Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 882 [606]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [457]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [300]
Given Kudos: 130
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 585 [39]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
study wrote:
Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendents, popular known as killer bees had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

A. Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

B. In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

C. In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

D. It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when

E. It took less than 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then

cannot understand the verb tense agreement: 'release' and the verb 'had been'. Can someone explain after choosing the correct answer. Thanks

First, please make sure that you post the original sentence correctly! The non-underlined part doesn't make sense as written. The sentence should read:

Quote:
Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendants, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

There's nothing glaringly wrong with the original, so we should either confidently pick it or scan the choices looking for differences.

If we choose to scan, we see that one difference is the opening phrase.

Let's combine the opening phrase with the final one, ignoring the parenthetical comments:

A) Less than 35 years after the release of X, their descendants had migrated as far as Y.

Sounds good!

B) In less than 35 years since releasing X, their descendants had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

"Their descendants" doesn't modify those who did the releasing, so "since releasing" is wrong - eliminate.

C) In less than the 35 years since X had been released, their descendants had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

"In less than the 35 years" is idiomatically incorrect. The proper idiom would be "In the less than 35 years" - and would change the meaning of the sentence - eliminate.

D) It took less than 35 years from the release of X, when their descendants had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

"when" must refer to a time period; "it took less than 35 years" isn't a time period - eliminate. (The author could have said "It took less than 35 years from the release of X for their descendants to migrate as far as Southern Texas.)

E) It took less than 35 years after the time that X were released and then their descendants had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

So many errors, so little time! The whole thing sounds horrible (always a good reason to eliminate a choice), the tenses don't make any sense and "it took less" certainly doesn't go with "and then" - eliminate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [23]
Send PM
Re: Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Go with A

B. In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, -- Since is incorrect - coz since means from a point of time to till date.
C. In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,-- same as B
D. It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when -- from.. when unidiomatic. and pronoun it is unnecessary
E. It took less than 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then -- same as D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [21]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Mo2men wrote:
Dear Mike,

I'm little bit confused about 'less than' in this question.

Why do not we use ' fewer than 3 years'? Is not 'years' countable word?

Thanks

Dear Mo2men,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The general rule, as you well know, is "fewer" for countable nouns and "less" for uncountable nouns.

A curious idiomatic exception to this pattern concerns units. Some units are so frequently used that they are, as it were, proxies for what they measure. Of course, the unit themselves are countable, but what they measure is typically uncountable. Thus
"less than $10" really means "less money than $10"
"less than seven hours" really means "less time than seven hours"
"less than five miles" really means "less distance than five miles"
"less than 25 lbs" really means "less weight than 25 lbs"

You see, when we are talking about a time of about 3 years, we are not really talking about three separate countable things: we are just talking about a continuous bulk of time. We would only talk about years as countable, say, if were were talking about something that very specifically happened just once a year, such as a big annual award. For example,
For the eight years inclusive from 1938 to 1945, the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded in fewer than half of those years.
In this context, the each year is a separate and countable thing. This is not how we are talking about time when we just want to know, how long did X last?

That last paragraph deals with subtleties far beyond what the GMAT is likely to test.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [15]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
sandipchowdhury wrote:
Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendents, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.

(A) Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

(B) In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

(C) In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,

(D) It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when

(E) It took less than the 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that less than 35 years after African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, the bees' descendants had migrated as far north as southern Texas.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Pronouns + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A: Correct. This answer choice uses the phrase "Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo" to modify the clause "their descendants...had migrated as far north as Southern Texas", less than 35 years after African honeybees were released, by someone else, outside Sao Paulo, the bees' descendants had migrated as far north as southern Texas. Further, Option A avoids the pronoun error seen in Options D and E, as it uses no pronouns. Additionally, Option A is free from awkwardness and redundancy.

B: Trap. This answer choice alters the meaning of this sentence through the phrase "less than 35 years since releasing"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly modifies "their descendants", incorrectly implying that the African honeybees released their descendants outside Sao Paulo; the intended meaning is that someone else released the African honeybees outside Sao Paulo. Additionally, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "In less than", leading to awkwardness and redundancy; this usage is redundant, as "In" can be deleted without a loss of clarity.

C: Trap. This answer choice redundantly uses the past perfect tense verb "had been released" alongside the word "since"; remember, when the chronology is clear because of terms such as "before/after/when/earlier/later"…or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either. Further, Option C uses the needlessly wordy phrase "In less than the", leading to further awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "It took less than" and "when their descendants...Texas"; the construction of these phrases incorrectly implies that the descendants of African honeybees had migrated as far north as Southern Texas, at the same time as the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, and some unspecified event occurred less than 35 years later; the intended meaning is that less than 35 years after African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, the bees' descendants had migrated as far north as southern Texas. Further, Option D suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "It" lacks a clear referent.

E: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrases "It took less than" and "and then their descendants...Texas"; the construction of these phrases incorrectly implies that some unspecified event took place less than 35 years after African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and after that event, the bees' descendants had migrated as far north as Southern Texas. Further, Option E suffers from a pronoun error, as the pronoun "It" lacks a clear referent. Additionally, Option E redundantly uses the past perfect tense verb "had been released" alongside the word "then"; remember, when the chronology is clear because of terms such as "before/after/when/earlier/later"…or because of clear mention of dates, use past perfect tense is not required, though not incorrect either. Besides, Option E uses the needlessly wordy phrase "after the time that African honeybees were released", leading to further awkwardness.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... t1864.html

^Description of answer. Tough question:>>
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
wait wait wait, how has nobody commented on the phrase "popular known as" in the original sentence. i am assuming OP made a typo and this was to be "popularly known as"

i would say best answer is also A. C is just very wordy to me, both a and c are saying the same thing in essence.

just my own opinion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [18]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Really good question !
Demonstrates how a past perfect tense can be used in a sentence without the use of simple past preceeding it ... I hate exceptions !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [12]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. ..after the release .. had migrated
B. ..since releasing .. had migrated
C. ..had been released .. had migrated
D. ..from the release .. had migrated
E. ..were released out.. had migrated

all the options apart from A have tense agreement problem
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [19]
GMAT 2: 800
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sandipchowdhury wrote:
Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendents, popular known as killer bees had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.
A. Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
B. In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
C. In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
D. It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when
E. It took less than 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then

Let me give you my humble opinion.

B incorrect because, in part, of the misplaced modifier rule: whatever "releasing" is referring to needs to follow the comma after Brazil. However, "their descendants" (of honeybees) is unacceptable for obvious reasons.

C incorrect because "since" must be followed by an event at a particular point in time in the past (i.e, since 2000; since the release of the honeybees, since the honeybees were released). For this reason, the past perfect is inappropriate and you must use the simple past if you opt for a conjugated verb. Do NOT use the past perfect in the "since" clause, period. Also using "the" before 35 years is incorrect.

D and E incorrect:
D and E do not need any serious discussion as they offer an awkward sentence construction not used in English. Avoid that construction at all times (it... ,when or it...,and then)
Also "from" in D and "after the time" are not adequate in this context.

A is the correct answer.
Less than 35 years is enough-No need of the beginning "in".
A great way to check whether A is correct is to have the two clauses switch places; begin with the main clause "their descendents, popular known as killer bees had migrated as far north as Southern Texas and finish with the subordinate clause "less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil". This gives us:

Their descendents, popularly known as killer bees, had migrated as far north as Southern Texas less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil.
This is indeed a correct sentence.

Now, try the same technique with the other choices and tell us whether you like the resulting sentence. Which seems the most natural and fluid to you?
Finally, if A ain't broken, don't try to fix it.

I hope this helps.
Bye now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [7]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos