Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 18:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 304 [3] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 22:04
This post received
KUDOS
Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, searches for alternative
investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies
• searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading
manufacturing companies
• searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking
for alternative investment opportunities
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities
outside of the manufacturing industry
• the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its
shareholders
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 22:05
Found in the wild only in Australia and New Guinea, powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from
other large mammals
• powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from other large mammals
• powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from other mammals that are large
• powerful back legs with long feet distinguish kangaroos from those of other mammals that are large
• kangaroos are distinguished from other large mammals by powerful legs with long feet
• kangaroos are being distinguished from other mammals that are large by powerful legs with long feet

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 22:08
Hoping to alleviate some of the financial burdens of a growing population, property taxes last year were raised by
an eleven percent increase by the county government
• property taxes last year were raised by an eleven percent increase by the county government
• property taxes were raised by eleven percent last year by the county government
• the county government raised property taxes by an eleven percent increase last year
• the county government last year raised by eleven percent property taxes
• the county government raised property taxes by eleven percent last year

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 22:10
Used until the end of the Second World War, the German army employed the U-boat to attack both military or
civilian watercraft.
• the German army employed the U-boat to attack both military or
• the U-boat was employed by the German army to attack both military and
• the U-boat employed the German army to attack both military or
• the German army had employed the U-Boat to attack both military and the
• the U-boat has been employed by the German army to attack both military and also

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 22:12
Jean-Jacques Rousseau contended that man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society,
that
compels man to compare himself to others.
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, that
• man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted only by society, that
• only man is good when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which
• man is good only when in “the state of nature” but is corrupted by society, which

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2012, 22:16
With companies spending large parts of their advertising budgets online, the market for content such as feature
articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and by individual users, are expanding

rapidly.
• the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and
by individual users, are expanding
• the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and
by individual users, are expanding
• the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by a professional writer, a blogger, and
individual users, is expanding
• the market for content such as feature articles and opinion essays created by professional writers, bloggers, and
individual users, are expanding
individual users, is expanding

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 00:47
Here is the link to main thread

sc-new-questions-700-level-130947.html#p1076122

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2012, 08:12
Great Exercise.
So happy that I got them all.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 18

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 18:45
mohankumarbd wrote:
Hi All,

Once in a while, when practicing SC, I used to come across some questions not present on this forum. So am going to dedicate this thread to those though 700-800 level questions. We see if can post them topic wise.

So these are not necessarily new questions, but those that we haven't come across on this forum.

1. Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor in the cost structure of an airline, have risen
and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
outlook for the upcoming quarter.
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
• has risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their

i pick c. the company management is singular so D and E out. have risen doesnt agree with the subject the price. so A and B out. please correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: AGSM '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 23:48
mohankumarbd wrote:
Hi All,

Once in a while, when practicing SC, I used to come across some questions not present on this forum. So am going to dedicate this thread to those though 700-800 level questions. We see if can post them topic wise.

So these are not necessarily new questions, but those that we haven't come across on this forum.

1. Noting that the price of oil and other fuel components, a major factor in the cost structure of an airline, have risen
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
• has risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their

The main subject of the sentence is the PRICE, in singular form. Hence, choice A and B are out.

Second, "their outlook" does not refer to anything, so choice D and E are out. The correct answer after POE is C.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 36

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 00:10
Got 1. That was a very good problem IMO. Got 2. Also a good one, but easier. Got 3. Good problem. Got 4. Starting to suspect that these aren't 700 level questions. Skipped 5. Saw that in another thread. Got 6. Meh. These aren't 700 level questions. I'm going to make a question bank at some point of questions I can't easily hit.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 00:52
hi guys

if anyone is looking for some tips with respect to the quant and verbal section, i can help them out. i have been doing so for quite some time now. i took my gmat in 2009 and scored a 760 (verbal- 42, quant-50). i followed it up with an year at ISB, Hyderabad.

you can get in touch with me @ 9873209590 and we can talk more about it. feel free to call me during the day or to sms during the later part of the day

i can entertain questions wrt the applications process as well

thanks
sid
Manager
Manager

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 00:26
mohankumarbd wrote:
Mathematical analysis of humpback whale sounds provide evidence that animals other than humans use a hierarchical
structure of communication.
• provide evidence that animals other than humans
• provides evidence that animals other than humans
• provide evidence that an animal other than humans
• provides evidence that an animal other than a human
• provide evidence that animals, like humans,

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

easy split mathmatical analysis is singular so A, C and E are out. "animals" is plural so D is out

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

Manager
Manager

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 00:34
mohankumarbd wrote:
Hoping to alleviate some of the financial burdens of a growing population, property taxes last year were raised by
an eleven percent increase by the county government
• property taxes last year were raised by an eleven percent increase by the county government
• property taxes were raised by eleven percent last year by the county government
• the county government raised property taxes by an eleven percent increase last year
• the county government last year raised by eleven percent property taxes
• the county government raised property taxes by eleven percent last year

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

i pick E here, "hoping" modifies the subject "the country Gvt" so A and B are out. raised and increase is redundant so C is out. D is just awkward

Manager
Manager

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 01:01
mohankumarbd wrote:
Discouraged by new data that show increases in toxic emissions from domestic factories, searches for alternative
investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies
• searches for alternative investment opportunities are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading
manufacturing companies
• searches are being conducted by shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies who are looking
for alternative investment opportunities
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies had begun searching for investment opportunities
outside of the manufacturing industry
• the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities for its
shareholders
• shareholders of the nation’s leading manufacturing companies are searching for alternative investment opportunities

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

i pick E here. according to the intended meaning of the sentence, "discouraged" modifies shareholders. so A, B and D are out. past perfect is required in this sentence. hence E fits the bill

regards

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2012, 03:22
Hi,

Thanks for posting these questions. I just feel these are probably sub 600 level (or I have gotten better at this in a hurry) :lol:

But thanks nonetheless, appreciate your effort (to all contributors)

With regards
CK
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 07:54
Thanks for the questions; however, I cannot believe they are all 700 level questions!!! I would place many of them at 600-700
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 15:23
GetThisDone wrote:
Hi All,

and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their outlook for the upcoming quarter.
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their - Have does not match to Price
• have risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the- Have does not match to Price
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the - Correct
• has risen and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their - their refers to Company management. Wrong/
• will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their - Same as D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 22:41
Got only the 1st one wrong. Eliminated the answers down to C & E

and will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their outlook for the upcoming quarter.

C. will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about the
E. will continue to rise, the company management was pessimistic about their

Should've selected C because it already mentions the company management.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT Date: 01-09-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2012, 21:24
Since the mid-1990s, the central government of Botswana has been forcibly removing native Bushmen from the
Central Kalahari Game Reserve; the government justifies their actions by stating that it is too costly to provide such
basic services like medical care and schooling to such a remote area.
• justifies their actions by stating that it is too costly to provide such basic services like
• justifies their actions by stating it is too costly and expensive to provide such basic services as
• justify their actions by stating that it is too costly to provide basic services like
• justify its actions by stating that it is too costly and expensive to provide such a basic service as
• justifies its actions by stating that it is too costly to provide such basic services as

As Government is singular, usage of 'their' after justifies is wrong in option A, B and C.

In option D, costly and expensive, both mean the same. So its redundant. And two services are mentioned here- Medical Care and Schooling. So it should be services instead of singular ' service'

Hence option E is the correct answer.
Re: SC - new questions - 700 - 800 level   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2012, 21:24