Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 20:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC NEED EXPLANATIONS

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

SC NEED EXPLANATIONS [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 12:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 2 sessions
I'm posting 5 SC's, i know the answers but i need to know more so taht these errors dont happen in the past. So if possible please specify the kind of error each one has how to trap such errors.

[Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could] help reverse blockage of coronory aryeries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

a) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could

b)Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

c) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could

d)Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

e)Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
Manager
Manager

SC [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 12:42
Artificial intelligence emerged during the late 1950's as an academic discipline based on teh assumption that computers [are unable to be programmed to think like people]

a] are unable to be programmed to think like people

b] were able to be programmed to think as people

c]can be programmed to think as people can

d]could be programmed to think like people

e] are capable of being programmed to think like people do
Manager
Manager

SC [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 12:46
The proposed health care bill would increase government regulation oh health insurance, [establish standards that would guarantee wider access to peole with past health problems and to workers changing jobs who] otherwise could be uncovered for months

a] establish standards that would guarantee wider access to peole with past health problems and to workers changing jobs who

b] establishing standards that would guarantee wider access to peole with past health problems and to workers who are changing jobs

c] to establish standards that would guarantee wider access to peole with past health problems and to workers who change jobs that

d] for establishing standards that would guarantee wider access to peole with past health problems and workers changing jobs who

e] for the establishment of standards that would guarantee wider access to peole with past health problems and to workers who are changing jobs that
Manager
Manager

SC [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 12:51
Ir is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that [all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them and to] drive them to market when the time is ripe.

a] all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them and to

b] all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them and

c] all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and

d] the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them and

e] the only thing that has to be doen with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them and
Manager
Manager

SORRY FOR THE MISTAKES IN THE FIRST LINE [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 13:13
Sorry for the mistakes in the first line Imeant mistakes in the future and not in the past, infact correcting SC for so many month i've forgotten to bother about my own sentences. :lol: :lol: :2gunfire:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

Re: SC NEED EXPLANATIONS [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 19:12
See my response in Line

aps_can wrote:
I'm posting 5 SC's, i know the answers but i need to know more so taht these errors dont happen in the past. So if possible please specify the kind of error each one has how to trap such errors.

[Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could] help reverse blockage of coronory aryeries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

a) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could

reverse should logically refer to consumption....it should be "reverses."

b)Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

1. Better usage is.....Despite the fact that no foods have been proven to .....
2. Having been is not suitable for action completed in the past..in this case, the proof.

c) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could

similar to the error in b....i beleive the correct usage is " proven to"
and "proved that"

d)Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

clumsy usage..."Although not proved" and consumption should take reverses...not reverse

e)Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

E is best...Correctly uses "proved that" and corrects the error of subject verb agreement as in "consumption - will reverse".

I am worried about the usage of CAN and COULD ...akamai..please give us some examples to make the distinction clear
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2003, 22:12
1)e
2)d
3)a (im guessin btw a and d)
4)b

let me know :done

regards
Manager
Manager

ANSWERS [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2003, 03:22
1]E
2]D
3]B
4]C

These are actual GMAT papers Q, Ineed the explanations badly as there were no explanations given along with the papers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2003, 12:21
In question 2, answer D seems to have a logical error:

By using "like" is comparing nouns not actions. Therefore it is comparing people with computers.
So it suggests that people also could be programmed to think.

By the way, all rest of the answers seem also wrong to me.
:cry:
Manager
Manager

SC [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2003, 12:39
LIKE IS NOT MODIFYING PEOPLE(NOUN), IT IS MODIFYING PEOPLE THINK
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2003, 12:57
Sorry man.. I don't get your explanation :cry:

"like" COMPARES two or more things... it does not modify.

And acorrding to Kaplan and PR should only be used to compare nouns, not actions.

"Think" is a VERB therefore is an ACTION

so: "Computers think like people" seems wrong to me ...

what am I missing here?
  [#permalink] 24 Aug 2003, 12:57