Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - gmatprep - because vs. in that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

SC - gmatprep - because vs. in that [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 08:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:23) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
sc
Attachments

untitled2.JPG
untitled2.JPG [ 53.46 KiB | Viewed 1094 times ]

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2007
Posts: 1111
Location: London
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 11:48
one more C

Gmat loves In That a lot then it does Because.

But in this test, A and B cannot be answer due to the usage of Both in A and Dependent in B.

Thus we have to go with C.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 584
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - gmatprep - because vs. in that [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 19:36
Piter wrote:
sc


A - "in that" is preferred over "because" in GMAT.

Between A and B , A looks Ok.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2596
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2007, 20:41
I say A for same reasons as ashkrs.

Also notice the original sentence says: "could produce"


C states "is able to produce"

C changes the meaning of the original sentence.

Askrs can you inform us more on in that vs. because.


I just remember you said the GMAT prefers in that to because in another post.


Thanks.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2006
Posts: 98
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 06:09
OA C!
I just wanted to show that "in that" not always better than "because".

Last edited by Piter on 13 Sep 2007, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 584
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 06:16
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
I say A for same reasons as ashkrs.

Also notice the original sentence says: "could produce"


C states "is able to produce"

C changes the meaning of the original sentence.

Askrs can you inform us more on in that vs. because.


I just remember you said the GMAT prefers in that to because in another post.

Thanks.


This is what I had from Sahils notes and other Gmat forums also conveyed the same thing.

Because v/s. In That: When ETS puts ‘because’ and ‘in that’ in a sentence, more often than not, ‘in that’ would be correct. ‘In that qualifies’ the previous sentence, while ‘because’ is just used to show a simple causal relationship.

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

A. because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone
B. because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
C. because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
D. in that their composition , tissues such as tooth and bone, is
E. in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

Here OA is E.
VP
VP
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1391
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 19:18
cause and effect use because

to qualify previous modifier use "in that"

So C should be good here
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2007
Posts: 464
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2007, 20:15
trivikram wrote:
cause and effect use because

to qualify previous modifier use "in that"

So C should be good here


Another thing I noticed is that the following form is the most common "in that" form.

X is Y in that Z

Ex:

The clause "which is hard to follow" is nonrestrictive in that it does not indicate which text is being complained about.

The book is good in that it reflects the swing from past to present with their reasons

Another thing I've seen is:

X differs from Y in that Z

This definition differs from the previous one in that it precludes the possibility that the grammar will generate blah blah.

Hope this helps!!!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 899
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 08:18
Piter wrote:
OA C!
I just wanted to show that "in that" not always better than "because".


nothing is absolute.

just simply having "in that" or "because" or "anything"is not enough. it should be logical, meaningful, and gramatical.

we need the whole sentence correct not a or few words or phrases or clauses. so single word or phrase is not enough but certainly it is a clue.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Oct 2006
Posts: 216
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2007, 13:41
I think ETS are only trying to trick us as 'because of' sounds better and common.
In the example given below, if we leave aside 'because of' , 'in that' - E is the best answer as it is the only one grammatically correct. All other choices have flaws. so we need to realize is that ' in that' conveys the same meaning as 'because of' but grammatical errors are the main issues in choosing the correct answer.


ashkrs wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
I say A for same reasons as ashkrs.

Also notice the original sentence says: "could produce"


C states "is able to produce"

C changes the meaning of the original sentence.

Askrs can you inform us more on in that vs. because.


I just remember you said the GMAT prefers in that to because in another post.

Thanks.


This is what I had from Sahils notes and other Gmat forums also conveyed the same thing.

Because v/s. In That: When ETS puts ‘because’ and ‘in that’ in a sentence, more often than not, ‘in that’ would be correct. ‘In that qualifies’ the previous sentence, while ‘because’ is just used to show a simple causal relationship.

Teratomas are unusual forms of cancer because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone not normally found in the organ in which the tumor appears.

A. because they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone
B. because they are composed of tissues like tooth and bone that are
C. because they are composed of tissues, like tooth and bone, tissues
D. in that their composition , tissues such as tooth and bone, is
E. in that they are composed of tissues such as tooth and bone, tissues

Here OA is E.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 146
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Ans E [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 07:11
A is wrong for another reason...

Correct Idiom is Both 'X' and 'Y'
In A we have ---> both its size and on climate

In Ans 'A' IDIOM is not properly followed
Manager
Manager
Joined: 10 Sep 2007
Posts: 161
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 13:54
according to Stunk and White...."in that" is out of style and should be replaced by "because"
Manager
Manager
Joined: 30 Sep 2007
Posts: 144
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

E seems to be correct [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 02:14
I though over E but when you use "both" there should be usage of "and". In choise E, they have used "as well as".

Choice A is still good.

Choice C is taking extra words.

Why "could produce" is replaced by "is able to produce"?

So A is more precise. Usage of 2 "and" is also correct.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 75
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:19
I defend A.

replacing 'could' doesn't seems to be a good idea.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 May 2007
Posts: 186
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:47
2/3 split
I like the comma

between C , D , E
D&E have flaws and ...i think we need depending

My Answer : C

P.S: I think could in A is not correct in this case as ..it puts in an element of uncertainty ....

I could run from 5 to 10
or
I could run steady at 5

Thats what i think !!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 30 May 2007
Posts: 56
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 08:49
i think participle "depending"is needed here so it is between A and C and 'is able to' is better then 'could' in this context so C for me.
  [#permalink] 03 Oct 2007, 08:49
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts SC-gmatprep jerrywu 6 15 Oct 2006, 07:55
New posts GMATPREP- sc lan583 5 27 Nov 2006, 08:11
New posts SC - GMATPrep tobiastt 4 07 Dec 2006, 11:12
New posts SC : GMATPrep trivikram 5 14 Feb 2007, 19:15
New posts GMAT Prep - SC - Because vs Due to maheshkrishna 2 20 Jun 2008, 09:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

SC - gmatprep - because vs. in that

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.