Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
11 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 1415 [11] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 21:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I heard a bit about this from the forum and decided to check it out. I was searching for some reviews, spoke to a few people who had used this and decided that it was worth checking it out (and it was only $15).

Overall Conclusion: Definitely worth the money!!! (4.5/5)

PROS:

1. Very concise! This book actually has the basics of grammar, the sentence correction error types, and some other miscellaneous errors that are bound to trip you up on the GMAT.
2. Not too much detail. They don't go into startling depths about the issues that are useless on the GMAT.
3. The content is organized in a very effective manner. To me what was striking about the book was the fact that it first introduced the concept and then it has a section for each error type (they discuss 7) that talks about how that particular error was tested on the GMAT.
4. The Idioms List! This list is monstrously comprehensive and gives you a really good idea of some of the most common idioms tested on the GMAT.
5. The miscellaneous section talks about style and other awkward errors that cannot really be grouped into any category.
6. Overall, the organization is crisp and concise. Everything is bullet-pointed and helps you keep moving on faster. So if you want a quick fire way to get the concepts right, this book is right for you. And it's cheaper than most things, there's no worries about availability (it's an online download through PDF).

CONS

1. It is a PDF. Printing out the book will kill trees. Several of them. The book is only 115 pages long, but to print that on your computer could be tedious. Printing two pages to a side works a little better, but this is still a problem for people who want to carry it with them.
2. There are no practice problems or associated content. So, you might feel like you understand the concepts really well, but then there's nothing to test it out on. Though the book mentions some problems in the OG, this is still not enough. You will need a guide like MGMAT SC or Veritas Prep SC to go along with this to make sure you really get the idea.
3. It doesn't go into too much detail. While this is a great plus point, it's also a big negative. There are some really small errors that a 700+ test taker might encounter that you might have not seen before in this book. So if you're looking for that 750, maybe getting MGMAT SC along with this book would be the way to go.

Overall: Pretty good! This would make an excellent supplement to MGMAT SC. Read this first and then go through MGMAT SC for stuff you might have missed out on and you should be set!

Comments are welcome from other users who have used this book!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 19

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 22:10
I think SC grail covers the topic of subjunctive mood more clearly. Till i read the SC grail, I was repeatedly getting the subjunctive questions wrong. But now I can nail those questions a lot easier.

Secondly, their free material about verb tenses is very detailed. A must read.

Overall, a very good buy for 15$.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 09:04
I actually got it for a deal ( steal ) from Amazon.com. They had a kindle edition for $ 1.00. It is very good refresher. The very next day the price was $ 15. :) Yay !!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 1

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 01:23
Good review by Whiplash. Very nicely listed down the pros and cons.
I fully agree with the rating for the book.It's worth the money!
I especially liked the SC Grail for the fact that I could easily refer to the concepts given in the book whenever I had any doubt. The second good thing about the book is that the book teaches you grammar to the point which is relevant. It doesn't give you a overdose of grammar nor does it superficially address grammatical concepts.
I could understand the OG explanations better after going through SC Grail.

In my opinion,both MGMAT SC Guide and Aristotle SC Grail have their strengthens(and of course their weaknesses) so rather than using either MGMAT SC Guide or Aristotle SC Grail ,using both the books will go quite a long way in building the right approach to tame the demons of Sentence Correction.

My 760 debrief

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 09:26
mattapraveen wrote:
I think SC grail covers the topic of subjunctive mood more clearly. Till i read the SC grail, I was repeatedly getting the subjunctive questions wrong. But now I can nail those questions a lot easier.

Secondly, their free material about verb tenses is very detailed. A must read.

Overall, a very good buy for 15$.

Ya, same here. Even I had difficulty understanding the subjunctive mood from MGMAT SC properly. Now I think the concept is quite clear to me. I'm quite better off at Tenses now after going through their free resource on Tenses.

By the way,good review by whiplash.
Kudos from me !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 09:19
I have joined the forum some days back and was browsing through the posts to search for material and came across this post. Guys,can anyone tell me doing this book alongwith MGMAT SC Guide help me get a 700+ ?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 09:58
Absolutely NOT. Reading and learning from EVERY SINGLE BOOK out there still won't get you to 700+. These books can guide you, but what you learn from these books and how you implement it is upto you.

Yes, MGMAT SC and Aristotle SC are decent in their coverage but nothing can guarantee you 700 +
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 20:33
THE THING I AM APPRECIATING MOST ABOUT SC GRAIL IS THE IDIOM LIST. THE LIST IS DETAILED AND FULL OF EXAMPLES.

When going gets tough, tough gets going.........

Manager
Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 02:21
HopefulOldie wrote:
Absolutely NOT. Reading and learning from EVERY SINGLE BOOK out there still won't get you to 700+. These books can guide you, but what you learn from these books and how you implement it is upto you.

Yes, MGMAT SC and Aristotle SC are decent in their coverage but nothing can guarantee you 700 +

Ya, I understand ,but then what is the magic recipe of getting a 700+ because I have read a lot of posts here of people who worked hard but then also scored less than 600 ????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 11:34
using the SC Grail for over 4 days... Love it! I second everything whiplash2411 says.
Also, the other RC 99 from Aristotleprep an amazing book.
Hits the nail for RC passages. (30$ together worth it)
1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 347

Kudos [?]: 1415 [1] , given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 13:11
This post received
KUDOS
foofighter5 wrote:
HopefulOldie wrote:

Ya, I understand ,but then what is the magic recipe of getting a 700+ because I have read a lot of posts here of people who worked hard but then also scored less than 600 ????

Exactly. So there is no magic recipe. What works for me might not work for you and what works for you might pull my score down by 50 points. The key here is to read the debriefs of people who have scored well above a 700 and take what you want out of it. The only magic is determination and effort. If you stay determined, you'll eventually get the goal. How long it takes is for you to decide.

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2010, 23:12
rg1 wrote:
You are correct whip. I actually reported back similar feedback in another thread. I think it should be considered as REFRESHER and not really a GMAT SC book. Any book should provide questions to actually absorb and implement concepts described.
Thanks for organizing information in a formal thread:).

Received a mail from Aristotle Prep yesterday informing that they are coming out with a practice set of questions next week as an accompaniment to the SC Grail. :-D

The mail says that people who have already bought the SC Grail will get these questions free of cost. Will post an update once I get this practice set.
Manager
Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2010, 20:30
shovitdhar wrote:
Received a mail from Aristotle Prep yesterday informing that they are coming out with a practice set of questions next week as an accompaniment to the SC Grail. :-D

The mail says that people who have already bought the SC Grail will get these questions free of cost. Will post an update once I get this practice set.

Hi

Any update on this practice set. Have you received it? Is is good?

Thanks

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 04:47
foofighter5 wrote:

Hi

Thanks

Yes I have received the practice set.

Just two days to go for my test so haven't yet had the time to go through all the questions. Will do so tonight and tomorrow and fill u in after Wednesday. Wish me luck :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 04:58
Good luck, we will be waiting for your debrief!!!! (including what Aristotle really brought to your performance).

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 26

Reviews Badge
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 12:10
Just downloaded the question set.. going to take a look through it in the coming weeks.. currently working through 1000SC and will reattempt OG12 in Jan

Test day will be end of Jan/beginning of Feb.

Has the SC Grail changed at all? I find it odd that Aristotle would release a 2nd edition without changing the guide itself..
Manager
Manager

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2010, 20:04
shovitdhar wrote:

Yes I have received the practice set.

Just two days to go for my test so haven't yet had the time to go through all the questions. Will do so tonight and tomorrow and fill u in after Wednesday. Wish me luck :)

Good luck buddy!!

Look forward to your debrief :-D

Premium Member
Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 05:51
drisss wrote:
Good luck, we will be waiting for your debrief!!!! (including what Aristotle really brought to your performance).

You can read my detailed debrief here - from-630-730-mission-accomplished-detailed-debrief-106346.html.

As I have mentioned the Aristotle books really helped me a lot, specially in RC where I haven't been able to find any other decent practice material. RC99 is really a terrific book.

Quote:
Hi

Thanks

As i had posted earlier i got these questions a couple of days before my actual test but i made it a point to go through each one. I found most of the questions to be of average difficulty level but i think the real benefit of these questions accrues when you use them with the SC Grail since most of the answer explanations have page references to the SC Grail to ensure you are absolutely clear in your SC concepts. There is also a table at the end giving a break up of questions by error-type which I thought was very useful.

All in all an excelllent addition to the SC Grail and a steal at $15! :P
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:31
I just gave a look at it, and i have a really good opinion about it !!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 07:59
Thanks for your feedback, I'll have a look at your feedback.
cheers

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Re: A Review of Aristotle Prep SC Grail   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2010, 07:59