Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2011, 01:34
Samwong wrote:
I just bought the Aristole SC Grail guide for $15 and it does include 100 practice questions. If you only want the 100 practice questions without the guide, then you can buy it for $5.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

This is indeed correct. I have got the 2nd edition of the SC Grail and it came with 100 practice questions. A much needed addition in my opinion because it makes it very easy to understand the concepts described in the book by applying them to questions.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2011, 21:00
There's a kindle edition of the SC Grail available on amazon com for $9. Is this the same book? Does anyone know why there is a price difference then?
Manager
Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2011, 03:51
Paulrichards wrote:
There's a kindle edition of the SC Grail available on amazon com for $9. Is this the same book? Does anyone know why there is a price difference then?

The kindle edition is the first edition of the book. It does not contain the 100 question practice set that is there in the 2nd edition. You'll have to buy this separately for $5 so it will come to the same.

I recommend you buy the 2nd edition since the practice questions really make it easy to understand the concepts described in the book.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 31

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 11:49
Thanks so much! This is very helpful!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 09:39
Thanks Whiplash for the excellent review.Purchased the book today on reading this review. Don't you think that the review should be updated as now the second edition comes with a Questionbank,so the 2nd point in the Cons doesn't hold true now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 115

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2011, 15:22
Friends,
Does this RC book have strategies as well or is it only the practise questions ? Please pardon my ignorance :-D
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 3

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 08:44
This post received
KUDOS
heygirl wrote:
Friends,
Does this RC book have strategies as well or is it only the practise questions ? Please pardon my ignorance :-D

This is the thread for discussions about the SC Grail. Here is the link for the RC99 review thread, you can post your RC queries here - review-of-rc99-by-aristotle-prep-107742.html .

To answer your question RC99 has 99 practice passages only, it does not contain any strategies as such.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 09:41
foofighter5 wrote:
To answer your question RC99 has 99 practice passages only, it does not contain any strategies as such.

Thanks for the reply! +1 to you :-)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2011, 20:30
I think I'll buy the book based on the reviews in this thread. Have already gone through Manhattan SC twice but end up getting confused in a lot of the topics like Subjunctives and Modifiers. My only worry is that I have heard that the SC Grail doesn't go into the details, so do you guys think this book would help me get more clarity on topics?

Thanks
Manager
Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 07:09
bob75 wrote:
I think I'll buy the book based on the reviews in this thread. Have already gone through Manhattan SC twice but end up getting confused in a lot of the topics like Subjunctives and Modifiers. My only worry is that I have heard that the SC Grail doesn't go into the details, so do you guys think this book would help me get more clarity on topics?

Thanks

Dude the SC Grail doesn't go into the details that you don't need to know. Otherwise it pretty much covers everything. If you want the details of grammar you already have manhattan sc guide, use this book as a ready reckoner to give you a quick idea of what works and what doesn't work on the GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 16:23
bob75 wrote:

Thanks

I went through both simultaneously after one read through of MGMAT SC. I thought Grail helped clarify areas in MGMAT SC, since MGMAT SC gets bogged down into details.

Personally, I find the SC Grail 100 questions of low quality, but the guide is pretty useful.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 01:59
Quote:
I went through both simultaneously after one read through of MGMAT SC. I thought Grail helped clarify areas in MGMAT SC, since MGMAT SC gets bogged down into details.

Personally, I find the SC Grail 100 questions of low quality, but the guide is pretty useful.

I think the questions are more of a mixed bag - some are difficult and some are easy. I think they work more from the point of view of clarifying the concepts tested in the Grail, those pg. no. references in the answer explanations really come in handy.

Overall I think the book is quite good, everytime I go through it I learn something new.
Intern
Intern

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 05:46
Finally bought the book and went through the whole thing in 4 hours (except the Q bank of course :-D )

I like the way the book is structured, all the important rules are pointed out clearly in bullet points. I actually liked the basic grammar review section in the beginning of the book a lot because it helped me brush up my knowledge of basic terms such as adjectives and adverbs. Always thought adverbs modify verbs, never thought they could modify adjectives as well. Guess its been a long time out of school :lol:
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 09:30
heygirl wrote:
Friends,

This is hilarious! You've made a SC book an RC book ! :-D
Intern
Intern

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 01:35
Can someone who has completed the book guide me on how to do the question bank. Should I do the questions as I do the concepts or should I complete all the concepts first and go to the question bank in the end?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 15:18
shovitdhar wrote:
heygirl wrote:
Friends,

This is hilarious! You've made a SC book an RC book ! :-D

:-D :-D
Shovitdhar, I meant to post it for RC but since the discussions was about Aristotle books , which have SC and RC books , I decided to just post here.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 06:41
Has someone used e-GMAT? I'd appreciate if veterans can review it as well.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2011, 21:54
the kindle edition doesnt do the job :( . buy the second edition

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2011, 20:54
bob75 wrote:
Can someone who has completed the book guide me on how to do the question bank. Should I do the questions as I do the concepts or should I complete all the concepts first and go to the question bank in the end?

Thanks

I think you should first go through the first three sections of the book a couple of times. Try the questions after this and irrespective of whether you get a question correct or incorrect, go through its explanation just to see if you could identify all the errors correctly. Also most answer explanations have a pg no. reference to some concept discussed in the book, go back to that page and go through that concept once again. This will reinforce the concepts in your head.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 21:02
Quote:
I think you should first go through the first three sections of the book a couple of times. Try the questions after this and irrespective of whether you get a question correct or incorrect, go through its explanation just to see if you could identify all the errors correctly. Also most answer explanations have a pg no. reference to some concept discussed in the book, go back to that page and go through that concept once again. This will reinforce the concepts in your head.

Good luck!

Thanks buddy :-D

That's exactly what I've been doing. Have completed around 70 questions with a 85-90% accuracy rate; is that decent?
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2011, 21:02