Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 06:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 03:56
I was going through the Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books thread and was surprised to see that neither the SC Grail nor RC99 figure in the recommended books section.
I think that it is high time that these books be included in the "Best GMAT Verbal Prep Books".
I am personally using both the books and can vouch for the fact that they're better than most other books out there.
I see many of us giving the same opinion,so I don't see a reason why the SC Grail shouldn't be included in the Recommended books section. I have used the Princeton Review Verbal Workout for the GMAT and have found it to be very unstructured and lacking in quality. For that matter , if you'd have used the Kaplan books, you'll see the same problem. So if these books can be there in the recommended section, I think SC Grail should also be there.
What do you guys say ?

It's a dawg eat dawg world!

Last edited by target2010 on 18 Dec 2010, 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 05:37
I agree indeed.

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2010, 01:59
I think more than the SC Grail it's the RC99 that needs to be added to the 'Recommended Books' section.

For SC at least there are good books like manhattan available but there is no good practice material available for RC. Most of the books just keep talking about strategy but I think the only way to improve one's performance on RC (unless you have really been in the habit of reading) is practice and more practice. The RC99 is the best book for this purpose.

And I don't know why there is a LSAT RC book in the 'Recommended Books' section. I think the general consensus is that LSAT RC is quite different from GMAT RC.

I strongly think RC99 should be added to this section.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 08:06
Have finally bought both the books :-D

GMAT date is 15th Jan.

99 passages in 20 days :shock: should be good fun
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2010, 08:17
good luck with that. Keep in mind that the SC grail is pretty dense, don't get bogged by the tiny details.
Cheers

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 06:11
drisss wrote:
good luck with that. Keep in mind that the SC grail is pretty dense, don't get bogged by the tiny details.
Cheers

Thanks pal :)

I'm actually not finding the SC Grail dense at all. The bullet point style of writing really makes it simple to grasp the concepts. Finished the whole book in 2 days and plan to go through it again 2-3 times. Manhattan SC was dense actually, took me a week to finish it and even then i couldn't grasp a lot of things.

Will start with the practice question set from tomorrow. :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 14:53
Thanks whiplash and others for your reviews/comments on Aristotle grail. I was hunting for decent SC/RC material as I took the GMAT 3 months back and could not really absorb Manhattan GMAT. I actually found MGMAT SC book a little confusing. So I hope this book and the MGMAT SC together will help me inmprove my SC.
kudos +1 ,whiplash
1 KUDOS received
Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 19:12
This post received
KUDOS
heygirl wrote:
Thanks whiplash and others for your reviews/comments on Aristotle grail. I was hunting for decent SC/RC material as I took the GMAT 3 months back and could not really absorb Manhattan GMAT. I actually found MGMAT SC book a little confusing. So I hope this book and the MGMAT SC together will help me inmprove my SC.
kudos +1 ,whiplash

You might benefit from PowerScore SC. I also found MGMAT SC too detailed, but once I went through PowerScore SC, MGMAT made more sense to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2010, 06:19
krazo wrote:
You might benefit from PowerScore SC. I also found MGMAT SC too detailed, but once I went through PowerScore SC, MGMAT made more sense to me.

Kudos,+1...thank you....that really helped! I thought I was the only one finding MGMAT SC book confusing :oops:
I think I"ll get the powerscore copy and go through it first,anyway,I've already done MGMAT SC for my last attempt. Thanks
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 42 [2] , given: 1

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Kudos,+1...thank you....that really helped! I thought I was the only one finding MGMAT SC book confusing :oops:
I think I"ll get the powerscore copy and go through it first,anyway,I've already done MGMAT SC for my last attempt. Thanks

Its probably not a very good idea to use too many books to prepare for SC. Most people tend to go overboard and get their hands on everything that's available which just leads to a lot of confusion at times.

If you are finding MGMAT SC confusing I suggest you go through the Aristotle SC Grail first and then go back to Manhattan SC. You'll find it much less confusing that way.

Overall MGMAT SC and SC Grail should be more than enough in my opinion. Good luck to you guys :thumbup:

My 760 debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 05:55
rishiraj wrote:
If you are finding MGMAT SC confusing I suggest you go through the Aristotle SC Grail first and then go back to Manhattan SC. You'll find it much less confusing that way.

Overall MGMAT SC and SC Grail should be more than enough in my opinion. Good luck to you guys :thumbup:

Thanks for this and +1 to you. I'm going to follow just this. I am also using a grammar book to supplement my learning especially since Ihave forgotten a few basics :oops:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2011, 08:00
One who buy MGMAT SC book has more chance to answer the hardest question. It is my perspective. And there is only a few questions in the Aristotle SC
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 20:07
I'm about to start studying for SC. I already have MGMAT SC and I plan to get Aristole SC base on this review. Which book should start first? Or should I study both books at the same time?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 03:40
Samwong wrote:
I'm about to start studying for SC. I already have MGMAT SC and I plan to get Aristole SC base on this review. Which book should start first? Or should I study both books at the same time?

Posted from my mobile device Image

It is a general consensus that MGMAT SC can be fairly detailed and confusing so its best if you start with Aristotle SC Grail first 'coz its very concise and summarises the concepts in simple language and then move to Manhattan as I think you'll be able to absorb Manhattan better that way. Later on you can keep alternating between the two books.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.73
WE: Research (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2011, 09:39
any one know how is this guide compare to gmat grammar guide?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 07:34
Version 2 of the Grail comes with 100 practice questions.

My gmat story
MGMAT1 - 630 Q44V32
MGMAT2 - 650 Q41V38
MGMAT3 - 680 Q44V37
GMATPrep1 - 660 Q49V31
Knewton1 - 550 Q40V27

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 20:54
Merfolk17 wrote:
any one know how is this guide compare to gmat grammar guide?

What is the GMAT Grammar guide? u mean the gmatclub grammar guide?

Quote:
One who buy MGMAT SC book has more chance to answer the hardest question. It is my perspective. And there is only a few questions in the Aristotle SC

By that logic Manhattan SC has no practice questions :lol:

Its best if you do both specially if you are someone who likes to know all the details of grammatical concepts since the Grail is more GMAT-specific and doesn't go much into detail.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 00:17
I'm a little confused now, does the SC Grail have practice questions or not?

Can someone please clarify.

Thanks.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 329

Kudos [?]: 1331 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 00:37
They have recently released a set of practice questions that goes with the guide, but its to be bought separately, I think.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 15:20
I just bought the Aristole SC Grail guide for $15 and it does include 100 practice questions. If you only want the 100 practice questions without the guide, then you can buy it for $5.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2011, 15:20