Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Resolve Paradoxx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [104]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 938 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [14]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 957 [6]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT Date: 09-13-2013
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The amount of time it takes for most of a worker's occupational knowle [#permalink]
Kudos
A. Providing training only to selected employees and only after their skills have already become
obsolete is not likely to be an effective response.
B. This plan only accelerates the problem and does not address the employees' skills.
C. Periodic surveys may provide information to employers butwill notbe enough to prevent
employees' skills from becoming obsolete.
D. Having knowledge of the consequences does not prevent those consequences; employees' skills
will still become obsolete.
E. Correct. This would ensure that all employees have the most current occupational knowledge
and skills needed for their jobs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [3]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Re: The amount of time it takes for most of a worker's occupational knowle [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
perfectstranger wrote:
The amount of time it takes for most of a worker's occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the introduction of advanced manufacturing technology (AMT). Given the rate at which AMT is currently being introduced in manufacturing, the average worker's old skills become obsolete and new skills are required within as little as five years.

Which of the following plans, if feasible, would allow a company to prepare most effectively for the rapid obsolescence of skills described above?

(A) The company will develop a program to offer
selected employees the opportunity to receive training six years after they were originally hired.
(B) The company will increase its investment in AMT
every year for a period of at least five years.
(C) The company will periodically survey
its employees to determine how the introduction of AMT has affected them. I
(D) Before the introduction of AMT, the company
will institute an educational program to
inform its employees of the probable
consequences of the introduction of AMT.
(E) The company will ensure that it can offer
its employees any training necessary for meeting their job requirements.

It is a tough question that I cannot did it for the second time . I did not get the logic behind AMT.

Please provide the OA. This is a OG 13 question, at least that's where I saw it.

I get E for this.

The stem says - " That workers skills become obsolete quicker because technology is eroding their advantage and workers' knowledge is out of date in 5 years."
So what can the company do that would help the workers not become obsolete.

A. No, because by the time they receive the training they will already have been obsolete for a year, and there's no point in keeping them. Strike.
B. This doesn't affect the workers any. The company would pour more money into fixed capital, but this doesn't affect the workers in fact it might speed things up. Strike.
C. Surveying workers doesn't help them. It just gives the company an insight into how they are feeling.
D. Same, it doesn't help the workers to know how they feeling. It doesn't help them with the skills, but it does provide a clue that the next answer choice get right. Hmm, education within the 5 year window can help. Strike.
E. Bingo. If the company offers training for the workers even with the introduction of AMT they will always be kept up to date on their skills and won't go obsolete.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Bigred's analysis is correct.

This is not a weaken question, Aamir. Did someone say it was?

The question is asking us how the company can prepare for a problem described in the argument. What is the problem? The introduction of AMT is making workers' skills obsolete. So what does the company need? It either needs a way to constantly replace its workforce, or it needs a way to keep workers' skills current. None of the options address the first possibility (replacing the work force), but A and E address the second (keeping skills current).

A has several problems. First, as Bigred said, the training might not come in time. Second, the training will only be offered to "selected" employees. Third, we have no idea what this training is. Will it be sufficient to bring the workers' skills up to date?

Contrast this with E, which says that the company will offer "any training necessary" to keep employees' skills up to date. This may be vague (When will this occur? What will the training consist of?), but that doesn't matter in the least! Remember that we are taking these statements as true. If the company is truly going to do whatever is necessary, it doesn't matter what it is. We know the problem will be taken care of!

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for your great explanation. I am pretty sure i saw that this question is a weaken type on the powerscore site. Anyways, i am going to give the gmat on the 5th of november for which i have preparing from many months now. My question to you is how i should go about improving my cr and sc in the last few days? I have studied the mgmat sc guide like 3 to 4 times and gone through the powerscore book for cr once. I somehow still do not feel confident because my performances on the practice tests have been very inconsistent. In the last few days should i just focus on the questions that i have been getting wrong hope that my strengths do not let me down? or should i go through the notes that i have made during my preparation. I should point out that i am pretty confident that i remember most of the concepts i picked up from the books i have gone through although application of these concepts still evades me during the test.

Any kind of suggestions will be higly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aamir.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Glad to help!

Honestly, there isn't much you should do in the last few days except eat well, get enough sleep, and otherwise make sure you are in the best mental and physical shape possible for the challenge ahead. As far as studying goes, the best thing you can do is get in a little mixed review and focus on your strategies for test day. This is not the time to learn new approaches or try to change your existing approaches to any significant degree.

You certainly don't need to read the strategy guide again. It's much more important to work on applying those ideas yourself. Do small timed sets of problems and then review every single problem untimed before checking the answers. How confident are you that your selected answer is correct?
Can you prove that your answer is right and the other four are wrong? If not, what's getting in the way? If two or more answers seem plausible, what is the difference between them, and how well do they connect to what the problem is asking you to do? (One of the most common sources of error is that we're providing a great answer to a different question than what we've been asked.) Once you've reviewed thoroughly, then check the answers and re-review as needed before looking at the explanations. (For SC, use our GMAT Navigator rather than the explanations in the OG.)

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: AGSM '16 (I)
GMAT Date: 08-02-2015
Send PM
ayushi wrote:
The amount of time it takes for most of a worker’s occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the introduction of advanced manufacturing technology (AMT). Given the rate at which AMT is currently being introduced in manufacturing, the average worker’s old skills become obsolete and new skills are required within as little as five years.
Which of the following plans, if feasible, would allow a company to prepare most effectively for the rapid obsolescence of skills described above?
(A) The company will develop a program to offer selected employees the opportunity to receive training six years after they were originally hired.
(B) The company will increase its investment in AMT every year for a period of at least five years.
(C) The company will periodically survey its employees to determine how the introduction of AMT has affected them.
(D) Before the introduction of AMT, the company will institute an educational program to inform its employees of the probable consequences of the introduction of AMT.
(E) The company will ensure that it can offer its employees any training necessary for meeting their job requirements.

As per the passage , the answer choice should help company to enable its employees in providing advanced training .
It should actually fill the gap between skills of workers becoming obsolete and company efforts in to train workers within five years.

Answer choice A does not fill the gap as it exceeds the time frame "to receive training six years after"
Answer Choice B - does not provide link between company and worker
Answer Choice C- Irrelevant - as this does not help company
Answer Choice D - Same as C
Answer Choice E - Best choice

Regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
This is a question that tests POE solely.
We arrive at the OA not because we feel it is right answer but we dislike all other choices. :!:

1. worker's knowledge and skills has been declining to become obsolete because of the some technology (AMT).
    2. hence, the average worker's old skills become obsolete and new skills are required within as little as five years.

(A) The company will develop a program to offer selected employees the opportunity to receive training six years after they were originally hired...............what about skills which get obsoleted by 5 yrs? not a good plan :magic

(B) The company will increase its investment in AMT every year for a period of at least five years..........can we ensure the skillupdation just by investment. NO :no

(C) The company will periodically survey its employees to determine how the introduction of AMT has affected them..........survey will help us study but does not change the situation.

(D) Before the introduction of AMT, the company will institute an educational program to inform its employees of the probable consequences of the introduction of AMT...............what about after 5 years? :roll:

(E) The company will ensure that it can offer its employees any training necessary for meeting their job requirements...........so called perfect plan just like our 5 year plans. :wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 608 [1]
Given Kudos: 1348
Send PM
Kudos
The amount of time it takes for most of a worker's occupational knowledge and skills to become obsolete has been declining because of the introduction of advanced manufacturing technology (AMT). Given the rate at which AMT is currently being introduced in manufacturing, the average worker's old skills become obsolete and new skills are required within as little as five years.

(A) The company will develop a program to offer selected employees the opportunity to receive training six years after they were originally hired.-- [color=#00ff00]Argument says "new skills are required within as little as five year". This option says training after 6 years after they were originally hired. Too late to prepare employees for new skills.[/color]
(B) The company will increase its investment in AMT every year for a period of at least five years.--More investment in AMT but no improvement in employee skill is not gonna benefit company much.
(C) The company will periodically survey its employees to determine how the introduction of AMT has affected them.-- What finding the "effect" then what company is going to do is not mentioned.
(D) Before the introduction of AMT, the company will institute an educational program to inform its employees of the probable consequences of the introduction of AMT.--Company is going to inform employee but is it going to increase employee skills ? We do not know.
(E) The company will ensure that it can offer its employees any training necessary for meeting their job requirements.--Ah ha!. This option says Company will ENSURE that its employees get training for meeting their job.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The stem describes a situation in which the intro of AMT will cause the increase in obsolescence of employee skillsets.

We are then asked to select a plan that would allow companies to prepare for their employees' rapid obsolescence of skills.

A is incorrect because training 6 years after the 5 year obsolescence cut-off would mean employees skillsets are already obsolete, so this plan doesn't allow the company to 'prepare', rather it is a reactive approach to remedying an existing issue.
B is incorrect because this would only increase skill obsolescence, it wouldn't help employees .
C is a lure answer as a survey can help identify whether employees' skillsets are adequate, but it doesn't highlight how the company can prepare their employees for this obsolescence
D is incorrect because it doesn't prevent the inevitable.
E is correct because it clearly highlights a proactive approach to inevitable skill obsolescence predicted by the intro of AMT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 217
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
The amount of time it takes for most of a worker's occupational knowle [#permalink]
Hello experts, MartyTargetTestPrep ReedArnoldMPREP

Although I chose the right answer E,
I am still skeptical about E.

The question stem is - Which of the following plans, if feasible, would allow a company to prepare most effectively for the rapid obsolescence of skills described above?

E- The company will ensure that it can offer
its employees any training necessary for meeting their job requirements.

first of all - company will insure- its not certain, many companies make many promises but they don't usually achieve those.
second- it can offer- doesn't mean will offer. still not certain.

question is asking - "would allow a company to prepare", means one of the choice (best one) should eliminate the problem if applied. but saying something(can or ensuring) doesn't mean it will elimante the problem.

Although this one is closest one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Send PM
The plan that would allow a company to prepare most effectively for the rapid obsolescence of skills described above is option (E): The company will ensure that it can offer its employees any training necessary for meeting their job requirements.

Given the introduction of advanced manufacturing technology (AMT) and the declining rate at which occupational knowledge and skills become obsolete, it is crucial for a company to adapt and provide continuous training to its employees. Option (E) ensures that the company is committed to offering its employees the necessary training to meet the evolving job requirements caused by the rapid obsolescence of skills. By continuously updating and upgrading their skills, employees will be better prepared to handle the changes brought about by the introduction of AMT. This approach enables the company to keep its workforce skilled and adaptable in the face of technological advancements.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts