Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC-Law

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 93
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

SC-Law [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 11:47
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

29% (02:02) correct 71% (01:45) wrong based on 5 sessions
Guys,

Could you try the SC below? Please explain your answer.

Q18. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by
imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by
imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Posts: 1097
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 15:04
Ignoring the modifier "punishable by imprisonment", it seems that D's "making it a crime for a citizen to hold" is correctly formed.

I am only starting in the GMAT prep world, so perhaps my answer is wrong, anyway.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2005
Posts: 1133
Location: India
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 1

 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 16:24
mNeo wrote:
Ignoring the modifier "punishable by imprisonment", it seems that D's "making it a crime for a citizen to hold" is correctly formed.

I am only starting in the GMAT prep world, so perhaps my answer is wrong, anyway.


Agree with D.
Also, D correctly gives the required cause-effect relationship.
" Because of X, immigrants had to Y "
_________________

Trying hard to conquer Quant.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 281
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 21:41
It is D

The usage is because of X, Y

Only A comes close, but is incorrect because of wrong usage of subjunctive
_________________

AimHigher

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 93
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 09:37
Thanks guys,

I myself had picked D before posting this SC. IMO was B. But B is akward because of "with", so I'll go with D on this SC.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-Law [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 10:58
dvtohir wrote:
Guys,

Could you try the SC below? Please explain your answer.

Q18. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold gold in the form of bullion or coins, immigrants found that on arrival in the United States they had to surrender all of the gold they had brought with them.

A. On account of a law passed in 1993, making it a crime punishable by
imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
B. With a law passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by imprisonment that a United States citizen hold
C. A law passed in 1933 that made it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen holding
D. Because of a law passed in 1933 making it a crime punishable by imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold
E. Due to a law being passed in 1933 that makes it a crime punishable by
imprisonment for a United States citizen to hold


I remember reading on one for the forums, "because of" has a higher precedence than "On account of" and "Due to".Can anyone please confirm this?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 93
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 11:04
goalsnr:

You are right. On the GMAT almost always "because" or "because of" is preferable to "on account of" and "due to". Like the case with the word "being" GMAT writers don't like "on account of" and "due to"
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 877
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 03:26
AimHigher wrote:
It is D

The usage is because of X, Y

Only A comes close, but is incorrect because of wrong usage of subjunctive


Hi AimHigher...hows A wrong usage of subjunctive??
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Posts: 529
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 22:19
abhinava wrote:
I will also go with D


I too chose D but the OA that I have is B. Any other takes ???
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2004
Posts: 1474
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 13

 [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2007, 22:43
Amit05 wrote:
abhinava wrote:
I will also go with D


I too chose D but the OA that I have is B. Any other takes ???


Most places quote the answer as D. I don't agree with B either. Does anyone know the source of this question?
  [#permalink] 08 Sep 2007, 22:43
Display posts from previous: Sort by

SC-Law

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.