices are the same--that's a clue that it will probably be the *position* of the phrases relative to each other that determines our answer.

The first split I chose to look at was between A/B ("Between 1990...) and C/D/E (The growth...). Neither is bad in and of itself, but seeing that "the growth" is the subject of the entire sentence for C/D/E is a cue for us to check the verb associated with that subject....sure enough, C and D use the present tense verb "exceeds" so we can cross them off-- we're in 2010, so the growth mentioned is *past* growth.

Also if the subject of the sentence in choice E is "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000," then the second verb doesn't make sense when you replace the pronoun "it" with its antecedent: "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" exceeded what " the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" did during an earlier time period? E's out too.

We're down to A and B. In general, the GMAT does not like unattached "that," "this," or "those" -- these words need some noun attached to them (this CAR, those PEOPLE, etc). A construction that IS allowed, and sometimes confuses people, is the use of "that of" or "those of" in a sentence. By adding the preposition "of," we imply the noun that was used earlier in the sentence. For example--

The door of my apartment is sturdier than the door of his apartment. Correct
The door of my apartment is sturdier than THAT OF his apartment. Correct, and means the exact same thing as the sentence immediate above
The door of my apartment is sturdier than that his apartment. INCORRECT

We need the "of" to complete this construction, and (B) doesn't have it. Eliminate.

That leaves us with (A). All of the modifiers are placed correctly and unambiguously, so that we know what each phrase refers to.

JP Park | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Los Angeles

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 00:51
parker wrote:
Lots of nasty modifiers here that require careful placement. So many of the phrases in these answer choices are the same--that's a clue that it will probably be the *position* of the phrases relative to each other that determines our answer.

The first split I chose to look at was between A/B ("Between 1990...) and C/D/E (The growth...). Neither is bad in and of itself, but seeing that "the growth" is the subject of the entire sentence for C/D/E is a cue for us to check the verb associated with that subject....sure enough, C and D use the present tense verb "exceeds" so we can cross them off-- we're in 2010, so the growth mentioned is *past* growth.

Also if the subject of the sentence in choice E is "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000," then the second verb doesn't make sense when you replace the pronoun "it" with its antecedent: "the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" exceeded what " the growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000" did during an earlier time period? E's out too.

We're down to A and B. In general, the GMAT does not like unattached "that," "this," or "those" -- these words need some noun attached to them (this CAR, those PEOPLE, etc). A construction that IS allowed, and sometimes confuses people, is the use of "that of" or "those of" in a sentence. By adding the preposition "of," we imply the noun that was used earlier in the sentence. For example--

The door of my apartment is sturdier than the door of his apartment. Correct
The door of my apartment is sturdier than THAT OF his apartment. Correct, and means the exact same thing as the sentence immediate above
The door of my apartment is sturdier than that his apartment. INCORRECT

We need the "of" to complete this construction, and (B) doesn't have it. Eliminate.

That leaves us with (A). All of the modifiers are placed correctly and unambiguously, so that we know what each phrase refers to.

it is awesome explanation Parker.
I have eliminated B because i think ' from when ... to 1950" is unidiomatic. Is my POE right?

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 149 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 20:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Good question-- it's not a construction that I've seen often and my gut says I don't like it, but I can't say that it's on my "definite no" list; I always hesitate to put something on that list unless I've seen it explicitly pointed out in official materials (also, I try to use idiom as the absolute last criteria for elimination).

But let's open it up to the group--has anyone else come across this in an OG problem or want to weigh in?

Manager
Manager

Re: SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 00:55
parker wrote:
Good question-- it's not a construction that I've seen often and my gut says I don't like it, but I can't say that it's on my "definite no" list; I always hesitate to put something on that list unless I've seen it explicitly pointed out in official materials (also, I try to use idiom as the absolute last criteria for elimination).

But let's open it up to the group--has anyone else come across this in an OG problem or want to weigh in?

thanks Parker, i am not a native speaker and i wasted about 1 year to learn the lesson (on sc) you are recommending. Now my first approach to most sc problems is to consider its meaning first.
Comming back the sentence here, is "growth/economy + exceed" wierd in meaning? Plz kindly elaborate on this matter to help me understand deeply. i appreciate your all helps and willing to give kudos to all rational elucidations. :P

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 149 [2] , given: 1

Re: SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2011, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
"Exceeded" is typically used to compare something to a threshold value ("exceeded my budget," "exceeded expectations," etc). But while it doesn't strike me as a common construction, it's not on my concrete no-no list and I always hesitate to make first-round eliminations based on idioms that are not on that list. In this case, you don't need to because of the other errors present. It's always safer to save idiom choices for the last round, unless you are 100% sure based on past OG questions that the idiom is incorrect.

Last edited by parker on 26 Jan 2011, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 00:35
parker wrote:
"Exceeded" is typically used to compare something to a threshold value ("exceeded my budget," "exceeded expectations," etc). But while it doesn't strike me as a common construction-- again, it's not on my concrete no-no list and I always hesitate to make first-round eliminations based on idioms that are not on that list. In this case, you don't need to because of the other errors present. It's always safer to save idiom choices for the last round, unless you are 100% sure based on past OG questions the idiom is incorrect.

thank you Parker for correcting me.

Re: SC - GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2011, 00:35